564 replies to this topic

#521 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Holland locked up Howard at least.

He had a bad game. It happens. There was one this winningest goalie of all time who allowed six goals in a Game 7 of the Conference Finals at one point. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#522 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

I do not understand what point you are trying to make/argue here. I literally agreed with you that we need more goals, but I am speaking to the people who are talking about how terrible we played tonight, simply put we played well but we still lost yes, saying we played like crap is wrong, because we did not. There are no moral victories or what have you, there are facts however, and the fact is we didn't play bad, and we were all over calgary for the majority of the game, but we did not score enough to overcome a few mistakes that were made

You're going to have a hard time convincing people we didn't play terribly when two Detroit f*** ups led to two Calgary goals.  We also had a load of power plays which we couldn't convert on, and we were completely lackluster in every other facet of the game.  The fact that they were as lackluster offensively and defensively doesn't mean we weren't terrible...we were.  They were just bad enough to make our utterly ineffective team look like it was doing something productive. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#523 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

I don't even understand how Howard f-ed up twice in a row. I don't even know what to say about it. 

Don't care about Howard having a terrible game. Wings would be sitting in 11th or 12th without him. In a must win and considering the opposition the Wings should of had a stranglehold of this game after the first 20 minutes..... end of story.

#524 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

One goal pinballed around off howie, complete dumb luck for calgary and terrible luck for us, and the other goal was just poor decision making by the entire team, but aside from that I think we played good.

Not dumb luck.  How many times does the goalie stop the puck for the defenseman to pickup?  A million times a game?  It's a routine play that they bobbled, bumbled, and ultimately got scored on.  Luck had nothing to do with it.  Execution did. 

Also, good teams that play good rise to the occasion in "must win" situations.  They score on one of their million powerplay chances.  They beat the worst team in the conference.  They do lots of things.  What they don't do is commit a litany of mental errors which ultimately give the game to the opposition on a night when their main competitors for the playoffs beat the second best team in the conference in a nearly identical situation.

Edited by kipwinger, 18 April 2013 - 12:24 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#525 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

I am way to tired to argue, so kip, and everyone else, lets agree to disagree, we can all agree that we needed the win and didn't get it, I gotta be up in 4 hours, and wish I hadn't even stayed up for this game...

#526 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yeah so in the one of the first posts of this thread I warned of Kiprusoff stealing the game. Yeah. As fluky as Begin's goals were, he has three less than 5 million dollar man Val Filppula. Pathetic. And yet Columbus can go into a tough barn and earn two points whilst this sad sack team has pissed away six potential points against one of the bottom feeders of the conference.

#527 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

I am way to tired to argue, so kip, and everyone else, lets agree to disagree, we can all agree that we needed the win and didn't get it, I gotta be up in 4 hours, and wish I hadn't even stayed up for this game...

Fair enough, have a good one bud. 

#528 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Not dumb luck.  How many times does the goalie stop the puck for the defenseman to pickup?  A million times a game?  It's a routine play that they bobbled, bumbled, and ultimately got scored on.  Luck had nothing to do with it.  Execution did. 

Also, good teams that play good rise to the occasion in "must win" situations.  They score on one of their million powerplay chances.  They beat the worst team in the conference.  They do lots of things.  What they don't do is commit a litany of mental errors which ultimately give the game to the opposition on a night when their main competitors for the playoffs beat the second best team in the conference in a nearly identical situations.

Good teams beat teams that are asking to be beat.

#529 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Don't care about Howard having a terrible game. Wings would be sitting in 11th or 12th without him. In a must win and considering the opposition the Wings should of had a stranglehold of this game after the first 20 minutes..... end of story.

Well eleventh is the same as ninth.

#530 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

if you don't make the playoffs, 11th is better then 9th, better picks

#531 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

If they were 11th or 12th they would not even have a shot at the playoffs they still do because of Howard although i don't believe they are a playoff team and Howard is the last person in the overall season that should be blamed.

Columbus and Dallas are better teams at the moment though, better chemistry, more energy, and just determination to make it. Wings have none of those it is just Datsyuk, Howard, Zetterberg(i guess) and a whole lot of turds staining up the winged wheel.

Edited by Yak19, 18 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#532 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

if you don't make the playoffs, 11th is better then 9th, better picks

That's obviously true, but that's unfair to put on Howie, which is where this stream of comments came from.  If he's played well enough to boost them 2 spots, you don't say, "well, he should have sucked because then we'd get better draft picks".  You say, "where the hell was the rest of the team to boost us into 8th?"

I'm still pissed at him for this game though.

Edited by Zetts, 18 April 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#533 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Sorry but this one is on Howie ... 2 brain farts ... how could you mishandle that after the 1st blunder!

First goal was definitely on Ericsson. It was he that mishandled the puck that was poke checked by Begin via Howard's skates. He should have been more careful. Second is on Howard although he was abandoned by his teammates.

Edited by RyanBarnes!, 18 April 2013 - 01:16 AM.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#534 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

it'll all get sorted out in the offseason..................................I hope!

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#535 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Can someone explain to me why Dan Cleary gets to play with NHL players? On the ice? Really?

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#536 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

The Wings can't score. The quality of scoring chances is appauling. No one finishes. Howard had a bad game, but how many times does he bail us out? We rarely give him any breaks. He can't be 100% every night, especially when there is so much pressure on him because we can't score.

#537 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

The Wings can't score. The quality of scoring chances is appauling. No one finishes. Howard had a bad game, but how many times does he bail us out? We rarely give him any breaks. He can't be 100% every night, especially when there is so much pressure on him because we can't score.

Well there is a certain Swedish guy who can make 47 saves, following that up with 45 ..and and 40 you get the idea? Not to piss on Howard but top goalies are at the top of their game, when the team is needing it the most.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#538 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

great game howard!

i dont see the wings regaining a playoff spot after a performance like that

#539 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

I still don't understand why Babcock changes the lineup every game??? It's no wonder the defense can't ever be on the same page. I honestly feel the Kenny H and Babcock don't want to make the playoffs just because of draft position and maybe having a true reason to do a roster overhaul. Kenny makes zero moves with cap space and Babcock continues to screw with the line combos!!!!

#540 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Went to bed after the second goal figured they were toast after I go no I don't by Jimmy

Disappointed yes think had a few bounces go our way the first period totally different game but you also make your bounces by busting your hind end.

I am worried that this team has a SEVERE lack of heart on the bench and on the ice and I don't see that situation clearing whether we make the playoffs or not.

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl