• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

What an epic, EPIC blunder from the league. First it was "people like goals in hockey, lets screw with things however we have to to increase goals!", now its "people like the WC and its a huge cash cow, lets do whatever it takes to get more of them!"

This league is becoming more of a joke by the day....

Honestly... people liked it because it was unique. It was once a year... one match-up... one outdoor game. No wonder it made money for the league... it was that big of an event. You take that same event and divide it by six and that's what you're going to end up with. People are going to grow old and not see the same excitement because there are similar games being played around the nation. 

...it just sucks. You don't have that one match-up circled on your calender. You don't need to save up for the big event... now you can choose from one of the six. All because one event makes money, doesn't mean it will make the same equivalent when broadcasted six times. I understand they need and want venue... but this is not it. This is no good. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#62 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

nov·el

2  [nov-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngl] of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before.

7 outdoor games in one season doesn't really fit the description, not even with "fairly" tacked on.   

Thanks captain dictionary. Over literal interpretations aside, you get what I was saying. 

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#63 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

It'll be interesting to see how they pull off an outdoor game in California.

It will be the 1st ever NHL "roller" hockey game.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#64 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Six games is not novel.  Especially when it's the same teams over and over again.  The only novel one would be Dodger Stadium. Outdoor games by themselves aren't a bad idea, they are fun for people who attend.  But it's a blatant cash grab, and people are sick of being reminded of how crass sports can be sometimes.  

Let me let you in on a secret... ALL professional sports are 'blatantly' about making money. Every logo, every stadium, every jersey, television broadcast, PR statement, piece of memorabilia, the entirety of the winter classic... is about making money. It's a good thing, and 'crass' doesn't factor into the equation. ;)

#65 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thanks captain dictionary. Over literal interpretations aside, you get what I was saying. 

You're welcome.  I figured you needed to hear the official definition since you were using the word in a situation in which it does not apply.  Yes, I get what you were saying, and I still disagree with you.  

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#66 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

NHL Official Release:  Because so many teams wanted one, next season there will be 8 Stanley Cups.

Really?  You seriously want to give Gary ideas?  It's all fun and sarcasm now, but just wait until it happens. :P

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#67 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

#68 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Chapiteau%20Cirque%20Passion%20black%20s

Uncle Gary says: "I'll make up all the lost revenue on the backs of 'the greatest fans in the world'".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#69 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

What a bunch of hipsters.  Something becomes popular and you all don't like it anymore.  Would you all be whining if the Wings weren't granted the Winter Classic next year but was added to play the beloved Minnesota Wild outdoors?

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#70 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

What a bunch of hipsters.  Something becomes popular and you all don't like it anymore.  Would you all be whining if the Wings weren't granted the Winter Classic next year but was added to play the beloved Minnesota Wild outdoors?

Yup.  Too much of a good thing and all that.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#71 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Can't wait for the upcoming documentary "My Travels With Pierre".

Thank goodness there's only one game scheduled in Canada.

#72 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

So two original 6 teams are getting one damn game, another original six team is getting two and has been in the classic 3 years ago.

• Ducks vs. Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25 --> Summer Classic
• Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan. 26 --->Who cares?
• Islanders vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan 29
• Penguins at Blackhawks, Soldier Field, March 1 no words
• Senators at Canucks, BC Place, March 2 --->at least two canadian teams

I love hockey, but I really loathe this league, you lost revenue because the people running the show are complete idiots make that up by providing a better product a frist step would be, to fire this little man and his countryclub named BOG.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#73 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Let me let you in on a secret... ALL professional sports are 'blatantly' about making money. Every logo, every stadium, every jersey, television broadcast, PR statement, piece of memorabilia, the entirety of the winter classic... is about making money. It's a good thing, and 'crass' doesn't factor into the equation. ;)

You want to know a secret?  It's not wise to be so condescending to people around here.  I mean, if you want to be a huge **** then go ahead.

It's not that it's popular, it's that there are too many games and the idea of the WC is being watered down.  Imagine if they had the Olympics 4 times a year.  Nobody would care anymore.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#74 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Imagine if they had the Olympics 4 times a year.  Nobody would care anymore.

Yes. Thank you.

#75 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I found it odd that Uncle Gary held an "early" news conference for Detroit's re-visit to the Winter Classic, as it is usually held in the summer.

Now I know why.

#76 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Wow, I really don't understand all the outrage. I get that it's no longer as unique, but watching more outdoor games is pretty darn awesome to me. At only 6 games, it will still be fairly novel.

nov·el

2  [nov-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngl] of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before.

7 outdoor games in one season doesn't really fit the description, not even with "fairly" tacked on.   

You're welcome.  I figured you needed to hear the official definition since you were using the word in a situation in which it does not apply.  Yes, I get what you were saying, and I still disagree with you.  

Perhaps you wish to take this to PM's? In this context, fairly novel should be taken to mean uncommon, rare etc... which would certainly apply, since you know, there are 1,230 total games in a regular hockey season, and we are talking about 6 games. FYI, I might have also used 'fairly unique', which also wouldn't make sense from a strict dictionary perspective, but to anyone not being purposefully obnoxious... would likely be taken to mean uncommon, rare, etc.

So that being said, since you stated you do in fact understand what I am trying to say, I am surprised you think that 6 games out of 1230 would not be considered uncommon or rare...?

Edited by RedWingsDad, 17 April 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#77 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'd sooner hear about expansion than this farcical plan.

#78 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Watering down a great produc, not caring about the integrity of the sport and even kill one of the last coll things - the ASG has just become a joke years ago - may be about making money, but it is a bad and a very bad thing. Hopefully this is going to fail miserable and heads will start to roll soon.

This league needs to go back to its roots, which is tough hockey and less marketing, PR and other stupid stuff.

Turning the Winter Classic into an average event AND adding a summer classic on top of it is just too bad to be true. Some things are and should always be bigger than making money, how about integrity, tradition and novelty of the sport?

Also if the league wants to make money, how about allowing great teams to be great again? Yeah I guess thats too easy and obvious for some of the NHL bosses pathetitic league and even worse front-office hate them all.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 April 2013 - 12:03 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#79 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Perhaps you wish to take this to PM's? In this context, fairly novel should be taken to mean uncommon, rare etc... which would certainly apply, since you know, there are 1,230 total games in a regular hockey season, and we are talking about 6 games. FYI, I might have also used 'fairly unique', which also wouldn't make sense from a strict dictionary perspective, but to anyone not being purposefully obnoxious... would likely be taken to mean uncommon, rare, etc.

So that being said, since you stated you do in fact understand what I am trying to say, I am surprised you think that 6 games out of 1230 would not be considered uncommon or rare...?

I'm confused...are we talking about you or somebody else?

What's less common, 1 out of 1230 or 6 out of 1230?

Edited by rrasco, 17 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#80 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

This is just the worst.  So, the Winter Classic now kicks off a virtual season of outdoor games?  What about the cost of putting these things on versus the fact that we're going to start seeing half-empty stadiums as they continue to dilute the product.  If Gary thinks that he can get 100,000 or even 40,000 fans to go to every one of these now that it's not a one-time event, he's nuts. 

Not even to mention the risks to player safety as they will invariably play on terrible ice and some of these. 

The NHL HAD something with the 24/7 lead-in and a real "event" feeling to the Winter Classic.  That took a chunk out of that with the lockout, and this will kill the allure even more.