• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Detroit: Circa June 2018...

Rate this topic

Ok back. Was way to busy over the weekend. Now time to look at the hope and pray part of the draft, rounds 5-7. Normally you are lucky to find AHL quality players in these late rounds. Most teams tend to look for 1 thing: size or speed that a guy has and take a gamble. Again, this is a deep draft. There will be some future NHLers taken in the later rounds.

Before I add some new names to the pot, there are a couple guys already mentioned that could slide into the 5th round.

Buckles and Hill. Buckles 6-2/210 RH C has been every where in mock drafts. From the 3rd round through the 6th round. he has size, speed, and is a producer, but he has been playing at a lower level to preserve his eligability for college. if he is available in the 5th, this would be a true steal.

Tyler Hill 6-6/225 LH LW. before the seaason there was a ton of buzz about this kid. Then he had a "disappointing" USHL season. Now CS has him in the 180's of NA skaters. Another kid that if drafted in the 5th or later rounds could be a steal. But he is also a guy that never signs.

Now for some new names:

Saku Maenalenen 6-3/185 LW

Jorgen Karterud 6-4/190 LW

Jake Montgomery 6-3/195 LW

Mitchell Dempsey 6-3/210 LW

Williem Haag 6-1/200 RW

Sergei Kuptsov 6-2/212 RW

Viktor Crus-Rydberg 6-0/190 C

Jordan malette 6-2/200 C

Maxim Mamin 6-1/185 C

Jonathon Ismael Diaby 6-5/225 D

Parker Reno 6-2/195 D

Tyler Stanton 6-3/175 D

Alexei Bereglozov 6-4/190 D

Anton Cederholm 6-2/205 D

Marcus Hogberg G

Antoine Bibeau 6-1/210 G

Most of these guys have good talent. But all have a question mark. For the Russians much of it is "will they come over". Others it is foot speed, or work ethic. But that is the name of the game at this point of the draft.

Guest The Axe

Is that what I said? Or can you not read?

Well, we DID build our defense around him...

Well, we DID build our defense around him...

yeah and Edmonton built there's around Justin Schultz... but that doesn't make him a foundational player. Just means they don't have one at defense.

Edited by number9

yeah and Edmonton built there's around Justin Schultz... but that doesn't make him a foundational player. Just means they don't have one at defense.

I think by definition that makes them foundation's of a defense, which was axe's point.

I think by definition that makes them foundation's of a defense, which was axe's point.

Good lord. A player you build a team around is a #1 guy, not a #3 caliber guy who happens to be playing the #1 spot because there's no one ahead of him. I understand your points but its irrelevant to the original argument.

Edited by number9

Guest Johnz96

Good lord. A player you build a team around is a #1 guy, not a #3 caliber guy who happens to be playing the #1 spot because there's no one ahead of him. I understand your points but its irrelevant to the original argument.

Kronwall is one of the 10 best d-men in the league but I still woiuldn't say he is someone to build a team around.

You build around what you HAVE, not what you wish you had. We can all argue until we are blue in the face if player X is a true #1 D or a top C etc..... But that really don't matter, because there is only so many of those type of players around. Everyone would love to have Weber to build their blue line around, or a Nicky, but again, there is only one Weber and was only one Nick. A number 1 D on one team might only be a number 3 on another team. But that doesn't change the fact that you build around them. Then when someone better develops, you change and build around them.

You build around what you HAVE, not what you wish you had. We can all argue until we are blue in the face if player X is a true #1 D or a top C etc..... But that really don't matter, because there is only so many of those type of players around. Everyone would love to have Weber to build their blue line around, or a Nicky, but again, there is only one Weber and was only one Nick. A number 1 D on one team might only be a number 3 on another team. But that doesn't change the fact that you build around them. Then when someone better develops, you change and build around them.

I don't think we're building around Kronwall at all. We're building a pretty balanced D right now. Nicky is the kind of guy you build AROUND

Guest Johnz96

Ok back. Was way to busy over the weekend. Now time to look at the hope and pray part of the draft, rounds 5-7. Normally you are lucky to find AHL quality players in these late rounds. Most teams tend to look for 1 thing: size or speed that a guy has and take a gamble. Again, this is a deep draft. There will be some future NHLers taken in the later rounds.

Before I add some new names to the pot, there are a couple guys already mentioned that could slide into the 5th round.

Buckles and Hill. Buckles 6-2/210 RH C has been every where in mock drafts. From the 3rd round through the 6th round. he has size, speed, and is a producer, but he has been playing at a lower level to preserve his eligability for college. if he is available in the 5th, this would be a true steal.

Tyler Hill 6-6/225 LH LW. before the seaason there was a ton of buzz about this kid. Then he had a "disappointing" USHL season. Now CS has him in the 180's of NA skaters. Another kid that if drafted in the 5th or later rounds could be a steal. But he is also a guy that never signs.

Now for some new names:

Saku Maenalenen 6-3/185 LW

Jorgen Karterud 6-4/190 LW

Jake Montgomery 6-3/195 LW

Mitchell Dempsey 6-3/210 LW

Williem Haag 6-1/200 RW

Sergei Kuptsov 6-2/212 RW

Viktor Crus-Rydberg 6-0/190 C

Jordan malette 6-2/200 C

Maxim Mamin 6-1/185 C

Jonathon Ismael Diaby 6-5/225 D

Parker Reno 6-2/195 D

Tyler Stanton 6-3/175 D

Alexei Bereglozov 6-4/190 D

Anton Cederholm 6-2/205 D

Marcus Hogberg G

Antoine Bibeau 6-1/210 G

Most of these guys have good talent. But all have a question mark. For the Russians much of it is "will they come over". Others it is foot speed, or work ethic. But that is the name of the game at this point of the draft.

The Wings don't even need scouts just a tape measure and a scale.

Mantha is who I would take, but I don't think Holland will draft him. I would love to be proven wrong Kenny!

I'm on the Mantha bandwagon until he goes earlier than 18. We'll see though.

Max Domi looks like a really good player, but doesn't help our size issue. Time to get a power forward in the 1st round.

Guest Johnz96

I'm on the Mantha bandwagon until he goes earlier than 18. We'll see though.

Max Domi looks like a really good player, but doesn't help our size issue. Time to get a power forward in the 1st round.

He is stronger, tougher and more physical than most of the taller guys mentioned

He's a goal scorer...something we need badly...but a 6'7 defenseman who can skate, fight and hit would be nice also

Plus it will be interesting to see if the Wings take a goalie later in the draft.I don't think they will. I would draft mainly forwards with a project or 2 later

Edited by RedWingCraig

He's a goal scorer...something we need badly...but a 6'7 defenseman who can skate, fight and hit would be nice also

Plus it will be interesting to see if the Wings take a goalie later in the draft.I don't think they will. I would draft mainly forwards with a project or 2 later

Don't need a Dman. We are loaded with blueline prospects.

BTW I would change the thread title to daft day thread if I knew how..... Mods feel free to do so.

Don't need a Dman. We are loaded with blueline prospects.

BTW I would change the thread title to daft day thread if I knew how..... Mods feel free to do

Morin would be a welcomed addition...anyone we draft isn't gonna be ready for a few years and who knows what the defense will look like then...but Mantha is my first choice

Guest The Axe

Mantha is worth the pick. He's got moxy. We need that. Brunner, Smith, and Tatar have that moxy too. Cockiness is not what we want, but Datsyuk and Z taper those young guys' cockiness and turn it into moxy. Then we are exciting to watch.

I may be the only one but I hope we trade down again. This draft is very deep. It's easy to read up on the top 30 player profiles and get excited about those guys.

Id like to see something bold. Something along the lines of trading the 18th overall pick for San Jose's' three 2nd round picks. Throw in spare parts on either side to make it work.

Would give us 3 picks in a row in the top 50 at 48,49, 50 as well as another at 58.

But that's me....

Edited by Son of a Wing

I may be the only one but I hope we trade down again. This draft is very deep. It's easy to read up on the top 30 player profiles and get excited about those guys.

Id like to see something bold. Something along the lines of trading the 18th overall pick for Dallas' three 2nd round picks. Throw in spare parts on either side to make it work.

Would give us 3 picks in a row in the top 50 at 48,49, 50 as well as another at 58.

But that's me....

I would love that idea, but I doubt Nill would go for that seeing how he values middle round picks. Maybe Flip, Tootoo, and our 1st???