• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Keep playing Cleary over him, it seems to be working.

Mismanagement x 1000

#62 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Nyquist Datsyuk Tatar

Filp Helm Zetterberg

Franzen Andersson Bertuzzi

Abby Emms Eaves/Toots

...but for now,

Nyquist Datsyuk Tatar

Filp Zetterberg Franzen

Abby Andersson Cleary

Eaves Emms Miller/Toots

Penciling in the Emdog. Good man.

#63 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

One of the most frustrating things for a fan or coach watching hockey is when players don't leave it all out there. Often times this season, I have seen some of our players "mailing it in" for many games and not bringing any energy. Franzen has for sure been guilty of this but not surprisingly Cleary has been lacking in the energy department. Young guns like Tatar and Nyquist have something to play for and are bringing their full effort every night. THAT is why they should be in the lineup (especially when we are losing anyways). The only players last night I was really content with was Nyquist, Andersson, and Emmerton - all playing for their future jobs. Tatar is frustrated because he knows he can bring the energy and if enough guys do it - it becomes contagious. Lately Tatar has even looked like he is trying to do too much in GR because he probably thinks he needs to do more to earn a spot - however, in my mind he has already earned it. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#64 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Nyquist Datsyuk Tatar

Filp Helm Zetterberg

Abby Emms Eaves/Toots

...but for now,

Nyquist Datsyuk Tatar

Filp Zetterberg Franzen

Abby Andersson Cleary

Eaves Emms Miller/Toots

It's really a struggle for me to find room for Brunner.  I really like the guy and want him to do well, but unless he starts scoring again, I honestly see Nyq and Tatar as harder on the puck and eventually becoming a decent scoring line with Dats. 

Or it's

Nyq Dats Tats

Filp Z Brunner

Franzen Helm Bert

Abby Anders Eaves/Toots

I'd really like to see "The Nightmare on Helm St". up with Filp and Z; Holy Crap.

Edited by T.Low, 18 April 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#65 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think the Wings just wanted to utilize Tatar's last opportunity to work on his game at the AHL level. Babcock had said that Tatar had a few things to improve upon, so why not let him work on that stuff without the pressure of performing at the highest level? It isn't like he has gone lights out at the AHL level either, his best season was 58 points. He'll be on the club full time next season, so his frustration will be shortlived.

I question the validity of this article though. I think some of it might be reworded or taken out of context. The Russian media did that when the Wings didn't just hand Igor Grigorenko a spot next to Datsyuk on the top line...

If the team has to rely on Filppula to cushion the loss of Datsyuk, they are DOOMED.

Well yes fil is half the player dat is but he can be a second line center. People are down on him when he is wing and yes I agree he isn't a food winger. But at center he is just fine.

#66 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Well yes fil is half the player dat is but he can be a second line center. People are down on him when he is wing and yes I agree he isn't a food winger. But at center he is just fine.

I really like Valterri, but every now and then I can't help but wonder if we kept the wrong Filp?  Illari seemed more goal oriented, and that's what we lack.

#67 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Nyquist Datsyuk Tatar

Filp Helm Zetterberg

Abby Emms Eaves/toots

Horrible just horrible. You want too many play makers on same lines. And ALL of the size on the same lines. Using the same people not including injuries this is much better:

Z. Dats Abby

Tatar fil franzen

Nyquist Anderson clearly

Then whatever is left here.

Didn't include Bert or helm cause they're hurt. I'd put helm on third line over Anderson. And Bert there over clearly.

You have no size on your top line. As well as two playmakers in Nyquist and dats. You have all your size on third line. And I'm the biggest franzen hater there is but he isn't a third line player.

Edited by DeGraa55, 18 April 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#68 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

This is all on Babcock and Holland.

Tatar should be on our roster right now, especially since we can't score goals.  Instead, they put the same old garbage on the ice.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#69 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Horrible just horrible. You want too many play makers on same lines. And ALL of the size on the same lines. Using the same people not including injuries this is much better:

Z. Dats Abby

Tatar fil franzen

Nyquist Anderson clearly

Then whatever is left here.

Didn't include Bert or helm cause they're hurt. I'd put helm on third line over Anderson. And Bert there over clearly.

You have no size on your top line. As well as two playmakers in Nyquist and dats. You have all your size on third line. And I'm the biggest franzen hater there is but he isn't a third line player.

Your lines are too close to what we've been panfully watching all season.  Nyq Dats Tats would totally dazzle; Helm would relieve Z to go back to his scoring ways of yesteryear; Franzen, Anderss and Bert would be really tuff to play against.  Just when the opponent thinks they got it, put Bert and Johan with Dats and send Nyq and Tats down to Anderss. 

#70 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Your lines are too close to what we've been panfully watching all season.  Nyq Dats Tats would totally dazzle; Helm would relieve Z to go back to his scoring ways of yesteryear; Franzen, Anderss and Bert would be really tuff to play against.  Just when the opponent thinks they got it, put Bert and Johan with Dats and send Nyq and Tats down to Anderss.

Helm has no business even being mentioned on a second line. And that pansy first line would get pushed around like little kids.

#71 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Helm has no business even being mentioned on a second line. And that pansy first line would get pushed around like little kids.

Yeah, like Tatar Fil  Franzen is so much tougher than Tatar Dats Nyq.

#72 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

So much emphasis on "Tough." Look at Nyquist (and Dats most nights) out there yesterday just skating and backchecking and picking pockets then turning the puck back and taking it straight to the net and making chances. That EFFORT makes up for any size. I'm not against size - but I think we can still be effective as a skilled team. We always have been to some extent. There was this guy Lidstrom that played defence pretty well and never hit anyone and he did pretty well along the boards and in all areas of the ice. 

EDIT: the key words I would use is "tough to play against." A line can still be skilled and small and be hard to play against. Being tough to play against is all I care about. 

Edited by dirtydangles, 18 April 2013 - 08:45 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#73 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

I don't really understand all the fuss from this. Tatar is pretty much calling the sky blue...

He's out of minor league options after this season, so he pretty much can already be penciled into the opening 23 man roster for next year. The Wings already know he can contribute at the NHL level. So unless he pulls a Ville Leino next season, he'll be signing a one-way deal sometime between then and October 2014.

I fail to see what the big commotion is...

I agree. This is mountains out of mole hills.

Though I wouldn't pencil him in just yet. Babs seems to prefer Gus, so I think he has a better shot even though he's still exempt next year. There's not all that much room on the roster. I think he's a prime trade candidate. I'd say his chances of being on the team next year is maybe 75% at most.

#74 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

^ "There's not all that much room on the roster" is the problem. He's better than half our roster.

esteef

Edited by esteef, 18 April 2013 - 10:05 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#75 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

get him up in the NHL full time asap. time to sink or swim and become a full time NHLer

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#76 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

Tatar frustrated.

Fans frustrated.

#77 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Nyq Dats Tats

Filp Z Brunner

Franzen Helm Bert

Abby Anders Eaves/Toots

Those lines would be a disaster. 

First of all who on those top two lines is going to win the board battles? Who's going to the tough areas and is able to stay there? Who's opening up space with physical play? Putting the top 6 danglers on the top two lines is not going to equate to a more productive offence. Do guys like Tatar and Zetts have grit and play bigger than they are? Sure but it's not enough when you look at the line ups they would be matched up against. They would be eaten alive. We need a big body on those lines. Sadly Franzen and Abdelkader are our best options at the moment. Our only option thanks to Holland and Injuries.

Second of all, one of our biggest problems has been a lack of net front presence and too many perimeter shots. Those top two lines would only add to those problems.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#78 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Those lines would be a disaster. 

First of all who on those top two lines is going to win the board battles? Who's going to the tough areas and is able to stay there? Who's opening up space with physical play? Putting the top 6 danglers on the top two lines is not going to equate to a more productive offence. Do guys like Tatar and Zetts have grit and play bigger than they are? Sure but it's not enough when you look at the line ups they would be matched up against. They would be eaten alive. We need a big body on those lines. Sadly Franzen and Abdelkader are our best options at the moment. Our only option thanks to Holland and Injuries.

Second of all, one of our biggest problems has been a lack of net front presence and too many perimeter shots. Those top two lines would only add to those problems.

Disasterous?   As oppossed to the success of our current 10th place standing and 3-5-2 in our last ten? 

I understand what you're saying, completely.  I just don't agree with it.  Nyquist and Tatar have carried the water in GR; it's time to turn them loose with Datsyuk and enable them to take it to the next level.   They know their way around in the corners.

Abby and Cleary in the top 6 hasn't gotten us into playoff standing, and is not going to bring the Cup home.  We've got a better chance riding Young Guns.

Edited by T.Low, 19 April 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#79 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Here's what I don't understand.  Even if we cut all the fat from the forward corps.  Let Cleary walk, buy out Bert or Sammy or both, and replace them will all the GR guys who deserve to come up, we're still one of the smallest and softest teams ever to be assembled.  You can't have a top six of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Tatar, Brunner, Nyquist, Jarnkrok.  They'll get forced to the outside, and wither away playing a perimeter game.  So it's pretty obvious that at some point some of these guys are going to have to be moved out and replaced with gritty guys with size right?

Do you remember the time when:

- Lashoff played big minutes with Kronwall

- Brunner played with Zetterberg

- Franzen played with Datsjuk

- Quincey was injured

- Tatar was in our NHL roster

...tell you what? This was the time when Wings played successfully. Plus see how well the Canuck's played this season despite just one of their bottom six has more size than Zetterberg. We beat them twice, but sure not because of our toughness :lol:

Anyway, we've a lot of young talents and if we let go our useless defensemen (Ericsson, Quincey) and buy out Samuelsson we would have enough cap space to create offensive lines like that:

Tatar, Datsjuk, Jurco

Nyquist, Zetterberg, Brunner

Franzen, Filppula, Bertuzzi

Miller, Helm, Cleary

Not bad, eh? Even that 4th would create a lot of offense. And if one of the younger guy's struggling, we simply switch him with one of our veteran 3rd liners. No problem. I'm sure there's enough size in these lines. Especially if we hold Abby, Eaves or Tootoo as scratches and maybe give Sheahan another chance. The rest of our Prospects will maybe not be ready next season but that doesn't matter.

Disasterous?   As oppossed to the success of our current 10th place standing and 3-5-2 in our last ten? 

I understand what you're saying, completely.  I just don't agree with it.  Nyquist and Tatar have carried the water in GR; it's time to turn them loose with Datsyuk and enable them to take it to the next level.   They know their way around in the corners.

Abby and Cleary in the top 6 hasn't gotten us into playoff standing, and is not going to bring the Cup home.  We've got a better chance riding Young Guns.

Not bad, I agree. But despite the fact that Tatar plays very hard, you can't pair Datsjuk with Tatar and Nyquist. That would not work. Datsjuk needs Franzen or an other guy with size who drives to the net and creates some space for him. That's a fact and that's why he needs a guy like Jurco, Franzen or Bertuzzi.

#80 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

This is a very interesting bargaining technique; his agent is to be commened.

I Googled  the word "Entitlement" and his image appeared.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.