136 replies to this topic

#101 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

My as well just take the roof off arenas and play every game outdoor.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#102 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

from business perspective, this is a great move. these games are sold out for whatever they ask for. I'd also say, tv rating would be as high as if it was only one or two games.

from fan perspective, this is a horrible move. for one reason jealousy.

however, if the league will keep doing it year after year, all benefits will water down.

Agreed.  I don't think anyone has a problem with the league making money.   More revenue, the cap goes up, that benefits the Wings.  But from a fan's perspective, it's about maintaining integrity while also making money.

Like putting advertisements on the players jerseys.  That would make the league a ton more money.  Is it going to change in any way how hockey in the NHL is played?  Absolutely not.  But I still hope they never do such a thing because even though the game is exactly the same, it cheapens it. 

The Winter Classic had integrity and by it's exclusivity of once a year it was a special event.  The amount of promotion, build up to the game, everything keyed in this one outdoor game.

Adding 5 other games certainly isn't the end of the world, but it took an incredibly unique event and basically turned it into 6 hockey games that are played outside.

#103 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Way to ruin a good thing.  Bettman kills the goose that lays the golden egg.  

Don't like.   :nono:

Edited by RedWingsRox, 17 April 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#104 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Aaaaaaaand its ruined.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#105 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

I feel bad for the people of Atlanta. If they'd only hung in there a little longer...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#106 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I remember seeing the Cold War at MSU back in the day.  What a great environment to see a game in.  It was damn cold outside and the atmosphere was electric.  Well worth seeing that game that is for sure.  I have been to the second cold war game at Michigan and that was a little less exciting.  Still, it was worth going to.

I am just fine with the NHL putting on 6 outdoor games a year.  Risky?  Yes.  The tickets will sell out though.  Just as they sold out for MSU vrs Michigan.  Just like they sold out for the Heritage Classic in Canada.  The novelty will always be there, and when it isn't, they will stop playing games outdoors.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#107 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I could see adding a second one, maybe.  But 5 more?  Part of the increased ratings for the Winter Classic is the New Year's Day time slot.  Now that there aren't any meaningful football games on, it fills a void for sports fans.  Other than the warm weather game, no real novelty to any of the other games in terms of dates or time or anything. 

One thing I don't get is that the impression was always given that planning the Winter Classic took so much time and planning and had that there was so much involved logistically.  Now they can just add 5 games in less than a year with no problems whatsoever?

#108 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

canucks and senators will be the Heritage Classic. should be a good game.

i wonder if the ducks and the kings for their outdoor game will wear those jerseys they wore in the mid 90s that failed miserably. lol

pens and hawks will be something unique. i just dont get why the NY Rangers get 2 within a couple days of each other.

#109 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

Agreed.  I don't think anyone has a problem with the league making money.   More revenue, the cap goes up, that benefits the Wings.  But from a fan's perspective, it's about maintaining integrity while also making money.

Like putting advertisements on the players jerseys.  That would make the league a ton more money.  Is it going to change in any way how hockey in the NHL is played?  Absolutely not.  But I still hope they never do such a thing because even though the game is exactly the same, it cheapens it. 

The Winter Classic had integrity and by it's exclusivity of once a year it was a special event.  The amount of promotion, build up to the game, everything keyed in this one outdoor game.

Adding 5 other games certainly isn't the end of the world, but it took an incredibly unique event and basically turned it into 6 hockey games that are played outside.

It also has an impact on the TOR/DRW game. Non hockeyfans will look at this game and be like "oh well there are 6 outdoor games and one of those is in a big stadium" they won't know that these teams are original 6 franchises with huge fanbases playing a "real" Winter Classic so they are also watering down "our" Winter Classic which is pissing me off beyond believe.

http://www.weatherwe...om/archives/796 so nice having a "Rollerblades Classic" scheduled ey NHL?

Edited by frankgrimes, 18 April 2013 - 03:23 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#110 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

...so they are also watering down "our" Winter Classic which is pissing me off beyond believe.

All throughout the lockout, I was wondering how Bettman was going to screw up this Winter Classic (and, in the process, create another Penguins Classic) and I guess I have my answer.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#111 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Wonder no more.

#112 OldMan333

OldMan333

Attitudes Are Contagious

• 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

If the NHL is going to have more than one or two outdoor games a year, they should get serious about doing it right. Have 5 games a year (maybe New Years Day, then every Saturday night in January) and rotate the teams and venues so that each team plays outdoors once every 3 years, and each team gets an outdoor home game once every 6 years. Or (gulp) do 10 games each year so each team gets 2 every 3 years and a home outdoor game once every 3 years. Watching your favorite teams outdoors on TV would still be noteworthy events, and a chance to attend an outdoor home game only once every 3 or 6 years would still be a special opportunity. If I knew every Saturday night during the core winter months of hockey season I could tune in and watch an outdoor game (the only one either of those teams will play that year, and the only time at that venue for 3 to 6 years - or ever, if a city moves their outdoor venue around) -- That would be cool.

#113 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm with the general consensus around here.  This game was special.  Once a year we have the Winter Classic in the US and the Heritage Classic in Canada.  It was a 1 game special event on January 1st that was the best possbile way you could ring in the new year and now it's just another outdoor game.  Adding 5 more games may be good for revenue, but it takes away the glamour.  And 2 for the Rangers?  Come on already.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#114 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Games played thus far...

Heritage Classic: 2003, 2011

Winter Classic: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

#115 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Senators and Canucks should've been the only other outdoor game next year.

bringit.jpg

#116 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Surprised if Boston doesn't get one now, too

#117 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

canucks and senators will be the Heritage Classic. should be a good game.

i wonder if the ducks and the kings for their outdoor game will wear those jerseys they wore in the mid 90s that failed miserably. lol

pens and hawks will be something unique. i just dont get why the NY Rangers get 2 within a couple days of each other.

Rangers get 2 games because they will be held around the same time period as the Super Bowl is held in New York/New Jersey.

#118 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

I was in favor of two-three games not sure how I feel about 6 but it's a cash cow and spotlight and more than 8-10 good or big teams deserve to have it

Rangers get 2 games because they will be held around the same time period as the Super Bowl is held in New York/New Jersey.

Yea it's gonna be huge ill be in attendance for at least one
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#119 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

It's really not  surprising when ya consider the amount of $$$ the WC can generate.

Too bad it's all about $$$ these days, and nothing else.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#120 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Just imagine how much money the league would make if they had multiple Stanley Cup final series.  Every region gets one!

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.