• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Putting Hank's goal scoring problems into perspective.

Rate this topic

• He has gone through goal droughts of 11, 9, and 10 games.
  • He has scored in 6 of 43 games this year
  • He has 4 goals since February 2nd, 34 games played
  • Shooting a career low 5.9% (he hasn't been at least 10% since 08-09)

He has never been a "goal scorer", but we need better than that from the captain.

He's got 4 fewer goals and 3 fewer points than Datsyuk. Neither are exploding with offense, but I think neither are the problem either. If you are asking more form them, you are probably asking too much. Datsyuk is producing at pretty much the same rate as he did last year and Hank is actually up a bit from last year (points perspective, goals only very slightly down). Did a lot think they should have produced more last year and hope this year was better? Perhaps, but that may be unrealistic as well....they are only getting older.

I'm still not convinced that Hank is healthy. At the very least that groin problem he had is still lingering.

I haven't thought he's looked healthy since like 15 games in. I think he's trying to be Steve Yzerman. The captain role probably plays a huge amount of stress on it as well does the state of the team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg know this team is build around them. As a captain and piece of the core, he's trying to play hurt. Now all of this is speculation on my part, but I wouldn't find it bizarre if true.

Kinda wished Hank had just rested through the lockout. Even if he built some chemistry with Brunner that lead to their great start, I think Hank is the kind of player who could be top 10 in scoring in a shortened season. But when he has to play 82 games he seems to go through long slumps where he's probably battling groin/back pains.

We need both him and Pav to bring it in the last 5 games. I haven't been disappointed by either one of them in make-or-break moments of the past so I hope they can muster up everything they have now and push this team over the edge and into the playoffs.

Guest The Axe

Zetterberg and Datsyuk need a Stamkos. Until Holland pulls his head out and ponies up, why even get on these guys? Datsyuk has played with Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Clearly and Abdelkader. This is hideous. I liken it to punishment. Imagine what it would be like if he had Z and a sniper. Oh wait. I don't have to imagine. It was fricken awesome when Z and Hull were his wingers. Holland should be doing everything possible to pry Bobby Ryan away from the Ducks and put him on a line with Z and Dats. That will help Zetterberg's output.

He's played 6 good games all year. Our best players s*** themselves when the team needed them most

What 6 games are those?

He's been great for the better part of the season. He had a slump recently for 10-15 games where he looked sluggish. Last couple of games he looks better. Good things usually happen when he has the puck in the offensive zone. Sadly both him and the rest of our team is unable to score.

He's got 4 fewer goals and 3 fewer points than Datsyuk. Neither are exploding with offense, but I think neither are the problem either. If you are asking more form them, you are probably asking too much. Datsyuk is producing at pretty much the same rate as he did last year and Hank is actually up a bit from last year (points perspective, goals only very slightly down). Did a lot think they should have produced more last year and hope this year was better? Perhaps, but that may be unrealistic as well....they are only getting older.

I think it is just magnified when the team as a whole is not scoring goals. When your team isn't scoring, you look to your top guys.

And I guess the reality is this: he has nearly a point per game and is in the top 15 (?) in league scoring, and yet this team needs MORE from him. That probably says more about the team itself than Hank.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk need a Stamkos. Until Holland pulls his head out and ponies up, why even get on these guys? Datsyuk has played with Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Clearly and Abdelkader. This is hideous. I liken it to punishment. Imagine what it would be like if he had Z and a sniper. Oh wait. I don't have to imagine. It was fricken awesome when Z and Hull were his wingers. Holland should be doing everything possible to pry Bobby Ryan away from the Ducks and put him on a line with Z and Dats. That will help Zetterberg's output.

The thing is, we're already paying a lot for Pav and Hank. If we have to go out and get an expensive sniper for each of them in order to score goals, we'll have to hope for bargains from the rest of the roster. And how long before their playmaking starts to fade as well?

That's why I think it would be a waste of resources to try building around them again. We're not in an advantagous position for it, and our window is very narrow if it even exists at all.

Edited by Buppy

when your not scoring goals you need players like zdawg to step up even more. Unfortunately the opposites happening and you can only wonder if he's hurt...I just wanna see some more emotion from the guy, he can't try and lead a team like Lids. We are not as strong as previous years and its time to hold some redwings accountable instead of repeating the same quotes "we played hard, but we just couldn't capitalize when we had our chances". His leadership will improve no doubt but being mr nice guy doesn't work for everybody.

People complaining about our two best players being PPG players. How bad is it going to feel when they go and we don't have anyone that produces like them ? We have no one that is for sure going to be 82 point players while playing an elite defensive style, our prospects are only 'projected' to be similar to Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Jeez, we have been so spoiled that we are now turning on our best players... crazy.

Guest irishock

I'm still not convinced that Hank is healthy. At the very least that groin problem he had is still lingering.

He hasn't been healthy for 3 years.

I think it is just magnified when the team as a whole is not scoring goals. When your team isn't scoring, you look to your top guys.

And I guess the reality is this: he has nearly a point per game and is in the top 15 (?) in league scoring, and yet this team needs MORE from him. That probably says more about the team itself than Hank.

Datsyuk is 21st in league scoring and Zetterberg is 30th. If you think about it, that's much better than what the average team has. Problem is that the Wings probably have more below average players than average or above average.

He hasn't been healthy for 3 years.

Agreed.

I always wonder exactly how often Zetterberg is dealing with nagging injuries through the season. His back, his wrist, now his groin. You hear things from Khan about Z leaving the ice early during practice and he makes it sound like that's not unusual.

Kinda wished Hank had just rested through the lockout. Even if he built some chemistry with Brunner that lead to their great start, I think Hank is the kind of player who could be top 10 in scoring in a shortened season. But when he has to play 82 games he seems to go through long slumps where he's probably battling groin/back pains.

We need both him and Pav to bring it in the last 5 games. I haven't been disappointed by either one of them in make-or-break moments of the past so I hope they can muster up everything they have now and push this team over the edge and into the playoffs.

Wasn't Z's best goal scoring season, 43 goals 92 points I believe the year after he spent the entire summer in the gym doing strength training? He is a smaller forward with groin and back issues... He needs to build massive strength in the offseason like he did prior to his 43 goal season and we'll see a Hank that can play even harder, take more punishment and get more grunt behind his shots and dial in the sights. I remember him saying after his bulk up offseason that his conditioning wasn't as good as usual, but he felt stronger.

People complaining about our two best players being PPG players. How bad is it going to feel when they go and we don't have anyone that produces like them ? We have no one that is for sure going to be 82 point players while playing an elite defensive style, our prospects are only 'projected' to be similar to Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Jeez, we have been so spoiled that we are now turning on our best players... crazy.

We'll re-sign White and Cleary to pick up the slack. Without Z and Dats in the way they'll turn into Ovie and Green from a few years ago.

The thing is, we're already paying a lot for Pav and Hank. If we have to go out and get an expensive sniper for each of them in order to score goals, we'll have to hope for bargains from the rest of the roster. And how long before their playmaking starts to fade as well?

That's why I think it would be a waste of resources to try building around them again. We're not in an advantagous position for it, and our window is very narrow if it even exists at all.

What do you suggest if not building around our best guys?

I agree that both Pav and Z (and Howard) get way too much crap around here. If we had a couple more players in the lineup that brough the consistant effort that those guys do we'd not be watching other teams' games to find out if we're gonna make the playoffs, but to find out who we were going to face.

Pav and Z have been carrying a lot of the PK load lately too and without helm this is really hurting us. They can't spend as much time on the ice in the offensive zone. Z looks hampered lately. Many forget the BEAT MODE he started the season with - he had a 5 point game that one night and looked great for a 3 week stretch. We need more young guys to carry this team with energy and effort. Too many passengers right now.

Here's some perspective. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the biggest offensive threats we have. You know it, I know it, and every team we play knows it. When they're separated they get double teamed, and when they're together no other line has any potential offense. We simply don't have the horses. That's why they don't score...because everyone and their brother knows to key on those guys to the exclusion of everyone else.

Agreed that Hank hasn't looked healthy for 3 years.

I don't really have a problem with Hank this year except as someone has mentioned those blind passes he throws out there.

Always wish Hank would somehow work on his skating more. Liked Hank more so when he was quick off and on the puck.

Injuries probably have something to do with that now that I think about it.

I thought when Hank "bulked up" he lost something in his speed. Maybe.

Regardless of his scoring output lately he's a good leader on and off the ice and rightfully so.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Guest The Axe

All good points. Ive been trying to explain why Datsyuk and his agent are posturing in another thread. That 7 million can be spread out on 2 good young guys, 1 good sniper, or 1 Pavel Datsyuk. Personally, I think Pavel's worth every penny of 7 mil per for 5 more years. But I would hope the Red Wings brass considers all the options before resigning him.

All good points. Ive been trying to explain why Datsyuk and his agent are posturing in another thread. That 7 million can be spread out on 2 good young guys, 1 good sniper, or 1 Pavel Datsyuk. Personally, I think Pavel's worth every penny of 7 mil per for 5 more years. But I would hope the Red Wings brass considers all the options before resigning him.

No. Simply put you resign pavel at all costs! Ill take pav at 7 over two players at 3.5 each. Without pav we would be a lottery team

If we DIDN'T resign Pav I would consider Holland a failure and be beyond mad at the entire organization. I won't watch the Wings play AGAINST Pavel Datsyuk. Seeing him in another jersey, to me, would signify that any shred of the great team we have been is gone.