136 replies to this topic

#121 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

From NHL:

The Chicago Blackhawks will host the Pittsburgh Penguins at Soldier Field in an outdoor game next season.

The NHL says the game is scheduled for March 1, 2014, at the home of the NFL's Chicago Bears.

The event is part of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, a group of NHL regular-season games planned for outdoor locations during the 2013-14 season.

"Series"? Series-ously?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#122 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Pretty soon the NHL will hatch a plan for sunbelt teams to have outdoor games too, in the all-new Roller Ball Classic!  Games will count just the same, because why not?  Seriously though, playing these games outdoors as late as March is such a dumb idea... even when they had the Winter Classic in a place like Pittsburgh, which gets snow in December and January, the temperature was above 60 and it rained that year!  So making plans for Los Angeles to have an outdoor game, and other places to play outdoors in March, the chances are too high for a disaster.  It's like they are knowingly crapping on the sport.

Edited by Resetti, 01 May 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#123 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

From NHL:

Hockey fans in southern California will have an opportunity to watch some of their favorite NHL stars next year in possible 80-plus degree temperatures from the great outdoors when the Los Angeles Kings play host to the Anaheim Ducks at Dodger Stadium on Jan. 25, 2014.

The event is part of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, in which the NHL plans to play a number of regular-season games in outdoor venues in 2013-14. The League already announced another game in this series last week, revealing plans for a outdoor game at Soldier Field, featuring the Chicago Blackhawksand the Pittsburgh Penguins, to be played on March 1, 2014.

"With their meeting in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, the Ducks and the Kings will write the next chapter in the exciting story of NHL hockey in Southern California," Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "At a venue that represents so much glorious sports history, this match-up of Stanley Cup champions will raise our outdoor initiatives to bold new heights. We know the game will be a treat for our fans, and we thank the Ducks, the Kings, Coors Light, Dodger Stadium and the Los Angeles Dodgers for bringing it to life."

Uncle Gary = "The Ernest Angley of Hockey".

#124 Glubki

Glubki

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

From NHL:

Uncle Gary = "The Ernest Angley of Hockey".

I just read about the SoCal game on another site. They used the 1991 Vegas preseason exhibition that was played in 85 degree weather as a comparison and template for a successful outcome. I'm surprised the NHLPA isn't fighting this because of the threat of injury. They can't even maintain quality ice indoors during the spring in the south let alone outdoors.  

If you have an online nemesis you are spending too much time online....

#125 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

I think a whole lot of Coors Light factored into the decision to play an outdoor game in southern California at the end of January.  What a disaster that will be.

#126 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

I just read about the SoCal game on another site. They used the 1991 Vegas preseason exhibition that was played in 85 degree weather as a comparison and template for a successful outcome. I'm surprised the NHLPA isn't fighting this because of the threat of injury. They can't even maintain quality ice indoors during the spring in the south let alone outdoors.  

And just how successful was that Vegas exhibition game? I've heard comments that the ice was horrible.

#127 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

I live in southern CA and I have absolutely no desire to go to a game like that here. Mainly because I hate both of those teams.. But still. The NHL is kind of like Hollywood is with 3d movies. Just throw as much dog poop out there as you can and just assume the people will flock to it. The sad thing is, is that I'm sure that its gonna work. I'd rather have 1 outdoor game a year and that's it. The WC is still going to be the best game, that's what matters most.

#128 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Ice in Los Angeles won't be a problem, as long as Lindsay Lohan sticks to her rehab regimen.

I fully believe that the League's "plan" wasn't concocted overnight, that it was roughed-out before Lockout v3.0. All of Uncle Gary's bleating about "lost revenue" because of the lockout seems pretty hollow now. It's sad that the "lost revenue" will be more than made up out of the wallets of "the greatest fans in the world".

#129 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

It's a matter of preference.  Do you all want it to be a one-time event annually?  If so, you probably won't like this, as is the majority.  If you want the league to be more popular in general, it's probably a good thing with all these games.

I'm all for a few more outdoor games a year.  If it's the league's goal to pull this off on an annual basis now, it'll likely eventually run its course but even though I pretty much just watch games of my favorite team, for any sport, it's a cool concept that typically isn't done much.

And 6 times a year out of hundreds and hundreds of games in a season isn't much at all.  Enough to keep the concept in your minds, but not overdoing it and hopefully drawing some new fans along the way.  If you just want 1 outdoor game a year, well I don't know what to tell you.

I look forward to tuning into all of these games.  Probably one of the very few but all for these games.

#130 WINGS TILL DEATH

WINGS TILL DEATH

The Enforcer. "I want my name to be spagetti"

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

It's a matter of preference.  Do you all want it to be a one-time event annually?  If so, you probably won't like this, as is the majority.  If you want the league to be more popular in general, it's probably a good thing with all these games.

I'm all for a few more outdoor games a year.  If it's the league's goal to pull this off on an annual basis now, it'll likely eventually run its course but even though I pretty much just watch games of my favorite team, for any sport, it's a cool concept that typically isn't done much.

And 6 times a year out of hundreds and hundreds of games in a season isn't much at all.  Enough to keep the concept in your minds, but not overdoing it and hopefully drawing some new fans along the way.  If you just want 1 outdoor game a year, well I don't know what to tell you.

I look forward to tuning into all of these games.  Probably one of the very few but all for these games.

I'm cool with more outdoor games, but no southern market teams.

#131 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

I pause and wonder why the Rose Bowl was not chosen as the location for the game in Los Angeles.

#132 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

I don't even want it annually, would prefer something like all 2 or maybe even 3 years to keep it unique and special. Having a Rollerblade-Classic is not my understanding of an outdoor-game but I guess uncle Gary and his stupid BOG don't care much about the integrity of the game. Personally speaking I also don't want the league to be more popular all I want is good, tight hockey with enforcers, hard-hitting and less comparisions with other league, hockey is hockey it is different and I like it that way.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#133 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

With this newly invented concept of a "series", it shouldn't be too long before games at FedEx Field and Cowboys Stadium are announced.  

#134 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

It is the NHL led by guys who aren't hockeyguys so I guess everything is possible at this point. After Rollerbladeclassic in California all I am waiting for is desert classic...

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#135 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

The NHL may re-think the idea of southern outdoor games when a player passes out from heat exhaustion and dehydration.  But hey, they're just cattle, they like the heat.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#136 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Ballpark number (no pun intended)...6 outdoor games this season should generate aprox $20 million in revenue for NHL and NHLPA.

#137 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

The Winter Classic alone generated 20-30 million depending on which source you quote - did they miss that?

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011