• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Detroit: Circa June 2018...

Rate this topic

Not a fan of Domi, and it has nothing to do with his dad. How is he different from the other forwards that we have? Nyquist, tatar, Jarnkrok, etc..... he is a small play making good shooting F. We have a ton of those guys.

As for Rychel, I see him and think a young Dan Cleary. He is an effort guy no doubt.

I don't agree with your take on Domi, but you have been spot on, imo, with everything else. Domi is a scorer, tho undersized is scrappy. I think Marchand is a nice comparison for Domi.

I was actually thinking who Rychel would compare to, and props to you sir that is absolutely a perfect example. I don't think Kerby Rychel would be a terrible choice, lest we forget Cleary was pretty good in his prime for us. However I like Zykov if Mantha and Gauthier are gone. It may be a stretch in the mid 1st but he won't be there in the second round when we pick. He is a diamond in the rough imo.

Edited by MasterPavel

Got any further info on McCarron? I haven't been able to find a scouting report/talent analysis, or even a highlight reel. I see he ended up 35th among NA skaters in the CSS final rankings, but that doesn't give any real notion of how he stacks up against the Euros. The only current combined ranking I can find is from Craig Button, and he doesn't have him in his top 75. Mackenzie had him 49th in January, but offered no other info.

Either way, I think it'll be hard to go wrong in this draft. Our only real need is future star power (which we probably won't have a shot at any of the "can't miss" guys), so we're basically just adding depth to an already strong pool.

Yes here is some info on him:

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl-draft-rankings-war-room-april-edition-round-2-31-60/

That site has him 55th overall.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/michael-mccarron/19555/

The second link gives a profile and scouting report for him.

Yes, finding highlights for the team USA U-18 players is kind a tough. Not sure why, just isn't mch out there interms of highlight tapes. A few fights,or film of them scoring in a specific game is about all.

I don't agree with your take on Domi, but you have been spot on, imo, with everything else. Domi is a scorer, tho undersized is scrappy. I think Marchand is a nice comparison for Domi.

I was actually thinking who Rychel would compare to, and props to you sir that is absolutely a perfect example. I don't think Kerby Rychel would be a terrible choice, lest we forget Cleary was pretty good in his prime for us. However I like Zykov if Mantha and Gauthier are gone. It may be a stretch in the mid 1st but he won't be there in the second round when we pick. He is a diamond in the rough imo.

Cleary and Rychel are almost twins in many aspects. Highly rated coming out, will be drafted high, and be 50 point guys in their best years. No that isn't terrible. But that isn't what we need. We need potential supers. 40 goal per year guys. Now if Rychel falls and we take him in the 3rd round, that would be a good pick. In most years, your top 2 rounds should be top 2 line guys. After that you hope for a surprise but mainly are picking up bottom 2 line guys. This year is deep and you will be able to find top 2 line guys in the 3/4th rounds.

some more opinions on McCarron and fasching.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/usa-russia-prospect-recap/

As deep as this year's draft is, I'm having a really hard time trying to determine why White, and to a lesser extent Filppula, weren't traded. I realize with Flip it was a "just in case" we make the playoffs thing, but man wouldn't it have been nice to land another first rounder?

Now for the 4th round. Still lots of talent left, but now most of it is at LW. But not all. Here is the list of guys I like:

Matt Buckles 6-2/210 C RHed, OJHL player of the year, college bound, plays like Dustin Brown.

Zach Glienke 6-3/200 LW college bound

Zach Sanford 6-3/190 LW college bound

Stephan Harper 6-2/200 LW

Scott Oke 6-3/205 LW

junior HS tape of Sanford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Gj02mrqiM

Rich if your posts weren't so long and jumbled I might actually read them. lol
Some of the big guys I like:
Nichushkin 6'4 196 W
Zadorov 6'5 230 D
Nurse 6'3 190 D
Ristolainen 6'3 203 D
Mantha 6'4 190 W
Gauthier 6'5 210 C
Kujawinski 6'2 203 C
Hagg 6'2 204 D
Santini 6'2 207 D
Morin 6'7 200 D
McCarron 6'5 227 W
Bailey 6'3 194 W
Fasching 6'2 213 W
Hayden 6'2 220 C
McCoshen 6'2 207 D

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we could snag two of those guys.

5th round and later. Lots of long term prospects left over. Some of the more interesting ones to me are:

Tyler Hill 6-6/225 LW

Axel Blomqvist 6-6/215 LW

Peter Cehlarik 6-2/195 LW

Dwyer Tshantz 6-5/215 RW

Nick Betz 6-5/210 RW

Tomas Torok 6-2/200 LW

Cehlarik highlights

As deep as this year's draft is, I'm having a really hard time trying to determine why White, and to a lesser extent Filppula, weren't traded. I realize with Flip it was a "just in case" we make the playoffs thing, but man wouldn't it have been nice to land another first rounder?

I agree. No one screamed louder about moving some guys for more picks. Heck an extra 2nd and 3rd would be awesome!

(the voice of Gary Thorn)

Welcome to downtown Detroit for game 1 of the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals. The first of many in new Little Ceasers arena. This finals features the Western Conference champs Anahiem Ducks and the Eastern Conference champions Detroit Red Wings. now for the introductions.

For the anahiem ducks....who cares......

Now for the Detroit Red Wings. Starting at LW, the season hits leader and penaty minutes leader, coming in at 6-5/235 pounds: Mike-The Left Bower-Mckee! At center, the regular season goal scoring leader measuring in at 6-3/210 pounds: Anthony-Crimson Death-Mantha! At RW, season totals of 25 goals and 150 penalty minutes, tilting the scales at 235, standing 6-5: Mike-The Right Bower-McCarron! At right defense, the current Norris Trophy winner, coming in at 6-4/215 pounds: Ryan-The Sniper-Sproul! On the Left D, The Captain. Standing in at 6-3/215: Danny-The Flying Dutchman-DeKeyser! In the crease, the grumpy old man. The league MVP: Jimmy Howard!

Back to the present. Let the draft games begin! Some thoughts.

1. Of the lineup I just mentioned for the future, we already have 2/3's of it. Just need Mantha and McCarron in this years draft.

2. If we make the playoffs or not, we will most likely be picking bewtween 12th and 16th. Baring a major change between now and next weekend.

3. Most of the many many draft links have Mantha going between 12th and 22nd. Right were we will be picking. We need big tall goal scorers. Mantha is that player. he is 6-3/180ish, shoots lefthanded, and scored 50 goals this season as a leftwing.

4. We strongly need to add RHed shooters and size. McCarron is currently 6-5/227, RHed, and is from Detroit. Most of the sites have him going between 40 and 55. In other words, where we pick in the second round.maybe the 3rd, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Big American Forwards that can skate, score, and play physical go fast. Grabbing McCarron in the second might be more important than Mantha in the first. There are a few other options in the first that also fit the bill. but not so much in the second.

5. This is a deep draft. Lots of potential 20+ gola scoring power forwards available. The key to how good our draft is, may very well be the 3rd and 4th rounds. Who we get in these 2 rounds will be the deciding factor between a good draft and a great draft.

More thoughts and ideas for the draft later.

Hmmm, I wonder if we're speaking about the same guy. My girlfriend is friends with his sister. It finally dawned on me today that you were talking about her brother. Didn't he get drafted by the Oilers? I swear she said that he did. He played for the U18 USA team?

*EDIT* Nevermind nevermind nevermind. We're speaking of the same family. I was talking about John McCarron. I just asked my girlfriend and she said Mike is one of the other brothers.

Edited by evilzyme

The only thing I've come up with is "depth." Which isn't entirely unreasonable, I guess. I mean, what if we lose one or two of our normal rotationers (it's a word. I just invented it. Shut up) to injury? I'd feel OK with White stepping in, disappointing though he's been, and draft pick though he could've fetched.

Rich if your posts weren't so long and jumbled I might actually read them. lol
Some of the big guys I like:
Nichushkin 6'4 196 W
Zadorov 6'5 230 D
Nurse 6'3 190 D
Ristolainen 6'3 203 D
Mantha 6'4 190 W
Gauthier 6'5 210 C
Kujawinski 6'2 203 C
Hagg 6'2 204 D
Santini 6'2 207 D
Morin 6'7 200 D
McCarron 6'5 227 W
Bailey 6'3 194 W
Fasching 6'2 213 W
Hayden 6'2 220 C
McCoshen 6'2 207 D

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we could snag two of those guys.

I think Hagg could be the future shutdown defender we need

If I counted correctly, if the draft was today, we are picking 17th. so 17th in the first round, 47th in the second round, 77th in the 3rd round, 107th in the 4th round, and 137th in the 5th round. All of which fit the players I listed almost to a tee.

Now if the draft was today, i would pick:

1. mantha

2. McCarron

3. Bell

4. Buckles

5. Hill

Think of some possible line combos if they all work out:

McKee-Mantha-tatar

Nyquist-Buckles-McCarron

Hill-Jarnkrok-Bell

Sheahan-Andersson-Abdelkader

Jurco and Trvdon as the 13th/14th forwards

Now, if Holland was ever going to do something basd on my suggestions, it would be now. Pick up and extra pick between our 1st and 2nd pick. use that pick on Bailey. If that was to happen, now look at our potentail lines:

McKee-Mantha-Jarnkrok

Nyquist-Bailey-McCarron

Hill-Buckles-Bell

Sheahan-Andersson-Abdelkader

Jurco and Trvdon

That is a very nice deep forward group. of course, we still have free agency, trades, and 4 drafts after this year before the 17/18 season gets here. But you have 4 LHed shots at LH, 2 RH and 2 LH at C, and 3 of the 4 at RW are RHed. 11 are 6-1 or taller, and there is a ton of skill.

I really like Mantha, and think he would be an absolute steal at the 12-20 range.

It seems like fans on every team think he will be their teams steal.

I don't know much about him but perhaps be is a bit underrated.

It seems like fans on every team think he will be their teams steal.

I don't know much about him but perhaps be is a bit underrated.

In a normal draft he would be a top 5 pick. He has flown under the radar, and think that he will probably be gone before 17-20. unless there is a run on defenseman.

Last night once again showed we need to add size, skill, and grit to our foward core. We got knocked down all game, had 0 threats after the first line, and in general are far to easy to play against. On the plus side, the D played well overall. 0-0 game at even strength.

With Jensen now signed, there is no need for drafting any Dmen in this draft. We don't have any room for them!

RW: Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Smith, Lashoff, Q, Cola, and Kindl.

Griffins: Nicastro, Jensen, Sproul, Oullet, big Ned, Almqvist, and Evens for depth.

Unsigned Dmen we control: Backman, merchenko, De Haas. I am sure i am forgeting someone. (I still consider McKee a LW-at least that is my hope)

Edited by Richdg

With Jensen now signed, there is no need for drafting any Dmen in this draft. We don't have any room for them!

RW: Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Smith, Lashoff, Q, Cola, and Kindl.

Griffins: Nicastro, Jensen, Sproul, Oullet, big Ned, Almqvist, and Evens for depth.

Unsigned Dmen we control: Backman, merchenko, De Haas. I am sure i am forgeting someone. (I still consider McKee a LW-at least that is my hope)

I'd have to disagree with that. You can never have too much depth, and it's never too soon to start drafting the next wave. Furthermore, I'd say a top-pair 2-way defenseman is just as much of a need as a goal scorer or power forward. Sproul is the only one who seems to have that potential, and I wouldn't say that it's particularly likely that he'll get there.

If someone like Pulock is available, we'd have to consider it. Depending on who else is available, he could easily be our best option.

I would expect to see us take a couple defensemen this year.

I'd have to disagree with that. You can never have too much depth, and it's never too soon to start drafting the next wave. Furthermore, I'd say a top-pair 2-way defenseman is just as much of a need as a goal scorer or power forward. Sproul is the only one who seems to have that potential, and I wouldn't say that it's particularly likely that he'll get there.

If someone like Pulock is available, we'd have to consider it. Depending on who else is available, he could easily be our best option.

I would expect to see us take a couple defensemen this year.

Yes you always need depth. But that can also wait a year. No Dman that we draft this year would be ready for a couple of years anyway, and the Forward corp will only be getting worse. if datsyuk leaves, well i hope not... yikes!

Yes you always need depth. But that can also wait a year. No Dman that we draft this year would be ready for a couple of years anyway, and the Forward corp will only be getting worse. if datsyuk leaves, well i hope not... yikes!

But the same is true for forwards.

Like I said, it depends on who's available. The top 5 seems pretty well established with Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, and Barkov in some order. Then Nurse, Ristolainen, Monahan, and Lindholm seem unlikely to fall far enough for us. Everyone else could potentially be available, or could go in the top 10.

Gauthier and Mantha would be my top choices, and maybe Zykov, and if Monahan were to fall some I'd make a bid to trade up (Phoenix at 12th would be concievable, though I doubt he'd fall that far), but if they're not available and were choosing between Pulock, Domi, and Wennberg then I'm taking Pulock. If Pulock's not there either, I'd probably look to trade down, hopefully pick up someone like Rychel plus and extra 2nd-rounder.

But the same is true for forwards.

Like I said, it depends on who's available. The top 5 seems pretty well established with Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, and Barkov in some order. Then Nurse, Ristolainen, Monahan, and Lindholm seem unlikely to fall far enough for us. Everyone else could potentially be available, or could go in the top 10.

Gauthier and Mantha would be my top choices, and maybe Zykov, and if Monahan were to fall some I'd make a bid to trade up (Phoenix at 12th would be concievable, though I doubt he'd fall that far), but if they're not available and were choosing between Pulock, Domi, and Wennberg then I'm taking Pulock. If Pulock's not there either, I'd probably look to trade down, hopefully pick up someone like Rychel plus and extra 2nd-rounder.

Nichushkin could fall-Russian and lready signed a 3 year extention in Russia. yes I understand the value thing, but there is plenty of value in this draft without taking a blueliner.

I really think/hope our first round pick this year will be a future top 6 forward for us.

I still wouldn't be opposed to a big trade that lands us the #1 pick so we can get Seth Jones. We don't really have the assets for that unless we give up multiple players. I think Seth Jones will be the top defensemen for the next generation. (Like a Lidstrom-type guy, but he obviously wont reach Lidstrom's level)

Our pick will probably be too high unless we get past another round or two, but I really like how Ryan Hartman plays. He seems to always work his ass off like Helm