• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Franzen.... cares?!

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Franzen has the capacity to dominate.

Loo: Given that Franzen singlehandedly scored the goal that put the game away, I hope you at least cheered for him a bit. More, he has been the team's most productive player over the past ten games.

Guest Playmaker

Add a dash of Tootoo for good measure

I think Tootoo has been a major disappointment, which I expected. There are too many shifts that he's barely noticeable. He's a guy who could be a difference maker with a big hit or dropping the gloves in these big games against Chicago but he's mostly been a no show.

I think Tootoo has been a major disappointment, which I expected. There are too many shifts that he's barely noticeable. He's a guy who could be a difference maker with a big hit or dropping the gloves in these big games against Chicago but he's mostly been a no show.

two reasons for this

1. he keeps getting scratched, so he is trying not to make mistakes, and you aren't always ready to go if you don't play regularly

2. I think babs is discouraging him from playing the way he did at the start of the season for whatever reason

I don't think he's a disappointment. He's a guy that creates energy and is capable of 30 points. Which I'm sure he could do if he played. Looks like a dumb contract for the little amount of ice time he's getting

Tootoo is absolutely exactly as advertised and one of the few Wings I notice everygame he plays.

As stated, I think Babs has reigned him in and has him scared of going to the box and playing 'his' game.

Love the guy and the way he plays....he has another gear that we havent seen but you cant play that way if you're worried about getting grounded from mom n dad.

Guest Playmaker

I don't think he's a disappointment. He's a guy that creates energy and is capable of 30 points. Which I'm sure he could do if he played. Looks like a dumb contract for the little amount of ice time he's getting

Players that play well generally get ice time. I don't think he was dominating and was then scratched. He's a 4th line player. He's not going to get 25 minutes a game. When he does get on the ice (like Helm) you have to make those minutes count with a big hit, over the top hustle, a stellar defensive play or a scoring chance.

I've never been a big fan of the guy, but I don't think it's just my predisposition talking. Tootoo is not great defensively. And when he is most effective hitting, he is often taking himself well out of the play. So it seems like an almost either/or situation.

And Babcock errs on the side of not having the puck end up in the Wings net over everything else, especially with the lack of scoring (see: Cleary getting minutes over about 4 other guys).

I do have to admit though when I saw the headline of the article I assumed it was Babcock calling out Mule and Franzen talking about not having any fun. :lol: Guess I should cut him a break once in a while.

Guest RedWingsDad

The answer to the OP's question in the title is 'no', and Franzen was mis-quoted. The full quote from Franzen is:

"My last seven games, I don't want to talk about this right now, because talking is no fun" Franzen said Tuesday. "This makes me pissed, your questions are keeping me from having fun."

:P In all seriousness I have enjoyed the apparent hop he has had to his game lately. Good to see him hustle and play with what appears to be urgency.

Guest The Axe

Franzen has surgery to replace his heart and legs with Darren Helm's heart and legs.

Ohhh snap! Helmer Mule!

Had Franzen not made that move though, none of us would have realized that Kanes mouth guard is magic, and when an opponent pulls it from his mouth, mystical phantom refs materialize out of thin air to protect him.

NEW! Tampax ultra strength, with a new pull string shaped like a mouth guard.

What with the litany of excuses bandied about by Babs after the Calgary game, it's hard for me to think anybody has any reason to give a damn.

On the Howard turnover for a goal against Calgary: "I assume Bruns thought it was going to get rimmed to Howie, and Q thought the same thing, and Howie thought he was in a bad spot when it was dribbling towards him," coach Mike Babcock said. "It's a big mistake. You can watch hockey for years and never see two of those plays in one game, never mind in one year."

On losing to Calgary (for the third time) after playing solidly against Chicago: “Pressure usually means you have a chance. Pressure on us is to maximize our potential and play as good as we’re capable of being. I think we’re where we should be. I’ve heard all year we’re not consistent. We are consistent. We’re one game or two games over each month. This is what we are. We’ve got to find a way to crawl into the playoffs.”

Oh I see, it wasn't two massive f*ck ups that cost us two points, it was a statistical anomaly. And we're not inconsistent, we win as often as we lose. So what if when we lose it's typically to people we shouldn't, after we've led all (or most) of the game, and typically without getting a point. No biggie. "Right where we should be".

I see the light now. All season long I thought we were playing poorly. Now I realize that we're playing really good and that our competitive and largely consistent game is being thwarted. Not by under-performance, boneheaded screwups, or substandard play from our core guys. But rather by random flaws in an otherwise mathematically predictable game. How foolish of me.

Guest Crymson

What with the litany of excuses bandied about by Babs after the Calgary game, it's hard for me to think anybody has any reason to give a damn.

On the Howard turnover for a goal against Calgary: "I assume Bruns thought it was going to get rimmed to Howie, and Q thought the same thing, and Howie thought he was in a bad spot when it was dribbling towards him," coach Mike Babcock said. "It's a big mistake. You can watch hockey for years and never see two of those plays in one game, never mind in one year."

On losing to Calgary (for the third time) after playing solidly against Chicago: “Pressure usually means you have a chance. Pressure on us is to maximize our potential and play as good as we’re capable of being. I think we’re where we should be. I’ve heard all year we’re not consistent. We are consistent. We’re one game or two games over each month. This is what we are. We’ve got to find a way to crawl into the playoffs.”

Oh I see, it wasn't two massive f*ck ups that cost us two points, it was a statistical anomaly. And we're not inconsistent, we win as often as we lose. So what if when we lose it's typically to people we shouldn't, after we've led all (or most) of the game, and typically without getting a point. No biggie. "Right where we should be".

I see the light now. All season long I thought we were playing poorly. Now I realize that we're playing really good and that our competitive and largely consistent game is being thwarted. Not by under-performance, boneheaded screwups, or substandard play from our core guys. But rather by random flaws in an otherwise mathematically predictable game. How foolish of me.

It was a statistical anomaly. Whine all you want. That doesn't change anything. Teams sometimes lose games because of bad luck, bad breaks, or mistakes.

That said, exactly what do you expect Babcock to say? That his goalie make a horrific mistake? That the team is playing horribly? That several players flat-out suck? That the organization is in the pits? Not only would those be untrue, you're also missing some very basic aspects of human social interaction. Babcock can and no doubt does let loose with what he thinks in private, to the players and to those others who need to hear it. When it comes to the public, that not OK. Doing so would cause tension between he and the players. Tortorella is the only coach of note who does it, and it causes serious problems in the locker room.

Give that some thought.

Guest The Axe

It was a statistical anomaly. Whine all you want. That doesn't change anything. Teams sometimes lose games because of bad luck, bad breaks, or mistakes.

That said, exactly what do you expect Babcock to say? That his goalie make a horrific mistake? That the team is playing horribly? That several players flat-out suck? That the organization is in the pits? Not only would those be untrue, you're also missing some very basic aspects of human social interaction. Babcock can and no doubt does let loose with what he thinks in private, to the players and to those others who need to hear it. When it comes to the public, that not OK. Doing so would cause tension between he and the players. Tortorella is the only coach of note who does it, and it causes serious problems in the locker room.

Give that some thought.

You're right. Taking pot shots at your own guys to the press is crap. Tortorella sounds like a whiny girl. You do it on the ice. End of story. I think our GM is the issue tho. Babcock doesn't deal the cards. He just has to play them. Our dealer has been sucking it up lately.

Guest Crymson

When your "goal-scorer" has only ten goals in 36 games, I think that about sums up why the Red Wings can't find the net.

Meh, nearly 25-goal pace.

No, not really.

I think so. Franzen is the only real true goal-scorer the Red Wings have on their top two lines and he's extremely streaky. 10 goals in 36 games just isn't very productive. Pavel and Z are more playmakers. So is Filppula, but he isn't even accomplishing that this season.

I'm not entirely blaming the Red Wings goal-scoring woes on Franzen, but it certainly would be nice if he would find the net more often. To do this, however, he would have to play in traffic more and that doesn't seem to be a frequent occurrence.

The Red Wings need serious help in the top-six and have for years now. Aging, predictable and perimeter oriented isn't a recipe for success in this league. Need some size on the wing that can score goals.