• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
joshy207

Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Helm

Rate this topic

How much help will any of these guys really be if they can return to action? They have played 7, 4, and 1 game(s) respectively in the last 12 months. Helm and Bertuzzi are coming off back injuries and Samuelsson, well, who knows what's really wrong with that guy. They'll have no more than 4-5 games to "get back in shape", recover their timing, etc. before (if) the playoffs begin. Are any of them truly better options at this point than the guys who have been playing night in and night out? As much as I like Helm, I'd probably have to say no to all of them. Your thoughts? Do you put any of these players in your postseason lineup?

(Mods, I know there's a thread on each of these guys, but this was a general question relating to all three players and their roles going forward...)

Guest DeGraa55

Sammy I don't think is any help considering who he would replace. Bert I think would be a help especially if cleary rode the pine.

And helm would help our defense but not or scoring problems...I do think a line of helm tootoo I and miller or eaves would be pretty good. But once again that's not a scoring line....which we need.

Guest DeGraa55

I would play Tatar, but I'm also president of his fan club.

esteef

Well I'm not president but I agree play him. I'd rather see him over helm or Sammy.

I think Bert will be a big help. With Pavel he's good and he could help us if any of these last games go to the shootout (I've stated this in other threads).

Helm is great on the PK and he's fast. We aren't the fastest team and if we meet Chicago it can't hurt to have a guy who can keep up. Of course, that's if he were coming back which...he isn't.

Samuelsson I honestly couldn't care less.

Edited by Ally

Helm would help cuz he can play with speed and help defense and PK. Bert would be a big help for Dats cuz he plays good with him. Sammy won't help at all, it just seems like when we put him in we get blown out.

Edited by Jericho613

I would play Tatar, but I'm also president of his fan club.

esteef

I second Tartar but I also would like to see Helmer back. He's skaeted everyday this week and Bab's never said hes done for the year.He said he's not relying on him.

I don't think Helm comes back this season, Bertuzzi and Sammy will help. I'm not a fan of Samuelsson's but he can be clutch sometimes, and has been on a Stanley Cup team with us in 08, and can get hot. Bertuzzi and Datsyuk is a nice mix of skill and size, which both will be badly needed if the Wings make the playoffs.

Guest The Axe

Leave them all out this year. Buy out Sammy and Bert after we win the cup.

Guest Crymson

Helm won't be back, and Sammy won't be effective. Bertuzzi should make some kind of impact. He could help us control the puck at the very least, although he will be slower than molasses most likely.

Given that he's been practicing for some time now, I doubt that will be the case.

I thought BEFORE the season and all the injuries that Sammy and Bert were already done being effective Top 6 players. For all the unfair stuff this organization gets blamed for, the MOST fair criticism is their apparent reliance on "crutch" players they go back to (and usually overpay) when nothing else works out. They did it with Bert, Jason Williams, and Kyle Quincey, and probably others.

People say guys like Tatar aren't "ready" to be Top 6 forwards on a playoff team, but if their replacement is a guy who no longer belongs in the Top 6, that's even worse because you're riding declining players into their NHL grave, when you could be developing and evaluating young players on the way up.

Helm won't be back, and Sammy won't be effective. Bertuzzi should make some kind of impact. He could help us control the puck at the very least, although he will be slower than molasses most likely.

With how many offside calls we have had this year, a trailing player no going offsides would be very welcomed...

I thought BEFORE the season and all the injuries that Sammy and Bert were already done being effective Top 6 players. For all the unfair stuff this organization gets blamed for, the MOST fair criticism is their apparent reliance on "crutch" players they go back to (and usually overpay) when nothing else works out. They did it with Bert, Jason Williams, and Kyle Quincey, and probably others.

People say guys like Tatar aren't "ready" to be Top 6 forwards on a playoff team, but if their replacement is a guy who no longer belongs in the Top 6, that's even worse because you're riding declining players into their NHL grave, when you could be developing and evaluating young players on the way up.

To be fair, last season Bertuzzi and Samuelsson both produced at better than a .5 point per game clip. They would both be playing on the 2nd or 3rd line, and it wouldn't be a stretch to say they would probably be producing at or near the same level. Same thing went for Williams when he was brought back. None of these players were brought in as big time additions to the team. They have or had (in Williams case) affordable cap hits, and give the team some secondary scoring. Besides, who do the Wings fall back on if these young players that are being "developed and evaluated" on the big club don't pan out or aren't ready?

Back to the original question. I doubt any of them could contribute any less than Filppula and Brunner are right now, so what would it hurt to put them in the line-up? Helm would make the team harder to play against, and Bertuzzi and Samuelsson would give them a couple of forwards that like to shoot the puck. Samuelsson would probably be a little better as a RH point on the PP than Brunner has been as well.

Forward Todd Bertuzzi continues to skate in his attempt to return from a pinched nerve in his back. He is hoping to be ready fro Monday's game against Phoenix, but Babcock isn't so sure.

“I don't know. No idea. We'll see,'' Babcock said. "Anytime you miss the whole year, it's hard.

"We need to win games, so (do) you play a guy who hasn't played all year? Those are good questions. We'll answer them when he's ready.''

Center Darren Helm did not make the trip because of concerns about his back would react to long flights. He is skating in Detroit.

Forward Mikael Samuelsson (bruised pectoral muscle) skated by himself after practice today.

Injury updates, and Babcock isn't so quick to insert Bert back into the lineup with these games on the line.

I'm kind of torn on this subject. The Joe Louis crowd loves Todd Bertuzzi, he energizes the building just stepping out onto the ice. And if he fights, or throws a big hit the place goes up. And that's huge in the postseason. Then there's Sammy, everyone is pretty sure he'll be gone in the summer, he hasn't had a chance to show if he still has any game because of injuries. But in the past, Sammy has scored huge goals in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xO_57ZN4Oo

The guy was clutch, but that was 4-5 years ago and he's not yet game ready. Helms status is out for the year, so I'll leave it at that. Babs will have decisions to make if the boys ever get healthy enough to play.