• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bardownginos

The Race for Eight: Blue Jackets, Stars, Wings

Rate this topic

Update:

Minnesota added to the mix. Here's how it shapes up with three games remaining.

Minnesota Wild: 53

4/26 Edmonton

4/27 @Colorado

Columbus Blue Jackets: 51

4/25 @ Dallas

4/27 Nashville

Dallas Stars: 48

4/25 Columbus

4/27 Detroit

Detroit Red Wings: 50

4/24 Los Angeles

4/25 Nashville

4/27 @ Dallas

Standings:

1. Chicago - 73 (clinched playoff spot)

2. Anaheim - 64 (clinched playoff spot)

3. Vancouver - 59 (clinched playoff spot)

4. Los Angeles - 57 (clinched playoff spot)

5. San Jose - 55

6. St. Louis - 54

7. Minnesota - 53 (25-18-3, ROW 21)

8. Columbus - 51 (22-17-7, ROW 17)

9. Detroit - 50 (21-16-8, ROW 19)

10. Dallas - 48 (22-20-4, ROW 20)

----------------------------------------

Well. Three games remaining. One point behind the seventh and eight places with a game in hand on Columbus. Looks like all eyes will be on Dallas, TX Thursday night when the Jackets and Stars play each other. The best scenario for us would be for that game to be decided by a shootout. I think Minny is trending downward and though they have a much easier schedule than Columbus, Detroit, and Dallas, I wouldn't be surprised if they fell out.

Edited by bardownginos

Guest irishock

We'll never hear the end of it if the Jackets make it. Here's Detroit, the best hockey franchise of the past two decades, playing their final season in the Western Conference and they bend over to the BJs.

I would love to be optimistic and understand we have a game in hand. But I felt tonight was a huge game to prove just how much the team wants to get the 8th spot. And we folded against Calgary. No matter how good their goaltending is, good teams find a way to win. Teams desperate for playoffs find ways to win.

There's time to fix it and get that 8th spot, but I'm just not feeling it after that game tonight. You had Columbus against the ducks, most would expect them to lose that. And you have us looking to put a gap against Calgary and we served that up.

I won't be surprised at all if we miss

It is simple really, Wings need to win at least 3 of the next 5 and take the other two to overtime like someone mentioned. Anyway, I wouldn't be pissed if they missed because a chance at the first overall would be great and who cares what tank to win teams are saying about the RedWings? This franchise still has broken records and provided so much great hall of fame player there aren't many others who have been done that.

Let these bandwagoners brag about it, once this joke of a league is fixed the Wings will be back s tronger than ever. Imagine if this team gets a top 10 pick and gunning for the cup in two or 3 years again :-)

This place is going to be a laughing stock when the BJs beat the Wings out for a playoff spot, and I'll be a primary contributer. This team consistently finds a way to screw the pooch when they are in a win or die situation; its shameful.

It is simple really, Wings need to win at least 3 of the next 5 and take the other two to overtime like someone mentioned. Anyway, I wouldn't be pissed if they missed because a chance at the first overall would be great and who cares what tank to win teams are saying about the RedWings? This franchise still has broken records and provided so much great hall of fame player there aren't many others who have been done

A chance at the first pick? You must not care that much about the playoffs then because that's a very slim shot.

Never been so stressed in my whole entire life.

I still have faith...but not a whole lot of it.

This is more stressful than an elimination game in the playoffs? I think not. lol If they make it, great. I'm not expecting a Cup run. If they don't, oh well. Not the end of the world. Maybe it'll force Holland to actually make a move to improve the team. Plus, we'll have a better draft position for what is supposed to be a strong draft class.

Blue Jackets and Stars deserve it more. They're playing like they give a damn.

So glad Holland stood pat. Jackass.

We may not be a player or two away from winning the Cup, but we are a player or two from making the playoffs.

Sacrifice draft picks, players, and long term sustainability all for 4-7 extra games. Gotcha.

Sacrifice draft picks, players, and long term sustainability all for 4-7 extra games. Gotcha.

Right, because I said, "We should've sold the farm for Gaborik!!!"

Holland's very, very, very big on this "If you can make it to the big dance, anything can happen" mentality. Now, here we are in a dogfight for eighth place. Not a good time to make a minor tweak or two? (I mean, before the deadline?)

It's not like we're the Jackets or the Stars and we can say, "Eh, we make it, we make it, we don't, no biggie." We're the ******* Red Wings. To whom much is given, and all that. And we're just stumbling along, settling for mediocrity, seemingly not-at-all worried that we're in very real danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 1990.

I believe we'll make it. But it's going to be grueling. I simply think we should've, at least, brought in some hungry hearts. Y'know, guys who actually give a damn.

4/20 @ Vancouver Loss

4/22 Phoenix 50/50 chance

4/24 Los Angeles Loss

4/25 Nashville 50/50 chance

4/27 @ Dallas Loss

Hate to say it but with how this team is playing I see this happening. They need 3 of the 5 minimum. 4 of 5 would be best. I dont see them winning in Van and if it comes down to that last game in Dallas the Stars are just playing a lot hungrier and better now. They could pull out the LA game but Im thinking not with how much this team is not scoring. The killer is the Wings consistantly play down to lesser opponents the last couple seasons. Thats why I see them dropping either Nashville or Phoenix. Thats what will knock them out of the playoffs. In reality it might be the best thing. Some heat of the Wings brass to do something with this roster will help the team in the long run.

Right, because I said, "We should've sold the farm for Gaborik!!!"

Holland's very, very, very big on this "If you can make it to the big dance, anything can happen" mentality. Now, here we are in a dogfight for eighth place. Not a good time to make a minor tweak or two? (I mean, before the deadline?)

It's not like we're the Jackets or the Stars and we can say, "Eh, we make it, we make it, we don't, no biggie." We're thef****** Red Wings. To whom much is given, and all that. And we're just stumbling along, settling for mediocrity, seemingly not-at-all worried that we're in very real danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 1990.

I believe we'll make it. But it's going to be grueling. I simply think we should've, at least, brought in some hungry hearts. Y'know, guys who actually give a damn.

I don't know how or why you referenced Gaborik, but anyway...

The 'minor tweak' you elude to is not as simple as you are making it out to be. If reports are to be believed, then he did look into possible trades, but ultimately decided that asking prices were too high. I'm not going to dive into a debate on what those prices were, but signs point to draft picks and prospects as being the things that Holland didn't want to relinquish. Keeping those things points to a long term strategy as opposed to a short term gain.

Making the playoffs is nice, but fan egos aside, an extended summer for both the players and staff might do them some good after 21 seasons of extended play.

Guest RedWingsDad

I'm going to go with us missing the playoffs (I know, a bold prediction at this point). Columbus seems to be a force right now... I think they are the team that will edge us out for 8th.

Our offense is just stagnant at the moment. That being said, I do have high hopes for us moving forward. A real shame we had so many injuries this year. I do believe a healthy Bert, Sammy, and Helm would have made us a solid team this year, at least good for 4th, 5th or 6th in the conference. Even if they only played half a season each... our offense just couldn't absorb their loss, being not as deep as we have been in years past. It's not just the numbers they put up, but the pressure they relieve from other players, and the overall solidification of our lines they would bring.

Hey, at least I will get to cancel my cable a bit earlier this year. :D On a side note, I very much hope I am wrong.

Edited by RedWingsDad