• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

The one play that seems to give our Defense fits

Rate this topic

Just wondering if you guys have noticed this as well.

It seems like a lot of our guys (especially Quincey and White) have a hard time controlling the puck along the boards in the offensive zone.

There have been many times where I have seen the puck hop over our guy's sticks and they subsequently give up a 2 on 1.

Yet another aspect that Nick would do flawlessly that we miss.

That and the inability to put the puck on the tape of a moving forward.

And the struggle of our forwards to win battles along the half-boards so that when we finally do carry the puck out of the defensive zone, he's 1 against 3 and then Carman moans about Datysuk turning the puck over.

But yeah, Lidstrom was an absolute master at keeping the puck in at the blue line, as good as I've ever seen.

Edited by Nev

Guest The Axe

Just wondering if you guys have noticed this as well.

It seems like a lot of our guys (especially Quincey and White) have a hard time controlling the puck along the boards in the offensive zone.

There have been many times where I have seen the puck hop over our guy's sticks and they subsequently give up a 2 on 1.

Yet another aspect that Nick would do flawlessly that we miss.

Chelios was the master of the bad pinch. Seemed like Fisch was defending 2 on 1's every night. Our team is just in need of offense. A couple snipers who need to be guarded tightly allows the guys on the boards to play one on one instead of getting double teamed and then the defensemen pinching don't get as much pressure when they pinch. Half step ahead in the cycle vs. Half step behind makes all the difference.

Chelios was the master of the bad pinch. Seemed like Fisch was defending 2 on 1's every night. Our team is just in need of offense. A couple snipers who need to be guarded tightly allows the guys on the boards to play one on one instead of getting double teamed and then the defensemen pinching don't get as much pressure when they pinch. Half step ahead in the cycle vs. Half step behind makes all the difference.

There's numerous variables that go into offensive production. It's not simply so cut and dry. You can have all the skill in the world, with an all-star top 12 but they aren't going to be able to break into the zone without a proper transition. The start of the transition falls in the hands of the defensemen in almost all cases. They need to give a solid first pass clean on the blade of the moving forwards. If the puck is misplaced behind, infront, at their skates, etc it will cause a delay inwhich you will have more coverage and you won't be moving as cleanly as you should. If you can cleanly exit the zone with a good first pass, you break the neutral zone with speed. You NEED speed through the neutral zone or you're going to get clogged there. Teams will stack the line, and be able to cut your available lanes into the zone. It all goes downhill from there.

Our defense is getting better, but we need a solid group that is used to one another. You can't be switching players everywhere throughout the season, they build no chemistry and they don't get comfortable. You also start sending the message of, "I was apart of a 3-0 win, and played a fine game. We worked hard together, showed that we had desperation in our game and we wanted the win." What do they get awarded with? Roster changes the next game. It gets frustrating.

Our offense needs help, I can agree with you. We need that bonified goal scorer in our top 6. We have no one to turn to when we're in need of a goal. But, we need others thing to help support the offense also. Keeping it within the zone is one of those things also!

This is part of the transition of our team. 5 years ago, guys like White were common on our blueline. smaller Dmen that were good passers. Now our Dmen are much bigger, better skaters-as a group, but not as good of passers/puck handlers. The real problem is our top 2 forward lines were built for the old style of play. It is a mismatched skill set. Our Dmen are built to join the rush or drive the puck deep. The forwards don't play that style so it seems odd at times.

I'm gonna take a different angle. The play that gives our D fits is our forwards not giving them proper passing lanes for the breakout pass. Just skating in straight lines up the boards.

That is a problem in general for the whole team.

They run the offense similar to NHL13: skate straight to the net and try and pass through the skates and sticks of defensemen.

Rarely do you see our guys cut to the middle after entering the zone and create different shooting lanes or pause a little, let one guy drive the net, and catch the trailing man.

We get so messed up when opposing teams bring three guys into the zone at the same time with speed. Our dmen back off too much and there is always a guy in the slot open and our backcheckers always screw up assignments. Often there is a far side shot that comes off a body or jimmy and then it is pounced on.

I'm gonna take a different angle. The play that gives our D fits is our forwards not giving them proper passing lanes for the breakout pass. Just skating in straight lines up the boards.

Exactly.

The Kings are the team I watch as much if not more than the Wings so they're my best point of reference. They've got skill guys but even with their 3rd and 4th lines, they've clearly worked on their zone breakouts time and time again so it's automatic. Everyone knows where to be. Where the outlet is. Where the option is if that's not available.

It doesn't always work but even under an intense forecheck they do well and keep it pretty simple.

That is a problem in general for the whole team.

They run the offense similar to NHL13: skate straight to the net and try and pass through the skates and sticks of defensemen.

Rarely do you see our guys cut to the middle after entering the zone and create different shooting lanes or pause a little, let one guy drive the net, and catch the trailing man.

Ah, s*** dood....you had me on da cross-crease!

Exactly.

The Kings are the team I watch as much if not more than the Wings so they're my best point of reference. They've got skill guys but even with their 3rd and 4th lines, they've clearly worked on their zone breakouts time and time again so it's automatic. Everyone knows where to be. Where the outlet is. Where the option is if that's not available.

It doesn't always work but even under an intense forecheck they do well and keep it pretty simple.

But why is that ? Because we had no proper pre-season, a lot of new guys and many injuries. It just is what it is and concerning all the former points our standing is still pretty good. I'd really like to see what damage this team can do next season. Maybe with a Top 6 Goalscorer then.

But why is that ? Because we had no proper pre-season, a lot of new guys and many injuries. It just is what it is and concerning all the former points our standing is still pretty good. I'd really like to see what damage this team can do next season. Maybe with a Top 6 Goalscorer then.

Which is why I still think the decision to rely on Q, Sammy, Cola, & Tootoo instead of the kids was made i.e. bringing back players that knew the Wings' systems or veterans that would pick up the schemes easily enough versus trying to get the kids up to speed without the benefit of a training camp/pre-season & the usual amount of practice time during the season. Solid reasoning but unfortunately the circumstances changed. On the upside though, the Wings brass knows now that Andersson, Tatar, Nyquist, DeKeyser, & Lashoff are going to be full-time NHLers & all probably starting next season. I'm sure there will be growing pains & we'll still see those plays that continue to give the Wings problems over & over to start the season, but I also think we'll start seeing less & less of those as next season wears on.

Which is why I still think the decision to rely on Q, Sammy, Cola, & Tootoo instead of the kids was made i.e. bringing back players that knew the Wings' systems or veterans that would pick up the schemes easily enough versus trying to get the kids up to speed without the benefit of a training camp/pre-season & the usual amount of practice time during the season. Solid reasoning but unfortunately the circumstances changed. On the upside though, the Wings brass knows now that Andersson, Tatar, Nyquist, DeKeyser, & Lashoff are going to be full-time NHLers & all probably starting next season. I'm sure there will be growing pains & we'll still see those plays that continue to give the Wings problems over & over to start the season, but I also think we'll start seeing less & less of those as next season wears on.

That is the scary thing though. Last year everyone and their mother was saying that Nyquist would be a full time NHLer. He seems to be locked in now, but it took a while.

Who knows with this brain trust...

stock-photo-9108944-serious-man-wearing-

I'm Kyle Quincey....how come I can't read plays on defence?

or better yet

Boy_with_birdcage_by_boblea.jpg

I can't see through this damn birdcage!

In conclusion: Quincey is not good.

What blows my mind is that quincey will always take a look around before making a boneheaded move - he should be able to identify the danger and make the right decision - but he sees it and goes ahead anyways. Most players make mistakes when they don't survey the ice - quincey sees it and still f's up.

I'm Kyle Quincey....how come I can't read plays on defence?

or better yet

I can't see through this damn birdcage!

In conclusion: Quincey is not good.

What blows my mind is that quincey will always take a look around before making a boneheaded move - he should be able to identify the danger and make the right decision - but he sees it and goes ahead anyways. Most players make mistakes when they don't survey the ice - quincey sees it and still f's up.

Nice portrait of Q by Salvador Dali !