• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#41 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

I understand your frustration in the Wings decline, but the fact remains that the Detroit Red Wings are the LAST of an extinct breed called a 'dynasty' in any sport, nevermind just the NHL. Decades of winning hockey have greatly skewed all of our expectations for this team.

I'm not going to sit here and say you're wrong in your opinion or that trades couldn't have been made. What I am saying, is that as terribly perceived as things are at the moment, there are much MUCH worse scenarios and teams than the Wings right now. You lament a season that occurred 4 years ago, while a franchise like Toronto is just getting into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I think some perspective is required with the situation in Detroit.

This 'class of the league' you speak of changes from month to month in the NHL now. The Red Wings dynasty of old is dead, and the longer that you try and hold onto that and believe that it can be recaptured, the longer you're going to be unhappy. 

What I am ultimately getting at here, is that there is/was no other team like the Detroit Red Wings in the NHL, so any rebuilding/re-tooling that this team does has ZERO blueprint. We've retired more Hall of Famer's in the past 3 years than some teams have retired in their entire existence in the NHL. Replacing them isn't a 1-for-1 deal and no matter who you bring in, they'll always pale in comparison to the Lidstroms/Rafalskis/Drapers/etc. These losses are meteoric for any team, let alone one with the history and pedigree of Detroit. The fact that the Wings are even in the playoff conversation is astonishing yet nobody wants to give the management credit for that, they'd rather see trades and action in an attempt to keep an already ridiculous playoff streak alive.

This cheque has been in the mail for a season like this ever since the Cup win, and now that the bill is here, not a lot of the fans seem to want to pay it.

This

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 18 April 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#42 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

The Jackets are winning games because THEY WANT to...and they play like their hair and balls are on fire!!

#43 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Maybe the BJ's are doing really good cause their young players like Calvert and Atkinson are getting loads of icetime, the kind Nyquist and Tatar should have been getting all year.  That and they traded 3 ok players and a 6th round pick for the sniper WE NEEDED! 

"We like our guys overripe"

"We like our depth"

"Know the system, had success here in the past"

"We made a competitive offer"

"Puck luck"

"Keep doin' what we're doin' and things are bound to turn around"

tumblr_lm5bvelvTL1qercd3o1_500.gif

#44 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

This

Agreed and the LA Lakers just went thru the exact same ordeal. Championship expectations or else.

Hell, Rome fell too, it happens.

Ive said it since week 3.....if Babs gets em in the playoffs he's coach of the year!

#45 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

I still feel like people don't realize that we actually played well last night. They only had 17 shots, remember. We put on 34. We Were buzzing. Not much you can do about a goalie standing on his head.

The Wings did play pretty well. The only issue is I have seen that high shot total before with nothing to show for goals. Namely the series against Nashville where they peppered Rinne.

The Red Wings still play on the perimeter too much and many of their shots are rather harmless. They can't or in some players cases (Franzen and Filppula stand out) won't go to the tough areas of the ice to score goals.

This team desperately needs some size and goal-scoring ability on the wing.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#46 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

The Wings did play pretty well. The only issue is I have seen that high shot total before with nothing to show for goals. Namely the series against Nashville where they peppered Rinne.

The Red Wings still play on the perimeter too much and many of their shots are rather harmless. They can't or in some players cases (Franzen and Filppula stand out) won't go to the tough areas of the ice to score goals.

This.  We have the problem that we had back when were getting knocked out early in the playoffs between 2002 and 2008.  We're always on the outside and the chances are low quality.  Except now, in contrast to that time, we also don't really have much talent to speak of.

#47 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Vancouver didn't want the prospect of playing us so they toss tonight's game and helped Dallas ?

#48 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

I truly believe that Homer's retirement has gone massively, massively under-recognized.

The coaching staff still appear to be implementing an offensive system that saw Lidstrom launch slap-passes at the net and try for a Homer tip or rebound. The only problem with this is that they are missing two key parts to it; namely, Lidstrom and Homer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

I truly believe that Homer's retirement has gone massively, massively under-recognized.

The coaching staff still appear to be implementing an offensive system that saw Lidstrom launch slap-passes at the net and try for a Homer tip or rebound. The only problem with this is that they are missing two key parts to it; namely, Lidstrom and Homer.

Very good point I fully agree just wanted to add something:

The Detroit Red Wings used to outskill almost every other team, these guys aren't prepared to work hard and grind it out nor does Babcock haas the roster to do it. I always thought, that Holmer was extremely underrated, he was one of the best ever to position himself in front of the net and screen the goalie, we have no one even close to that category now.

Going forward this team needs to become a hardnosed defense first team, because sadly they aren't going to outskill anyone for quite some time, they are getting outskill and outworked (which does bother me way more) ,because a bubble playoffteam should work their hardest at this time of the year.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#50 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

I agree to the post above as well. 

about the skill thing.  I find our bottom six thinking too much that they are top six.  there is not enough of a grinding aspect to their game.  they're too soft right now thinking they can out skill when they cannot.

get back to your game bottom six....hit, grind, dump and chase.

this team lacks an identity.

naked is a state of mind

#51 ZforC

ZforC

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

It is simple really, Wings need to win at least 3 of the next 5 and take the other two to overtime like someone mentioned. Anyway, I wouldn't be pissed if they missed because a chance at the first overall would be great and who cares what tank to win teams are saying about the RedWings? This franchise still has broken records and provided so much great hall of fame player there aren't many others who have been done that.

Let these bandwagoners brag about it, once this joke of a league is fixed the Wings will be back s tronger than ever. Imagine if this team gets a top 10 pick and gunning for the cup in two or 3 years again :-)

I agree totally. I also think that the wings now are built for playing in the eastern conference. While we are competative in the west we are not a Big physical crash and bang team like most teams in the west. We fit in the east because of our style of play. Skilled puck possesion. There are not too many teams in the east that would scare me(NYR maybe. Nobody better say the penguins .....) but I generally feel with our current roster, if we were in the east would be a 4th or 5th seed at worst

about the skill thing.  I find our bottom six thinking too much that they are top six.  there is not enough of a grinding aspect to their game.  they're too soft right now thinking they can out skill when they cannot.

IF we had bert and helm back healthy, this team wouldnt be struggling to get the 8th seed in the west

#52 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Our bottom 6 identity is in the press box.  We need Helm back more than anyone. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#53 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Great, now we have to beat out both Columbus and Dallas to get 8th. Looks pretty unlikely now...
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#54 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Great, now we have to beat out both Columbus and Dallas to get 8th. Looks pretty unlikely now...

Currently at a 1.1% chance to get 1st overall pick.

#55 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

STRESSS. I can not fathom only watching five more games this year. 

#56 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

A must win game on Saturday now

IPB Image

#57 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well at least Columbus lost last night, that would have really stung if they'd won too.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#58 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

A must win game on Saturday now

Let's be honest, out of the 5 games left, we're looking at probably 4 MUST wins. I guess we could manage with 3 wins if one of them is against Dallas and they/Columbus lose some of their other games. 

We have 2 games in hand on CBJ so I still see Dallas as our main competition for 8th, but I'd really like it if that last game of the season wasn't completely decisive for who makes the playoffs. We need to just win the next 4 games and solidify ourselves in the playoffs so the last game doesn't matter. 

Just been watching the Champions DVD documentaries on our 97/98 Cup wins and they definitely make one nostalgic about the Red Wings...

#59 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Nobody circles the wagons like the Detroit Red Wings!  I still like our chances.  The Wings have to look at it this way...win all 5 games left and we're in.  Who care what Columbus and Dallas do.  We have 2 games in hand on Columbus and they are only 2 points ahead of us.  Dallas is tied with us owning the Wins in Regulation tiebreaker.  However they have a very tough 4 games.  At STL, SJ and LA and home against us.  Stay positive folks.  I know it's tough right now.  But I still believe in this team and I know Dats, Z, Kron and Jimmy wlll step up.  I also have a feeling playoff Mule will return.  We ARE going to make the playoffs.  If you don't believe in this team then get the ?%& out!  LOL  Just kidding.  But seriously GET THE...hahahaha

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#60 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

it would be nice to see columbus/stars and wings get in and bump minny out ha

• DBR likes this