• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I refrained from throwing my shoe at Mule in Nashville this past weekend.  Heaven knows, I have not been not happy with him.  :glare:  

He actually DID look like he cared, I have to say.  He was good out there, it's like the overachieving Abby/Z/Datsyuk line made him sit up and take notice?  Something... whatever, I will take it, let's see if he can continue and be consistent in this upswing.  Mouth-guards all stayed in place, but he had a nice little snarl going on out there at times.  I also came close to trading Franzen to the Preds fan next to me at the game, for Legwand (their current bag o' pucks).  I decided to keep the lazy Swede I know.  Hopefully, that was the right decision.  :lol:

By the way, I ran into Abby and Z in the hotel elevator (separate occasions) over the weekend in Nashville.  We have named Z/Abby/Dats the "Elevator Line" and think they should be doomed to ride the glass elevators with us forever, or until they stop scoring.  LOL~

Overachieving?

#22 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

wait... now, who was saying 'we like our team'? Babs or Holland?! ... or both?

#23 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Now lets see him produce hard... Hope his actions and words match
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#24 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Franzen's talent + Cleary's drive and desire =  pretty good hockey player.

We have the technology, we can build him...

Add a dash of Tootoo for good measure

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Franzen's talent + Cleary's drive and desire =  pretty good hockey player.

We have the technology, we can build him...

If we're making hybrids I'd rather Franzen's size with Zetterberg's drive and desire.

But I guess that's basically Anze Kopitar. :lol:

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

If we're making hybrids I'd rather Franzen's size with Zetterberg's drive and desire.

But I guess that's basically Anze Kopitar. :lol:

A Mr. Potato Hockey Player.... Genius, pure genius!
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Franzen has the capacity to dominate.

Loo: Given that Franzen singlehandedly scored the goal that put the game away, I hope you at least cheered for him a bit. More, he has been the team's most productive player over the past ten games.

#28 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Add a dash of Tootoo for good measure

I think Tootoo has been a major disappointment, which I expected.  There are too many shifts that he's barely noticeable.  He's a guy who could be a difference maker with a big hit or dropping the gloves in these big games against Chicago but he's mostly been a no show.

#29 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Keep him at center. It forces him to be involved instead of floating waiting for a perfect pass.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think Tootoo has been a major disappointment, which I expected.  There are too many shifts that he's barely noticeable.  He's a guy who could be a difference maker with a big hit or dropping the gloves in these big games against Chicago but he's mostly been a no show.

two reasons for this

1. he keeps getting scratched, so he is trying not to make mistakes, and you aren't always ready to go if you don't play regularly

2. I think babs is discouraging him from playing the way he did at the start of the season for whatever reason

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#31 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Keep him at center. It forces him to be involved instead of floating waiting for a perfect pass.

esteef

And keeps him moving up the middle of the ice in the offensive zone to the slot where he's scored the majority of his goals this year.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#32 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't think he's a disappointment. He's a guy that creates energy and is capable of 30 points. Which I'm sure he could do if he played. Looks like a dumb contract for the little amount of ice time he's getting

#33 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Franzen should have been just as good as Todd Bertuzzi in his prime.

bringit.jpg

#34 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Tootoo is absolutely exactly as advertised and one of the few Wings I notice everygame he plays.

As stated, I think Babs has reigned him in and has him scared of going to the box and playing 'his' game.

Love the guy and the way he plays....he has another gear that we havent seen but you cant play that way if you're worried about getting grounded from mom n dad.

#35 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

My only thought is maybe Franzen and Cleary dont react well to be called out in the media. Babs knows this and instead tries to inspre him with praise. Its the only reason I can think of for a coach as good as him to say Franzen and Cleary have been good.

#36 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't think he's a disappointment. He's a guy that creates energy and is capable of 30 points. Which I'm sure he could do if he played. Looks like a dumb contract for the little amount of ice time he's getting

Players that play well generally get ice time.  I don't think he was dominating and was then scratched.  He's a 4th line player.  He's not going to get 25 minutes a game.  When he does get on the ice (like Helm) you have to make those minutes count with a big hit, over the top hustle, a stellar defensive play or a scoring chance. 

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

I've never been a big fan of the guy, but I don't think it's just my predisposition talking.  Tootoo is not great defensively.  And when he is most effective hitting, he is often taking himself well out of the play.  So it seems like an almost either/or situation. 

And Babcock errs on the side of not having the puck end up in the Wings net over everything else, especially with the lack of scoring (see: Cleary getting minutes over about 4 other guys).

I do have to admit though when I saw the headline of the article I assumed it was Babcock calling out Mule and Franzen talking about not having any fun.  :lol:  Guess I should cut him a break once in a while.

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Franzen played pretty good against the Flames last night.  Got the lucky goal as a reward I guess, but I really like how he used his skill along the boards and moved with purpose.  Dude can dangle....when he cares to.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#39 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

The answer to the OP's question in the title is 'no', and Franzen was mis-quoted. The full quote from Franzen is:

"My last seven games, I don't want to talk about this right now, because talking is no fun" Franzen said Tuesday. "This makes me pissed, your questions are keeping me from having fun."

:P  In all seriousness I have enjoyed the apparent hop he has had to his game lately. Good to see him hustle and play with what appears to be urgency.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#40 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Franzen has surgery to replace his heart and legs with Darren Helm's heart and legs.

Ohhh snap! Helmer Mule!