Photo
- - - - -

Putting Hank's goal scoring problems into perspective.

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Days and Z are the best guys. Who could be against these 2? Even the fans of other teams like Hank and Pavs.

Well yes I agree, but these seems to be some sort of idea that because Datsyuk and Zetterberg are having an "off year" the rest of the players production is suffering because of them. But obviously that's not the case since both men are leading their teams in points and no one else is even close to having as many points as they have.

Edited by kickazz, 20 April 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#62 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Well yes I agree, but these seems to be some sort of idea that because Datsyuk and Zetterberg are having an "off year" the rest of the players production is suffering because of them. But obviously that's not the case since both men are leading their teams in points and no one else is even close to having as many points as they have.

Exactly. There are no facts to support these 2 players having anything to do with our crappy record. Holland not landing Praise, Suter, and Semin is what killed us.

#63 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Zettererg is aging pretty bad. He will never be the same player and IMO only has two more soild years left or so

Posted Image

#64 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

I am getting a little over the top with that, eh. OK. I just think he's all that's left out there.

You know he's signed for two more years, right?

#65 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Exactly. There are no facts to support these 2 players having anything to do with our crappy record. Holland not landing Praise, Suter, and Semin is what killed us.

Sorry but Suter, parise, z and franzen all signed long term would DESTROY us down the road. But yes the first xouokebyears would've been AWESOME!

Edited by DeGraa55, 20 April 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#66 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Zetterberg was fantastic early in the season. Six of his goals and 19 of his assists were from January and February.  He's had double digit stretches of games where he hasn't scored.  He's the captain of the team and should be a difference maker out there most games.  The last half of the season, he has not produced, which has coincided with the Wings plummeting in the standings.  Leading a low scoring Wings team is not much of an accomplishment.  Neither he or Datsyuk is in the top 20 in league scoring.  All 9 of his goals (3 in 1 game)  came in Wings victories.  So when he scores, the Wings win. 

#67 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

After watching last nights game, I can safely say that Mr. Zetterberg is out of gas. 

#68 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Zetterberg was fantastic early in the season. Six of his goals and 19 of his assists were from January and February.  He's had double digit stretches of games where he hasn't scored.  He's the captain of the team and should be a difference maker out there most games.  The last half of the season, he has not produced, which has coincided with the Wings plummeting in the standings.  Leading a low scoring Wings team is not much of an accomplishment.  Neither he or Datsyuk is in the top 20 in league scoring.  All 9 of his goals (3 in 1 game)  came in Wings victories.  So when he scores, the Wings win. 

If it were up to me, I'd rearrange the whole forward corps.

Z-Dats-Flip
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar
Sheahan-Emmerton-Ericsson
Franzen-Abdelkader-Kronwall

Dekeyser-Kindl
Quincey-Lashoff
Smith-Colo

Howard
Gustavsson

Cleary can pound sand.

#69 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

The thing is, we're already paying a lot for Pav and Hank. If we have to go out and get an expensive sniper for each of them in order to score goals, we'll have to hope for bargains from the rest of the roster. And how long before their playmaking starts to fade as well?

That's why I think it would be a waste of resources to try building around them again. We're not in an advantagous position for it, and our window is very narrow if it even exists at all.

Good point, Bupster.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#70 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

Still blaming Holland for Suter's wife and Parise being from Minnesota?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#71 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

I am.

Brian Burke would have gotten to the wife somehow.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#72 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am.

Brian Burke would have gotten to the wife somehow.  

Truculence dude.  Plain and simple. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#73 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Do you realize that 95% of our players have wives/families that live in ANOTHER F%&KING COUNTRY?!!!! If Holland sucks so bad that he can only lure Michigan natives, then we are in trouble. Your argument is weak. Money talks, and BS walks.

#74 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Do you realize that 95% of our players have wives/families that live in ANOTHER F%&KING COUNTRY?!!!! If Holland sucks so bad that he can only lure Michigan natives, then we are in trouble. Your argument is weak. Money talks, and BS walks.

You're ignoring every bit of truth. This was the story BEFORE they had signed with Minnesota. This post goes into detail WHY they had thought Minnesota was going to get Parise and Suter, and sure enough, it was.

That's interesting that you mention Suter's wife, Becky. She a business school grad from U of Wisconsin. Ryan Suter met her there during his one and only year playing for the badgers.

Ultimately, it may be Suter's wife responsible for Weber's eventual exit from NSH.

Weber seemed content to sign a multi-year deal with NSH back in 2010. But as contract talks gradually wore on, I suspect his buddy Suter at some point told him, "Hey Shea, I don't know if you really want to sign a long term deal, brah. I think there's a good chance I might be signing elsewhere my deal is up."

I think Suter wants out because he wants to do something nice for his wife, who still lists herself as working for her dad's real estate firm, which is in Minneapolis. It just so happens, Zach Parise is also from Minneapolis and he and Ryan Suter are known to be friends. I think those two have a plan that involves the Wild.

Parise bought a lake front mansion in suburban Minneapolis last summer and will be married, (likely) at the golf course across from his house, to his North Dakota fiancee on July 21. Suter and his wife were married at that same country club a few years ago.

So as Parise and Suter's plans started to form, likely over the Olympics, perhaps solidifying last season, Weber's tune started changing last spring about signing longterm in NSH. As you know, he ended up letting the negotiation go to (team elected) arbitration, ultimately picking the one year award instead of the two.

I recall hearing on Team 1040 last season, one of the local reporters saying that Weber told him about Vancouver during the Olympics, "this wouldn't be a bad place to play, eh" (or something to that effect). He's also on record as saying Vancouver is his favorite road city because "it's close to home." And as you stated, it's close to home for his fiancee, Bailey. 

So there you go, the moral of the story could very well end up being: if you want to know where a player is going to sign, check with the wives.

Ignoring the part about Weber, the truth of the matter is that Parise and Suter had their minds set. There was no amount of money that was going to change that. They both had lives in Minnesota and it made the most sense for both parties. Holland could've offered them the moon, but unless he went back rewrote history, it wasn't going to change anything.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#75 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Can we get over the Suter and parise thing already. It is done.

#76 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Back to Z and Dat for that matter. I mentioned this last summer. both f them have been in a slow decline for about 5 years. Here are Z's point totals since 08: 92, 73, 70, 80, and 69. Not including this year. in 08-his career year Z scored 43 goals and had a 12% shooting %. Since then his shots have remained the same. but the goals and shooting % have dropped. 31, 23, 24, 22, and 9 this year. his shooting % has gone from 12% to 10%, 7.4%, 7.8%, 8.2% and 5.7% this year.

Datsyuk is the same, but not as bad. His career years were 80 and 09 with 97 points each year. Since then he has had seasons of: 70, 59, 67, and 41 this year. His goal numbers have also dropped off. He had 31 nad 32 goals in 08 and 09. Since then he has produced: 27, 23, and 19. 13 so far this season. His shooting % has remained fairly stable though.

Now both are still good players. Neither is done. But Z is becoming a 60 point per year guy and datsyuk is closer to a 70 point per year guy. yes things could be worse. But neither is an offensive force that can carry a team by themelves anymore. They need to help to be effective, as this season has shown. We are 26th in goals scoed this year, as of today. Think about that. 26th!

#77 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Back to Z and Dat for that matter. I mentioned this last summer. both f them have been in a slow decline for about 5 years. Here are Z's point totals since 08: 92, 73, 70, 80, and 69. Not including this year. in 08-his career year Z scored 43 goals and had a 12% shooting %. Since then his shots have remained the same. but the goals and shooting % have dropped. 31, 23, 24, 22, and 9 this year. his shooting % has gone from 12% to 10%, 7.4%, 7.8%, 8.2% and 5.7% this year.

Datsyuk is the same, but not as bad. His career years were 80 and 09 with 97 points each year. Since then he has had seasons of: 70, 59, 67, and 41 this year. His goal numbers have also dropped off. He had 31 nad 32 goals in 08 and 09. Since then he has produced: 27, 23, and 19. 13 so far this season. His shooting % has remained fairly stable though.

Now both are still good players. Neither is done. But Z is becoming a 60 point per year guy and datsyuk is closer to a 70 point per year guy. yes things could be worse. But neither is an offensive force that can carry a team by themelves anymore. They need to help to be effective, as this season has shown. We are 26th in goals scoed this year, as of today. Think about that. 26th!

Would agree with you overall, but this season Z and D are about a point per game so that would make each around 80 point per season. (for this season)

Edited by kickazz, 23 April 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#78 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Once again, Datsyuk and Z both played overseas this year. Z has a history of injuries. They'll be fine once they recover. The lockout was horrible this year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#79 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Would agree with you overall, but this season Z and D are about a point per game so that would make each around 80 point per season. (for this season)

But they are also trending downward in games played-which is normal as guys get older. This year should be thrown out however. hard to get any real ideas about things. yes Z and Datsyuk started great. But they were already in game shape, where as half the league was not. Go back and review our season. For the first 10-15 games the team as a whole played poorly. but Z, Datsyuk, and Brunner where on fire. Since then, the team as a whole is playing much better, but those 3 have dropped off. Z and Brunner have done so big time.

#80 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

They are both sandbagging!!