• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Detroit: Circa June 2018...

Rate this topic

Richdg that is just not true. Here is Mynhldraft.com's scouting report on him. And all the rest talk about him as an explosive skater and very fast.

Strengths Max Domi is quite the package. Hes loaded with skill, is a dynamic offensive player and is one of the best skaters in this years class. Domis stride is explosive, to say the least. He has an incredibly high top speed and it doesnt take him long to reach it. Hes extremely shifty and is very good with stops and starts and at cutting strides. Hes not a big guy but what he lacks in size, he makes up for in heart and feistiness. He wont back down from anyone and he rarely gets outworked. While Domis willing to mix it up physically, hes very good at getting under the skin of his opponents and drawing penalties. Domi sees the ice very well and is an excellent playmaker. His hockey sense is through the roof and there are very few passes he cant make. Domi isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas of the ice and has no problem filling the net, either. His hands are incredible and he can often be found stick handling in a phone booth.

Sorry don't see it. Watching him I see Tatar, nothing more. I undestand everyone has their personnel favs so be it. It he is our first round pick it will be bad bad pick for us long term. he s not the type of player that is going to carry a team, like first round picks should from time to time. That doesn't mean he can't play.

I feel the same way about Rychel (spelling). Not a big fan of his either. I watch him and see Cleary. No that isn't terrible, but I expect a lot more from first round picks.

BTW John, I get that you have mad man love for Domi, but he is not his father. He is listed at 5-10 and we all know teams never lie. But him at 210-220 pounds will be fat. Go look at Lapointe his last couple of years. There is such a thing as to much weight, and 220 pounds on a 5-9/5-10 frame is a good example of it.

Rich- he is one of my favorites for the 1st round, but he is behind Mantha and Zykov. Big Fred is probably the lowest risk, but also has the lowest ceiling of the bunch that will be in our range. However I agree on Rychel, he looks like Danny Boy on film. Dan Cleary in his prime was a good player for us but version 2.0 is not what is needed.

Guest Johnz96

Sorry don't see it. Watching him I see Tatar, nothing more. I undestand everyone has their personnel favs so be it. It he is our first round pick it will be bad bad pick for us long term. he s not the type of player that is going to carry a team, like first round picks should from time to time. That doesn't mean he can't play.

I feel the same way about Rychel (spelling). Not a big fan of his either. I watch him and see Cleary. No that isn't terrible, but I expect a lot more from first round picks.

BTW John, I get that you have mad man love for Domi, but he is not his father. He is listed at 5-10 and we all know teams never lie. But him at 210-220 pounds will be fat. Go look at Lapointe his last couple of years. There is such a thing as to much weight, and 220 pounds on a 5-9/5-10 frame is a good example of it.

His dad was 5'9" 215lbs and usually won the fastest Maple Leaf in their skills competition. They are short and stocky.

His dad was 5'9" 215lbs and usually won the fastest Maple Leaf in their skills competition. They are short and stocky.

So? Doesn't mean anything. His dad 15 years ago was a goon. Nothing more. Hell Grimson once won our hardest shot competition. he couldn't play either. Now again, I am not saying max is a bad player. he is a guy that is able to put up Hudler type numbers. 20-25 goals and equal number of assists. but that is not a star and we need stars. Max is the type of guy you put on a line to help the other 2 out. he is not a guy that can lead a line. Thinking other wise is trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We do the same thing now with Cleary. we use him and a top 6 power forward, but that is not what Cleary is.

Rich- he is one of my favorites for the 1st round, but he is behind Mantha and Zykov. Big Fred is probably the lowest risk, but also has the lowest ceiling of the bunch that will be in our range. However I agree on Rychel, he looks like Danny Boy on film. Dan Cleary in his prime was a good player for us but version 2.0 is not what is needed.

That is always the trick. Mantha could be Modano or Klima. One I like the other not so much. Gauthier to me plays a game that could be Keith Primeau minus the fighting. But others compare him to Joe Thornton. Either of those work. I don't think that Gauthier is a guy that will be a 80+ point per year guy, more like 70 ish every year. 25-30 goals with another 30-40 assists. But he is also a very good face off man and plays great D. Long term he is also more affordable. There is always the great debate, is a team better with 4 superstars making big time money or 7/8 very good players making less, but having more depth? That debate will rage on.

Guest Johnz96

So? Doesn't mean anything. His dad 15 years ago was a goon. Nothing more. Hell Grimson once won our hardest shot competition. he couldn't play either. Now again, I am not saying max is a bad player. he is a guy that is able to put up Hudler type numbers. 20-25 goals and equal number of assists. but that is not a star and we need stars. Max is the type of guy you put on a line to help the other 2 out. he is not a guy that can lead a line. Thinking other wise is trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We do the same thing now with Cleary. we use him and a top 6 power forward, but that is not what Cleary is.

You said that 5'10" 210-220lb forward would be fat but that's exactly what his dad was and he wasn't fat and in fact the fastest skater on the Leafs That's what we were talking about not how good a hockey player his dad was.

I think the scout that wrote this report has seen him play more than you and has seen more jr. hockey than you so I would trust his judgement a lot more than yours especially considering some of the things you have said.

Edited by Johnz96

You said that 5'10" 210-220lb forward would be fat but that's exactly what his dad was and he wasn't fat and in fact the fastest skater on the Leafs That's what we were talking about not how good a hockey player his dad was.

I think the scout that wrote this report has seen him play more than you and has seen more jr. hockey than you so I would trust his judgement a lot more than yours especially considering some of the things you have said.

Of course he has, and if he is honest he would tell you he has no idea on how things will work out. That is true of every prospect in every draft.

No his dad listed about 210 wasn't fat, but he also wasn't much of a hockey player. I watch Tie play for years. Great fighter but that was all he brought to the table. Max is not as big as his dad nor will he be. Which is fine.

In 5 years the chances are much greater that Mantha, Gauthier, Wannenburg Erne etc... will all be better players than Domi, which in the end is what matters.

Max is 5'9" 194 lbs at 18. He'll probably end up around 5'10 210lbs as he grows. Not far off from zberg or dats. He's also incredibly more talented than his father, but also plays with his fathers fearless energy. Not a player to build around? How many 1st round players have been built around rich? Maybe 1 or 2 a draft? If hes another yzerman, awesome. if hes another lapointe, awesome. Your expectations are unrealistic, as are your evaluations of the guy.

Max is 5'9" 194 lbs at 18. He'll probably end up around 5'10 210lbs as he grows. Not far off from zberg or dats. He's also incredibly more talented than his father, but also plays with his fathers fearless energy. Not a player to build around? How many 1st round players have been built around rich? Maybe 1 or 2 a draft? If hes another yzerman, awesome. if hes another lapointe, awesome. Your expectations are unrealistic, as are your evaluations of the guy.

I don't think its fair to eliminate Domi from consideration based on size alone. If you are worried about raising our net team size we can do that with other picks. You just got to go best talent available and if he is the best there then I'm all for it. He could be one of those unique talents despite his size in the nhl for all we know.

EDIT: his type 1 diabetes is a bit of a risk though.

Edited by dirtydangles

When you say things like this, you really make yourself look foolish. 1 or 2 pr draft? LOL! I am not sure to debate with you or ignore you after that. That is so wrong it isn't even funny. But since you like to post I will answer.

here are the 1st round stars out of each draft from 2000 through 2009. The drafts after that are in the still to soon to know grou.

2000: Heatley, Gaborik, Klesla, Hartnell, Orpik, Boyes, Williams, Kronwall-8 that really made it.

2001: Kovolchuk, Spezza, Weiss, Goc-4 the worst year

2002: Nash, Bouwmeester, Semin, Ward-4 the worst year

2003: (this years draft is believed to rival this draft) Floury, Staal, Horton, Vanek, Michalek, Suter, Phaneuf, Carter, Brown, Seabrook, Parise, getzlef, Kesler, Richards, Perry-15 stars

2004: Ovechkin, Malkin, Ladd, Smid, Stafford, Zajac, Schneider, Green-8

2005: Crosby, Ryan, Johnson, Price, Kopitar, Hanzel, Rask, Oshie-8

2006: E Johnson, J Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Okposo, Giroux, Bergland-8

2007: Kane, van Riemsdyk, Voracek, Couture, Sutter, McDonugh, Pacieretti-7

2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, Boedker, Myers, Karlsson, Del Zotto, Eberle, Carlson-10

2009: Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, OEL-6

That makes 78 in 10 years, or a 8 star per year average. Yes you get a stinker year once in a while and you get a loaded year once in a while-like this year.

Of the names listed above, how many are under 6 ft tall? 1 or 2. Giroux is the only one off of the top of my head. The game is getting bigger and will continue to do so. yes a smaller guy can play, but the odds are very much against him. we need players with the odds in our favor that can become stars to lead this team over the next 15-20 years.

I don't think its fair to eliminate Domi from consideration based on size alone. If you are worried about raising our net team size we can do that with other picks. You just got to go best talent available and if he is the best there then I'm all for it. He could be one of those unique talents despite his size in the nhl for all we know.

EDIT: his type 1 diabetes is a bit of a risk though.

Yes. I didn't even get to that part yet. Diabetes is something that robs many of their strength. In the NFL-where this is common, once a guy develops it, they tend to have very short careers. No it is not a sure fire kiss of death, and depending on what type of diabetes it can be controlled and guys can have long careers. But again, this is a very deep draft filled with talented players. Why should we take that risk? we need some sure fire home runs this year. Like we did in 1983. Yzerman, Ysebert, Probert, Klima, Kocur, Grimson all in the same draft. All forwards and as a group gave us everything a team needs: speed, skill, size, toughness, leadership.

Guest Johnz96

When you say things like this, you really make yourself look foolish. 1 or 2 pr draft? LOL! I am not sure to debate with you or ignore you after that. That is so wrong it isn't even funny. But since you like to post I will answer.

here are the 1st round stars out of each draft from 2000 through 2009. The drafts after that are in the still to soon to know grou.

2000: Heatley, Gaborik, Klesla, Hartnell, Orpik, Boyes, Williams, Kronwall-8 that really made it.

2003: (this years draft is believed to rival this draft) Floury, Staal, Horton, Vanek, Michalek, Suter, Phaneuf, Carter, Brown, Seabrook, Parise, getzlef, Kesler, Richards, Perry-15 stars

2008: Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, Boedker, Myers, Karlsson, Del Zotto, Eberle, Carlson-10

That makes 78 in 10 years, or a 8 star per year average. Yes you get a stinker year once in a while and you get a loaded year once in a while-like this year.

Of the names listed above, how many are under 6 ft tall? 1 or 2. Giroux is the only one off of the top of my head. The game is getting bigger and will continue to do so. yes a smaller guy can play, but the odds are very much against him. we need players with the odds in our favor that can become stars to lead this team over the next 15-20 years.

Yes. I didn't even get to that part yet. Diabetes is something that robs many of their strength. In the NFL-where this is common, once a guy develops it, they tend to have very short careers. No it is not a sure fire kiss of death, and depending on what type of diabetes it can be controlled and guys can have long careers. But again, this is a very deep draft filled with talented players. Why should we take that risk? we need some sure fire home runs this year. Like we did in 1983. Yzerman, Ysebert, Probert, Klima, Kocur, Grimson all in the same draft. All forwards and as a group gave us everything a team needs: speed, skill, size, toughness, leadership.

He is absolutely right. He said "How many 1st round players have been built around". Most of the players you have listed have not been built around.

Only 1 of the top 5 scorers this year is over 6'0" and over 200lbs and they were smaller when they were drafted.

Only 2 of the top 10 scorers this year is over 6'0" and over 200lbs and they were smaller when they were drafted.

Only 6 of the top 20 scorers this year is over 6'0" and over 200lbs and they were smaller when they were drafted.

Edited by Johnz96

He is absolutely right. He said "How many 1st round players have been built around". Most of the players you have listed have not been built around.

That is a flat out lie and you know it. In fact, the best teams in the NHL all have 3, 4, 5 guys off of this list. How many do we have? 1. Kronwall and he is a borderline guy.

Boston is/has built around rask, Horton and other.

Pitt: Crosby, malkin, Orpik, Fluery, Staal who became Sutter.

Wash: Ovechkin, Green, Carlson, Backstrom

carolina: Staal and Sutter who became Staal

Florida: Weiss and Goc

etc etc etc.......

I you don't see that you are either blind, a fool, and just trying to argue. Either way doesn't matter. In todays NHL you build through the draft and then keep your own talent. You can't miss in the 1st round. If you do you will dry up in time.

Guest Johnz96

That is a flat out lie and you know it. In fact, the best teams in the NHL all have 3, 4, 5 guys off of this list. How many do we have? 1. Kronwall and he is a borderline guy.

Boston is/has built around rask, Horton and other.

Pitt: Crosby, malkin, Orpik, Fluery, Staal who became Sutter.

Wash: Ovechkin, Green, Carlson, Backstrom

carolina: Staal and Sutter who became Staal

Florida: Weiss and Goc

etc etc etc.......

I you don't see that you are either blind, a fool, and just trying to argue. Either way doesn't matter. In todays NHL you build through the draft and then keep your own talent. You can't miss in the 1st round. If you do you will dry up in time.

Let's keep it classy boys...

I am trying. Sometimes it is hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by turkeys! LOL I kid I kid.

before we got side tracked, I was talking about this years draft and who I think we should take and why those picks make sense for us to take them. 1. They will be available. 2. These guys match up to our teams weaknesses. That is/was my point. Now people are free to disagree, that is fine. if someone really likes another player, great! More power to you. We all have our own opinions. But for some to come out and say certian things, that are completely false is a little hard to take. In this day and age EVERY team in every sport is trying to build through the draft. Every team drafts guys in the 1st round with the intention of building around them. That is the whole point of the draft. No every first round pick does not turn into a star. About 8 per year do, with another 8-10 that merely become solid NHL players. That of course leaves another 8-10 that don't make it at all for one reason or another. Most of the time being injury.

Now does size matter? yes it does. To be specific, height matters. it is becoming harder and harder for guys under 6ft tall to succeed in the NHL. The human race as a whole continues to grow and so do hockey players. of the top 50 in points this year, only 10 (20%) where under 6ft tall. 7 of those 10 were 5-11. That means 6% of the of the top 50 were 5-10 or less, which is Domis height (5-9). As I said before very cleary, yes he can make it. But the odds are against him. We have much better odds with other guys. That was my point before all the extra got added in.

Now before I do rounds 5-7, which to be honest are a 100% crap shoot, let's stop and look at where the W would be with the draft I have laid out. My dream mock draft is: Gauthier, McCarron, Hayden, and Yakimov. Looking down the road a couple of years and adding these 4 to our current prospects that I feel are most likely to make, and vets most likely to still be around, we have the following group:

Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Jurco, Emmerton, Helm, Abby, Brunner, Sheahan, McKee (still hope he moves to LW), Gauthier, McCarron, Hayden, and Yakimov. That is a very good and balanced group. Speed, skill, size, toughness, RH and LH shooters. If we are talking 2018/19 time frame only Abby, Helm, and Brunner would be over 30, so youth would be on our side. This of course doesn't include any future drafts, trades or FA signings. This is a nice group of forwards to build off of and develop a long term plan around. Will all of these guys make it? No. Some will get hurt, other flame out, some may be traded or leave via FA.

Next up: the blind luck part of the draft, rounds 5-7.

Guest Johnz96

I am trying. Sometimes it is hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by turkeys! LOL I kid I kid.

before we got side tracked, I was talking about this years draft and who I think we should take and why those picks make sense for us to take them. 1. They will be available. 2. These guys match up to our teams weaknesses. That is/was my point. Now people are free to disagree, that is fine. if someone really likes another player, great! More power to you. We all have our own opinions. But for some to come out and say certian things, that are completely false is a little hard to take. In this day and age EVERY team in every sport is trying to build through the draft. Every team drafts guys in the 1st round with the intention of building around them. That is the whole point of the draft. No every first round pick does not turn into a star. About 8 per year do, with another 8-10 that merely become solid NHL players. That of course leaves another 8-10 that don't make it at all for one reason or another. Most of the time being injury.

Now does size matter? yes it does. To be specific, height matters. it is becoming harder and harder for guys under 6ft tall to succeed in the NHL. The human race as a whole continues to grow and so do hockey players. of the top 50 in points this year, only 10 (20%) where under 6ft tall. 7 of those 10 were 5-11. That means 6% of the of the top 50 were 5-10 or less, which is Domis height (5-9). As I said before very cleary, yes he can make it. But the odds are against him. We have much better odds with other guys. That was my point before all the extra got added in.

Actually 11 of the top 50 are under 6'0"

St. Louis, Crosby, Kane, Datsyuk Giroux, Zetterberg, Duchene, Parise, Gagner, Eberle, Marchand,

25 were over 6'O"

14 were 6'0". The most common height, we need to look for someone who will be 6'0". Domi is actually listed at 5'10 but is growing, he just might make it.

Edited by Johnz96

You call me a fool and then list Boedker as someone you'd build a team around? Really?

You build teams around franchise players/legit stars, not ladislav smid lol. Of your list I count about 26 stars. So on average about a little over 2 each year. Nice try though.

Guest Johnz96

Now before I do rounds 5-7, which to be honest are a 100% crap shoot, let's stop and look at where the W would be with the draft I have laid out. My dream mock draft is: Gauthier, McCarron, Hayden, and Yakimov. Looking down the road a couple of years and adding these 4 to our current prospects that I feel are most likely to make, and vets most likely to still be around, we have the following group:

Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Jurco, Emmerton, Helm, Abby, Brunner, Sheahan, McKee (still hope he moves to LW), Gauthier, McCarron, Hayden, and Yakimov. That is a very good and balanced group. Speed, skill, size, toughness, RH and LH shooters. If we are talking 2018/19 time frame only Abby, Helm, and Brunner would be over 30, so youth would be on our side. This of course doesn't include any future drafts, trades or FA signings. This is a nice group of forwards to build off of and develop a long term plan around. Will all of these guys make it? No. Some will get hurt, other flame out, some may be traded or leave via FA.

Next up: the blind luck part of the draft, rounds 5-7.

It's all blind luck for those of us that don't watch a lot of their games, don't interview them, their teammates, family and coaches, don't have privy to their fitness tests but not for scouts who get paid to do all that.

You call me a fool and then list Boedker as someone you'd build a team around? Really?

You build teams around franchise players/legit stars, not ladislav smid lol. Of your list I count about 26 stars. So on average about a little over 2 each year. Nice try though.

Lol, the only one he listed for the 2000 draft that you could arguably make that claim for is Kronwall who was 5'11 180lbs at the time.

Klesla, Boyes Orpik. :lol:

It's all blind luck for those of us that don't watch a lot of their games, don't interview them, their teammates, family and coaches, don't have privy to their fitness tests but not for scouts who get paid to do all that.

Lol, the only one he listed for the 2000 draft that you could arguably make that claim for is Kronwall who was 5'11 180lbs at the time.

Klesla, Boyes Orpik. :lol:

Yeah I wouldn't call kronwall a build around player either

Guest Johnz96

I was kinda being a homer there. ;)

Guest The Axe

You dont like Kronner?