• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Had Franzen not made that move though, none of us would have realized that Kanes mouth guard is magic, and when an opponent pulls it from his mouth, mystical phantom refs materialize out of thin air to protect him.

NEW!  Tampax ultra strength, with a new pull string shaped like a mouth guard.  

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Franzen has been one of the Wings' best forwards over the past 12 games.

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

What with the litany of excuses bandied about by Babs after the Calgary game, it's hard for me to think anybody has any reason to give a damn. 

On the Howard turnover for a goal against Calgary:  "I assume Bruns thought it was going to get rimmed to Howie, and Q thought the same thing, and Howie thought he was in a bad spot when it was dribbling towards him," coach Mike Babcock said. "It's a big mistake. You can watch hockey for years and never see two of those plays in one game, never mind in one year."

On losing to Calgary (for the third time) after playing solidly against Chicago: “Pressure usually means you have a chance. Pressure on us is to maximize our potential and play as good as we’re capable of being. I think we’re where we should be. I’ve heard all year we’re not consistent. We are consistent. We’re one game or two games over each month. This is what we are. We’ve got to find a way to crawl into the playoffs.”

Oh I see, it wasn't two massive f*ck ups that cost us two points, it was a statistical anomaly.  And we're not inconsistent, we win as often as we lose.  So what if when we lose it's typically to people we shouldn't, after we've led all (or most) of the game, and typically without getting a point.  No biggie.  "Right where we should be". 

I see the light now.  All season long I thought we were playing poorly.  Now I realize that we're playing really good and that our competitive and largely consistent game is being thwarted.  Not by under-performance, boneheaded screwups, or substandard play from our core guys.  But rather by random flaws in an otherwise mathematically predictable game.  How foolish of me. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

What with the litany of excuses bandied about by Babs after the Calgary game, it's hard for me to think anybody has any reason to give a damn. 

On the Howard turnover for a goal against Calgary:  "I assume Bruns thought it was going to get rimmed to Howie, and Q thought the same thing, and Howie thought he was in a bad spot when it was dribbling towards him," coach Mike Babcock said. "It's a big mistake. You can watch hockey for years and never see two of those plays in one game, never mind in one year."

On losing to Calgary (for the third time) after playing solidly against Chicago: “Pressure usually means you have a chance. Pressure on us is to maximize our potential and play as good as we’re capable of being. I think we’re where we should be. I’ve heard all year we’re not consistent. We are consistent. We’re one game or two games over each month. This is what we are. We’ve got to find a way to crawl into the playoffs.”

Oh I see, it wasn't two massive f*ck ups that cost us two points, it was a statistical anomaly.  And we're not inconsistent, we win as often as we lose.  So what if when we lose it's typically to people we shouldn't, after we've led all (or most) of the game, and typically without getting a point.  No biggie.  "Right where we should be". 

I see the light now.  All season long I thought we were playing poorly.  Now I realize that we're playing really good and that our competitive and largely consistent game is being thwarted.  Not by under-performance, boneheaded screwups, or substandard play from our core guys.  But rather by random flaws in an otherwise mathematically predictable game.  How foolish of me. 

It was a statistical anomaly. Whine all you want. That doesn't change anything. Teams sometimes lose games because of bad luck, bad breaks, or mistakes.

That said, exactly what do you expect Babcock to say? That his goalie make a horrific mistake? That the team is playing horribly? That several players flat-out suck? That the organization is in the pits? Not only would those be untrue, you're also missing some very basic aspects of human social interaction. Babcock can and no doubt does let loose with what he thinks in private, to the players and to those others who need to hear it. When it comes to the public, that not OK. Doing so would cause tension between he and the players. Tortorella is the only coach of note who does it, and it causes serious problems in the locker room.

Give that some thought.

#45 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

When your "goal-scorer" has only ten goals in 36 games, I think that about sums up why the Red Wings can't find the net. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#46 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

It was a statistical anomaly. Whine all you want. That doesn't change anything. Teams sometimes lose games because of bad luck, bad breaks, or mistakes.

That said, exactly what do you expect Babcock to say? That his goalie make a horrific mistake? That the team is playing horribly? That several players flat-out suck? That the organization is in the pits? Not only would those be untrue, you're also missing some very basic aspects of human social interaction. Babcock can and no doubt does let loose with what he thinks in private, to the players and to those others who need to hear it. When it comes to the public, that not OK. Doing so would cause tension between he and the players. Tortorella is the only coach of note who does it, and it causes serious problems in the locker room.

Give that some thought.

You're right. Taking pot shots at your own guys to the press is crap. Tortorella sounds like a whiny girl. You do it on the ice. End of story. I think our GM is the issue tho. Babcock doesn't deal the cards. He just has to play them. Our dealer has been sucking it up lately.

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

When your "goal-scorer" has only ten goals in 36 games, I think that about sums up why the Red Wings can't find the net. 

Meh, nearly 25-goal pace.

#48 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

No, not really.

Posted Image

#49 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

No, not really.

I think so. Franzen is the only real true goal-scorer the Red Wings have on their top two lines and he's extremely streaky. 10 goals in 36 games just isn't very productive. Pavel and Z are more playmakers. So is Filppula, but he isn't even accomplishing that this season.

I'm not entirely blaming the Red Wings goal-scoring woes on Franzen, but it certainly would be nice if he would find the net more often. To do this, however, he would have to play in traffic more and that doesn't seem to be a frequent occurrence.

The Red Wings need serious help in the top-six and have for years now. Aging, predictable and perimeter oriented isn't a recipe for success in this league. Need some size on the wing that can score goals.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#50 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Looks like Franzen has finally put it together. With the shortened season it makes sense. Just glad he's looking like a game changer again!

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#51 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

Looks like Franzen has finally put it together. With the shortened season it makes sense. Just glad he's looking like a game changer again!

Ya for how long? If were lucky hell carry us to the playoffs by that time he will be ice cold.

#52 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

Ya for how long? If were lucky hell carry us to the playoffs by that time he will be ice cold.

Yeah because Franzen has such a history of not showing up for playoffs...  :dozing:

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#53 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Yeah because Franzen has such a history of not showing up for playoffs...  :dozing:

His history is red hot then ice cold then red hot etc etc etc

#54 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I get your frustration man, but you may as well relax and try to enjoy his hot streaks.  He's going to be around for a long time and I imagine he'll always be streaky.

#55 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Give that some thought.

I wasn't suggesting he call them out in the press.  The fact that he makes excuses to the press is a symptom in my opinion.  If my guys weren't executing for s***, and because of this aren't winning games, I'll let them know it by reducing their ice time/benching them.  And then when the media heads ask questions I'll tell them what happened.  We failed to execute properly.  We made lazy line changes.  We left our goalie out to dry.  No need to downplay the fact that this team has looked like garbage all too frequently this year.  Own it, and prove that you're trying to fix it through your personnel moves.

If San Jose can bench Joe Thornton for playing like sh*t, then Babs can quit making excuses for two f*** ups which cost us valuable points, or saying how consistent we are when after we lose to Calgary (for the third time).  To me, that undermines accountability. 

Edited by kipwinger, 23 April 2013 - 02:44 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."