• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ok, the second round. The perfect choice for the Red Wings is of course, Mike McCarron. He is 6-5/227 shoots RHed and from Detroit. He fits all needs. But what happens if some other team grabs him? As much as roiting in the streets appeals to me, we need to have other names. That brings us to the players. Of course, if any of the above names from the first round fall, take em! Justin Bailey is a good possibility. By most draft experts/mock drafts, he is going to go very late in the 1st or first half of the second round. Another tall forward, that shoots RHed, is fast, and puts the puck in the net.

Another good option is: John Hayden. Big 6-3/210, RHed shot, 2 way C. Would be a great 2nd line C to pair with Mantha, who C's the first line.

Jason Dickinson 6-2/180 LW/C would be a good opion. Yes he is LHed. But he is another fast scoring forward.

Edited by Richdg, 24 April 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#22 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Here are some Dickinson highlghts:

#23 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Now starts the challenge. In most drafts everything after the first 2 rounds becomes a crap shot at best. But not this year. The strength of this draft is its depth. There are enough players that normally go late 1st and the second round, to fill 2 more rounds. Teams will be able to find top 4 Dmen and 20+ goal scorers through the 4th round. Any combination of the names listed for the first 2 rounds, will produce a very good draft. All are quality players that fit our needs to a tee. But if we draft smartly in the 3rd and 4th rounds, this could be a special draft.

So lets talk the 3rd round. Looking once again for big fast scoring forwards. Here are some names I like:

Adam Tambellini 6-4/180 LW/C

Hudson Fasching 6-2/215 RW

Nicholas Baptiste 6-2/200 RW

Bogdan Yakimov 6-5/210 C

Nick Moutrey 6-2/210 LW/C

Ryan Kujawinski 6-2/205 LW/C

Myles Bell 6-0/210 RW

Some of these guys are risers and others are falling. All have talent and 1 or 2 questions about them.

Tambellini highlights:

#24 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Kujawinski highlights:

Ringing the Bell:

#25 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Ok, the second round. The perfect choice for the Red Wings is of course, Mike McCarron. He is 6-5/227 shoots RHed and from Detroit. He fits all needs. But what happens if some other team grabs him? As much as roiting in the streets appeals to me, we need to have other names. That brings us to the players. Of course, if any of the above names from the first round fall, take em! Justin Bailey is a good possibility. By most draft experts/mock drafts, he is going to go very late in the 1st or first half of the second round. Another tall forward, that shoots RHed, is fast, and puts the puck in the net.

Another good option is: John Hayden. Big 6-3/210, RHed shot, 2 way C. Would be a great 2nd line C to pair with Mantha, who C's the first line.

Jason Dickinson 6-2/180 LW/C would be a good opion. Yes he is LHed. But he is another fast scoring forward.

Got any further info on McCarron? I haven't been able to find a scouting report/talent analysis, or even a highlight reel. I see he ended up 35th among NA skaters in the CSS final rankings, but that doesn't give any real notion of how he stacks up against the Euros. The only current combined ranking I can find is from Craig Button, and he doesn't have him in his top 75. Mackenzie had him 49th in January, but offered no other info.

Either way, I think it'll be hard to go wrong in this draft. Our only real need is future star power (which we probably won't have a shot at any of the "can't miss" guys), so we're basically just adding depth to an already strong pool.

#26 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Not a fan of Domi, and it has nothing to do with his dad. How is he different from the other forwards that we have? Nyquist, tatar, Jarnkrok, etc..... he is a small play making good shooting F. We have a ton of those guys.
As for Rychel, I see him and think a young Dan Cleary. He is an effort guy no doubt.

I don't agree with your take on Domi, but you have been spot on, imo, with everything else. Domi is a scorer, tho undersized is scrappy. I think Marchand is a nice comparison for Domi.

I was actually thinking who Rychel would compare to, and props to you sir that is absolutely a perfect example. I don't think Kerby Rychel would be a terrible choice, lest we forget Cleary was pretty good in his prime for us. However I like Zykov if Mantha and Gauthier are gone. It may be a stretch in the mid 1st but he won't be there in the second round when we pick. He is a diamond in the rough imo.

Edited by MasterPavel, 25 April 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#27 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Got any further info on McCarron? I haven't been able to find a scouting report/talent analysis, or even a highlight reel. I see he ended up 35th among NA skaters in the CSS final rankings, but that doesn't give any real notion of how he stacks up against the Euros. The only current combined ranking I can find is from Craig Button, and he doesn't have him in his top 75. Mackenzie had him 49th in January, but offered no other info.

Either way, I think it'll be hard to go wrong in this draft. Our only real need is future star power (which we probably won't have a shot at any of the "can't miss" guys), so we're basically just adding depth to an already strong pool.

Yes here is some info on him:

http://thehockeywrit...-round-2-31-60/

That site has him 55th overall.

http://www.draftsite...mccarron/19555/

The second link gives a profile and scouting report for him.

Yes, finding highlights for the team USA U-18 players is kind a tough. Not sure why, just isn't mch out there interms of highlight tapes. A few fights,or film of them scoring in a specific game is about all. 

#28 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I don't agree with your take on Domi, but you have been spot on, imo, with everything else. Domi is a scorer, tho undersized is scrappy. I think Marchand is a nice comparison for Domi.

I was actually thinking who Rychel would compare to, and props to you sir that is absolutely a perfect example. I don't think Kerby Rychel would be a terrible choice, lest we forget Cleary was pretty good in his prime for us. However I like Zykov if Mantha and Gauthier are gone. It may be a stretch in the mid 1st but he won't be there in the second round when we pick. He is a diamond in the rough imo.

Cleary and Rychel are almost twins in many aspects. Highly rated coming out, will be drafted high, and be 50 point guys in their best years. No that isn't terrible. But that isn't what we need. We need potential supers. 40 goal per year guys. Now if Rychel falls and we take him in the 3rd round, that would be a good pick. In most years, your top 2 rounds should be top 2 line guys. After that you hope for a surprise but mainly are picking up bottom 2 line guys. This year is deep and you will be able to find top 2 line guys in the 3/4th rounds.

some more opinions on McCarron and fasching.

http://www.thescouti...prospect-recap/

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

As deep as this year's draft is, I'm having a really hard time trying to determine why White, and to a lesser extent Filppula, weren't traded.  I realize with Flip it was a "just in case" we make the playoffs thing, but man wouldn't it have been nice to land another first rounder?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Now for the 4th round. Still lots of talent left, but now most of it is at LW. But not all. Here is the list of guys I like:

Matt Buckles 6-2/210 C RHed, OJHL player of the year, college bound, plays like Dustin Brown.

Zach Glienke 6-3/200 LW college bound

Zach Sanford 6-3/190 LW college bound

Stephan Harper 6-2/200 LW

Scott Oke 6-3/205 LW

junior HS tape of Sanford

#31 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Preview on Buckles

http://ojhl.pointstr...s-21/news_70171

#32 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Rich if your posts weren't so long and jumbled I might actually read them. lol

Some of the big guys I like:

Nichushkin 6'4 196 W
Zadorov 6'5 230 D
Nurse 6'3 190 D
Ristolainen 6'3 203 D
Mantha 6'4 190 W
Gauthier 6'5 210 C
Kujawinski 6'2 203 C
Hagg 6'2 204 D
Santini 6'2 207 D
Morin 6'7 200 D
McCarron 6'5 227 W
Bailey 6'3 194 W
Fasching 6'2 213 W
Hayden 6'2 220 C
McCoshen 6'2 207 D

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we could snag two of those guys. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#33 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

review on Harper

http://thehockeywrit...ospect-profile/

#34 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

5th round and later. Lots of long term prospects left over. Some of the more interesting ones to me are:

Tyler Hill 6-6/225 LW

Axel Blomqvist 6-6/215 LW

Peter Cehlarik 6-2/195 LW

Dwyer Tshantz 6-5/215 RW

Nick Betz 6-5/210 RW

Tomas Torok 6-2/200 LW

Cehlarik highlights

#35 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

As deep as this year's draft is, I'm having a really hard time trying to determine why White, and to a lesser extent Filppula, weren't traded.  I realize with Flip it was a "just in case" we make the playoffs thing, but man wouldn't it have been nice to land another first rounder?

I agree. No one screamed louder about moving some guys for more picks. Heck an extra 2nd and 3rd would be awesome!

#36 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

(the voice of Gary Thorn)

Welcome to downtown Detroit for game 1 of the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals. The first of many in new Little Ceasers arena. This finals features the Western Conference champs Anahiem Ducks and the Eastern Conference champions Detroit Red Wings. now for the introductions.

For the anahiem ducks....who cares......

Now for the Detroit Red Wings. Starting at LW, the season hits leader and penaty minutes leader, coming in at 6-5/235 pounds: Mike-The Left Bower-Mckee! At center, the regular season goal scoring leader measuring in at 6-3/210 pounds: Anthony-Crimson Death-Mantha! At RW, season totals of 25 goals and 150 penalty minutes, tilting the scales at 235, standing 6-5: Mike-The Right Bower-McCarron! At right defense, the current Norris Trophy winner, coming in at 6-4/215 pounds: Ryan-The Sniper-Sproul! On the Left D, The Captain. Standing in at 6-3/215: Danny-The Flying Dutchman-DeKeyser! In the crease, the grumpy old man. The league MVP: Jimmy Howard!

Back to the present. Let the draft games begin! Some thoughts.

1. Of the lineup I just mentioned for the future, we already have 2/3's of it. Just need Mantha and McCarron in this years draft.

2. If we make the playoffs or not, we will most likely be picking bewtween 12th and 16th. Baring a major change between now and next weekend.

3. Most of the many many draft links have Mantha going between 12th and 22nd. Right were we will be picking. We need big tall goal scorers. Mantha is that player. he is 6-3/180ish, shoots lefthanded, and scored 50 goals this season as a leftwing.

4. We strongly need to add RHed shooters and size. McCarron is currently 6-5/227, RHed, and is from Detroit. Most of the sites have him going between 40 and 55. In other words, where we pick in the second round.maybe the 3rd, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Big American Forwards that can skate, score, and play physical go fast. Grabbing McCarron in the second might be more important than Mantha in the first. There are a few other options in the first that also fit the bill. but not so much in the second.

5. This is a deep draft. Lots of potential 20+ gola scoring power forwards available. The key to how good our draft is, may very well be the 3rd and 4th rounds. Who we get in these 2 rounds will be the deciding factor between a good draft and a great draft.

More thoughts and ideas for the draft later.

Hmmm, I wonder if we're speaking about the same guy. My girlfriend is friends with his sister. It finally dawned on me today that you were talking about her brother. Didn't he get drafted by the Oilers? I swear she said that he did. He played for the U18 USA team?

*EDIT* Nevermind nevermind nevermind. We're speaking of the same family. I was talking about John McCarron. I just asked my girlfriend and she said Mike is one of the other brothers.

Edited by evilzyme, 26 April 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

The only thing I've come up with is "depth." Which isn't entirely unreasonable, I guess. I mean, what if we lose one or two of our normal rotationers (it's a word. I just invented it. Shut up) to injury? I'd feel OK with White stepping in, disappointing though he's been, and draft pick though he could've fetched.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Rich if your posts weren't so long and jumbled I might actually read them. lol

Some of the big guys I like:

Nichushkin 6'4 196 W
Zadorov 6'5 230 D
Nurse 6'3 190 D
Ristolainen 6'3 203 D
Mantha 6'4 190 W
Gauthier 6'5 210 C
Kujawinski 6'2 203 C
Hagg 6'2 204 D
Santini 6'2 207 D
Morin 6'7 200 D
McCarron 6'5 227 W
Bailey 6'3 194 W
Fasching 6'2 213 W
Hayden 6'2 220 C
McCoshen 6'2 207 D

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we could snag two of those guys. 

I think Hagg could be the future shutdown defender we need

#39 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm not a Hagg fan at all, and definitely don't think we need another young defender. We need offensive production since we have aging stars.

#40 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

If I counted correctly, if the draft was today, we are picking 17th. so 17th in the first round, 47th in the second round, 77th in the 3rd round, 107th in the 4th round, and 137th in the 5th round. All of which fit the players I listed almost to a tee.

Now if the draft was today, i would pick:

1. mantha

2. McCarron

3. Bell

4. Buckles

5. Hill

Think of some possible line combos if they all work out:

McKee-Mantha-tatar

Nyquist-Buckles-McCarron

Hill-Jarnkrok-Bell

Sheahan-Andersson-Abdelkader

Jurco and Trvdon as the 13th/14th forwards

Now, if Holland was ever going to do something basd on my suggestions, it would be now. Pick up and extra pick between our 1st and 2nd pick. use that pick on Bailey. If that was to happen, now look at our potentail lines:

McKee-Mantha-Jarnkrok

Nyquist-Bailey-McCarron

Hill-Buckles-Bell

Sheahan-Andersson-Abdelkader

Jurco and Trvdon

That is a very nice deep forward group. of course, we still have free agency, trades, and 4 drafts after this year before the 17/18 season gets here. But you have 4 LHed shots at LH, 2 RH and 2 LH at C, and 3 of the 4 at RW are RHed. 11 are 6-1 or taller, and there is a ton of skill.