• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#541 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Don't care about Howard having a terrible game. Wings would be sitting in 11th or 12th without him. In a must win and considering the opposition the Wings should of had a stranglehold of this game after the first 20 minutes..... end of story.

That's just the thing - Howard has stolen several games for us this year.  It's not like Bryzgalov where Howard has confidence issues stopping pucks shot in his direction - this was a messed up game where he misplayed the puck twice worse than I can ever recall him misplaying a puck in any other game.  As far as Howard goes, I can let it go, just like letting it go with Osgood and San Jose in '94 turned out to be good thing for Detroit down the road.

As for the overall TEAM, however, inexcusable.  They basically scored one goal, since Franzen's was a fluke that never should've gone in.  Kipper's reaction to it made me sick - this is a team that shouldn't even care.  Kipper will be retired in a week, and they're playing for nothing right now other than pride and to screw themselves out of a better draft pick.  You need to clean up games like that down the stretch against non-playoff teams, and they couldn't even get a point.

I hate to say it, but I have to be honest...if you believe in hockey "karma", as of right now, Columbus deserves that 8th spot more than we do.  I hope to hell that doesn't happen, but it's the truth.

#542 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

First goal was definitely on Ericsson. It was he that mishandled the puck that was poke checked by Begin via Howard's skates. He should have been more careful. Second is on Howard although he was abandoned by his teammates.

Agreed.  The boys know how terrible Howard is at playing the puck, the 1 flaw in his game.  Hustle back so he doesn't have to.  And it was a SH goal too...  2 in 1 game really hurts.  Those happen maybe twice a season.   

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#543 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I guess...it seems to me like getting people crashing the net would be more important than throwing even more low quality chances at the net.  I find them much too passive on offense (see: Filppula).

That, too, Zetts.   :)   Filppula especially.  The traffic in front of the net definitely paid off in the Pred's game.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#544 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Well there is a certain Swedish guy who can make 47 saves, following that up with 45 ..and and 40 you get the idea? Not to piss on Howard but top goalies are at the top of their game, when the team is needing it the most.

Easy solution then: go get Henrik Lundquist. Or a goalie just like him since they are a dime a dozen.

And top players are at the top of their game, when the team is needing it the most. Top players will get that next goal to put their team ahead. The goalie needs to stop pucks and the team in front of him needs to score goals. It is a two way street.

#545 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

The thing that bothers me most is the attitude of both the Coaching staff and the players. Yes it is a retooling year and they are right where they thought they would be...fighting for a spot. However what is killing them and has been for a few years now is effort. Last nights outcome was no surprise. Calgary always plays with more effort and heart then the Wings do and that is why they usually win in their own rink. We cannot blame missing the playoffs this year on injuries and retooling that is an excuse. The top players on this team need to be called out for that performance last night. The fans deserve better. If Dekeyser and Kindl were the only returning d-man next year I would be fine with that. They are closer to a top pairing then anything we have. Kronwall should be taking a night off.

#546 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

A must win game, and the Wings don't compete hard enough at all. Giving away 2 points like that is not going to get you into the playoffs. The good out of this game, is I thought Gus and Flip looked pretty good. And I think it's time for Quincey to sit, he was awful tonight

IPB Image

#547 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

i was very wrong, I thought it was playoff round 0 for Red Wings. It turns out to be start of a golf season instead.

Have fan wings, you very well deserve it.

Edited by ami, 18 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#548 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

He's helping us lose I want to win. Injury or not

Helping us lose? How bias are you? Hes still their top 6 forward, captain, leader in assists and second in points who plays day in and day out.. No one else is even close to him and Pasha in terms of point production and you think he's helping them lose? How unappreciative of a redwing "fan" are you? Don't hate the player kid, hate the game. And in case you didnt know, no one else besides Pasha and Zetterberg is considered a top 6 forward on that team. ( franzen as of late has been doing good) Without Zetterberg you lower your chances to win a game. Who will you replace with him? Jordin Tootoo? Seriously think before you post ridiculous comments. The wings barely have any talent left as it is and this guy wants them to demote Zetterberg to fourth line, how old are you like 12 man?

Edited by kickazz, 18 April 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#549 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Well there is a certain Swedish guy who can make 47 saves, following that up with 45 ..and and 40 you get the idea? Not to piss on Howard but top goalies are at the top of their game, when the team is needing it the most.

Lol, wow, serious? Jimmy has done this all season, don't you get it, our defense and goaltending aside is not the problem aside from this game. Jimmy has been keeping us in playoff contention all year, and all every one can do is s*** on the guy, ya he had a bad game, and it happens, but guess what he has bailed us out in 90% of the games we played this year, we just can't seem to score more then two goals, that's our problem

#550 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

We cannot score. When will people understand this. 12 Dekeysers and 4 Howards on the ice, and we still CANNOT SCORE. Either we add 2 snipers in the off season and dump our garbage (white, Colo, Bert, Sammy, filppula, cleary) or we watch low scoring one goal losses for a while. Its not rocket science.

#551 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

We cannot score. When will people understand this. 12 Dekeysers and 4 Howards on the ice, and we still CANNOT SCORE. Either we add 2 snipers in the off season and dump our garbage (white, Colo, Bert, Sammy, filppula, cleary) or we watch low scoring one goal losses for a while. Its not rocket science.

Mods, please take this statement and pin it at the top of the forums.

There is way too much truth in this statement.

#552 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

He's getting up there in age, no doubt, but if the rest of our guys had the heart of Cleary, we'd be in first place right now.

Just curious why do you think Cleary is competing so hard? It seems like the moment he has pressure on him he just throws the puck.  Whenever he has the puck it's a turnover.  But we all watch the game differently so just want to see your reasoning. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#553 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think being a bubble playoffteam is a whole new experience for most of these guys, all cmae to the Wings during the top years and if things got tough, there were guys like Yzerman, Lidström, Shanahan you name them.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#554 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Just a horrible effort last night. Why should I go insane caring if they make the playoffs when they don't?

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#555 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't often agree with most of your posts axe, but this is spot on!

#556 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I don't know what you're talking about man.  Babs just said that Abby is a 20 goal guy IF this were a full season.  And obviously we'd score loads of goals IF Franzen brought it every night and IF Sammy and Bert weren't hurt, and IF Filppula would shoot more. 

Doncha see?  We're not a low scoring team, we're a dynamic powerhouse offense who has somehow earned the wrath of the gods through no fault of our own.  Probably by being so bad*ss for so long, if I had to guess.

Long story short, no need for scorers, we've just got to "compete harder" and "want it" more than the other guys.  WE'VE GOT SPIRIT YES WE DO, WE'VE GOT SPIRIT HOW BOUT YOU?!?!

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#557 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't know what you're talking about man.  Babs just said that Abby is a 20 goal guy IF this were a full season.  And obviously we'd score loads of goals IF Franzen brought it every night and IF Sammy and Bert weren't hurt, and IF Filppula would shoot more. 

Doncha see?  We're not a low scoring team, we're a dynamic powerhouse offense who has somehow earned the wrath of the gods through no fault of our own.  Probably by being so bad*ss for so long, if I had to guess.

Long story short, no need for scorers, we've just got to "compete harder" and "want it" more than the other guys.  WE'VE GOT SPIRIT YES WE DO, WE'VE GOT SPIRIT HOW BOUT YOU?!?!

Lol, that reminds me of when people a couple years ago were saying (with pure sincerity) "we need more goal scorers? f*** you. Dan Cleary scored 26 goals this year! We don't need more scoring!"

#558 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Our PP is terrible to watch

IPB Image

#559 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Wings made kipper look good they couldn't raise the puck or put it anywhere besides the middle of the net. We should have took the game too them we got outplayed for a large portion of the game which is unacceptable. Teams playing for their lives would have found a way to win even with the flakey goals

#560 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Def:  "INSANITY"- Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

This team, this coach and this general manager can give lessons on how to fulfill this definition.  But mostly, it's on Babcock and Holland.   Until there's some real wave-making; some reality checks; some courageous, gutsy decisions about who plays and who doesn't play because of lack of effort, this definition will hold for the Detroit Red Wings.  

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.