• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

EDGE

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

This team doesn't have one. Helm plays with an edge. I'm starting to think that Helmet may be our MVP. I saw Drake mentioned in another post. That dude definitely played with an edge. Is getting Helm back enough, or do we need a few more guys who play every game like it's their last??

Ideally I'd like guys that are edgy, but at the same time know how to contribute. I don't think bringing in any more Tootoo type guys is going to do anything. But look at Columbus, they're a team full of scrappy, edgy guys, who still find a way to produce at the NHL level. Not that I necessarily think that Columbus is some sort of organizational model or anything, but simple that a couple Foligno, Dubinsky, Umberger style players would be helpful.

Note to all the argumentative types out there: I am not saying I want to be Columbus nor am I saying that the three guys I mentioned are available, or should be on our radar. I'm just saying a couple guys with their skill set would probably help us out.

Ideally I'd like guys that are edgy, but at the same time know how to contribute. I don't think bringing in any more Tootoo type guys is going to do anything. But look at Columbus, they're a team full of scrappy, edgy guys, who still find a way to produce at the NHL level. Not that I necessarily think that Columbus is some sort of organizational model or anything, but simple that a couple Foligno, Dubinsky, Umberger style players would be helpful.

Note to all the argumentative types out there: I am not saying I want to be Columbus nor am I saying that the three guys I mentioned are available, or should be on our radar. I'm just saying a couple guys with their skill set would probably help us out.

If you're just naming players, I would add Backes to that list of "edgy". He's got a good solid skill set and gives players and opposing fans fits. As far as non-wings players go, he's among my favourites.

What I think we need as far as "edge" goes is working harder to get to the centre of the ice, less fancy plays and just get it on net, too many of our shots seem to go wide, or low and hit the goalie's pads. There have been rebounds available but we're never there. If we were better at getting into those dirty areas, I think our scoring would be up by about 3 tenths of a goal/game. In the off-season it's important in my opinion that our players get stronger and tougher. We have a lot of young guys and I think it would be great for them to work in that area.

edge-wrestler-net-worth.jpg

If we can't get this guy, call up Callahan and Sheahan. Go after Clarkson and any other tough grinders who can score. We need to change our philosophy, since we no longer have the skill to play the old system.

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread, though I think his injury would also prevent him from playing hockey. I do agree that we no longer have to the skill to play the old system, but I'm not sure if Kenny and the rest of them will realize it themselves or keep on trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

The kind of guys you're talking about are the guys that get the puck and create space for the guys like Gaborik, Atkinson and Calvert. Can't wait to see the 3 guys they draft in the 1st round this year. I may actually wait to cancel my cable until the draft is done. Very interested in this years 1st round.

And I will go on record. If the BJ's work hard enough to take our playoff spot, I may actually cheer for them come playoff time cause they WANTED IT MORE!

Even IF we get helm back I doubt he will immediately have his speed up to par and if he doesn't have his speed he is essentially worthless. I love helm but without his speed he is nothing special. His speed is what allows him all of his "edge". Without it he's a average grinder with no hands, with it he's our X factor. I hope he can come back but there is no point in rushing him back or playing him until he is 100% back to where he was.