• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#41 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

I really like Mantha, and think he would be an absolute steal at the 12-20 range.

It seems like fans on every team think he will be their teams steal.
I don't know much about him but perhaps be is a bit underrated.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#42 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

It seems like fans on every team think he will be their teams steal.
I don't know much about him but perhaps be is a bit underrated.

In a normal draft he would be a top 5 pick. He has flown under the radar, and think that he will probably be gone before 17-20. unless there is a run on defenseman.

#43 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Ok, the first 14 spots are now locked in. Colorado with the 1st. In about 10 days we will get the next 8 picks-through 22. Will we be in there?

#44 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Last night once again showed we need to add size, skill, and grit to our foward core. We got knocked down all game, had 0 threats after the first line, and in general are far to easy to play against. On the plus side, the D played well overall. 0-0 game at even strength.

#45 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

With Jensen now signed, there is no need for drafting any Dmen in this draft. We don't have any room for them!

RW: Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Smith, Lashoff, Q, Cola, and Kindl.

Griffins: Nicastro, Jensen, Sproul, Oullet, big Ned, Almqvist, and Evens for depth.

Unsigned Dmen we control: Backman, merchenko, De Haas. I am sure i am forgeting someone. (I still consider McKee a LW-at least that is my hope)

Edited by Richdg, 02 May 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#46 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

With Jensen now signed, there is no need for drafting any Dmen in this draft. We don't have any room for them!

RW: Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Smith, Lashoff, Q, Cola, and Kindl.

Griffins: Nicastro, Jensen, Sproul, Oullet, big Ned, Almqvist, and Evens for depth.

Unsigned Dmen we control: Backman, merchenko, De Haas. I am sure i am forgeting someone. (I still consider McKee a LW-at least that is my hope)

I'd have to disagree with that. You can never have too much depth, and it's never too soon to start drafting the next wave. Furthermore, I'd say a top-pair 2-way defenseman is just as much of a need as a goal scorer or power forward. Sproul is the only one who seems to have that potential, and I wouldn't say that it's particularly likely that he'll get there.

If someone like Pulock is available, we'd have to consider it. Depending on who else is available, he could easily be our best option.

I would expect to see us take a couple defensemen this year.

#47 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'd have to disagree with that. You can never have too much depth, and it's never too soon to start drafting the next wave. Furthermore, I'd say a top-pair 2-way defenseman is just as much of a need as a goal scorer or power forward. Sproul is the only one who seems to have that potential, and I wouldn't say that it's particularly likely that he'll get there.

If someone like Pulock is available, we'd have to consider it. Depending on who else is available, he could easily be our best option.

I would expect to see us take a couple defensemen this year.

Yes you always need depth. But that can also wait a year. No Dman that we draft this year would be ready for a couple of years anyway, and the Forward corp will only be getting worse. if datsyuk leaves, well i hope not... yikes!

#48 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Yes you always need depth. But that can also wait a year. No Dman that we draft this year would be ready for a couple of years anyway, and the Forward corp will only be getting worse. if datsyuk leaves, well i hope not... yikes!

But the same is true for forwards.

Like I said, it depends on who's available. The top 5 seems pretty well established with Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, and Barkov in some order. Then Nurse, Ristolainen, Monahan, and Lindholm seem unlikely to fall far enough for us. Everyone else could potentially be available, or could go in the top 10.

Gauthier and Mantha would be my top choices, and maybe Zykov, and if Monahan were to fall some I'd make a bid to trade up (Phoenix at 12th would be concievable, though I doubt he'd fall that far), but if they're not available and were choosing between Pulock, Domi, and Wennberg then I'm taking Pulock. If Pulock's not there either, I'd probably look to trade down, hopefully pick up someone like Rychel plus and extra 2nd-rounder.

#49 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

But the same is true for forwards.

Like I said, it depends on who's available. The top 5 seems pretty well established with Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, and Barkov in some order. Then Nurse, Ristolainen, Monahan, and Lindholm seem unlikely to fall far enough for us. Everyone else could potentially be available, or could go in the top 10.

Gauthier and Mantha would be my top choices, and maybe Zykov, and if Monahan were to fall some I'd make a bid to trade up (Phoenix at 12th would be concievable, though I doubt he'd fall that far), but if they're not available and were choosing between Pulock, Domi, and Wennberg then I'm taking Pulock. If Pulock's not there either, I'd probably look to trade down, hopefully pick up someone like Rychel plus and extra 2nd-rounder.

Nichushkin could fall-Russian and lready signed a 3 year extention in Russia. yes I understand the value thing, but there is plenty of value in this draft without taking a blueliner.

#50 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I really think/hope our first round pick this year will be a future top 6 forward for us.

I still wouldn't be opposed to a big trade that lands us the #1 pick so we can get Seth Jones. We don't really have the assets for that unless we give up multiple players. I think Seth Jones will be the top defensemen for the next generation. (Like a Lidstrom-type guy, but he obviously wont reach Lidstrom's level)

Our pick will probably be too high unless we get past another round or two, but I really like how Ryan Hartman plays. He seems to always work his ass off like Helm

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#51 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Nichushkin could fall-Russian and lready signed a 3 year extention in Russia. yes I understand the value thing, but there is plenty of value in this draft without taking a blueliner.

You seem to be the Junior hockey guru around here... can you give me an assessment of a few of the players in this draft?:

Anthony Mantha is someone who I'm really curious about because everyone seems to talk about him. Judging by his highlights, he seems like a sniper, which we need. That coupled with his size makes me think his playing style is molded after Alex Ovechkin. Is that an accurate assessment?

I'm also curious about Zykov, Rychel and Gauthier, but I don't know much about them. They are just ranked right around where Detroit will be picking, so I want to know a little more about them.

Max Domi interests me a lot because he seems to have loads of skill along with a mean streak. A nasty guy with skill is likely exactly what we need to protect all of our undersized prospects

If you could give me a brief analysis of some or all of these guys, I would really appreciate it.

Also, who do you think Kenny will go for? I know a lot of his picks are somewhat out of left field and sometimes they are high risk-high reward prospects

Edited by wingsfan4795, 05 May 2013 - 07:13 PM.

-Buppy

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Forwards I want Detroit to draft: Mantha, McCarron, Rychel, Fasching, Zykov, Gauthier...not in that order, but any combo of these guys in the 1st and 2nd round.

Defenders not named Jones: Poluck, Santini, Bowey...please no Haag or Ristolainen...

If they could somehow land BOTH Poluck and Santini I would be happy! I know our D prospects are filling up, but these guys are the real deal and are both right handed.  This could allow us to move a couple D prospects in a deal for a legit #1 guy or a Super scorer...

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 May 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#53 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Forwards I want Detroit to draft: Mantha, McCarron, Rychel, Fasching, Zykov, Gauthier...not in that order, but any combo of these guys in the 1st and 2nd round.

Defenders not named Jones: Poluck, Santini, Bowey...please no Haag or Ristolainen...

If they could somehow land BOTH Poluck and Santini I would be happy! I know our D prospects are filling up, but these guys are the real deal and are both right handed.  This could allow us to move a couple D prospects in a deal for a legit #1 guy or a Super scorer...

I don't think getting defensemen should be a priority this year, especially with all the uncertainty surrounding Datsyuk.

If we did get some solid defensemen in the draft, I guess we could trade some of our D prospects. Smith could probably draw in either a solid prospect or an established 3rd liner (2nd liner if Holland pulls off some magic)

-Buppy

#54 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

You seem to be the Junior hockey guru around here... can you give me an assessment of a few of the players in this draft?:

Anthony Mantha is someone who I'm really curious about because everyone seems to talk about him. Judging by his highlights, he seems like a sniper, which we need. That coupled with his size makes me think his playing style is molded after Alex Ovechkin. Is that an accurate assessment?

I'm also curious about Zykov, Rychel and Gauthier, but I don't know much about them. They are just ranked right around where Detroit will be picking, so I want to know a little more about them.

Max Domi interests me a lot because he seems to have loads of skill along with a mean streak. A nasty guy with skill is likely exactly what we need to protect all of our undersized prospects

If you could give me a brief analysis of some or all of these guys, I would really appreciate it.

Also, who do you think Kenny will go for? I know a lot of his picks are somewhat out of left field and sometimes they are high risk-high reward prospects

Not a guru by any stretch, just done a lot of reading and research.

Max Domi. he is not his father. he is 5-9/180 and a skilled forwarded, not a block head like his dad. Other than he has an edge he is no different than guys like Nyquist, tatar, helm, jarnkrok etc.... small and skilled.

Rychel is a success becasue he works hard. At his best he is dan Cleary at 28/29. Works hard, plays both ways, will get you 20 goals a year. he isn't very big 6-0/200, nor fast. In the second or third round he makes sense, not as a first rounder. if he is taken in the 1st round-and he will be, he will be considered a bust by most in 5 years. There is just nothing special about him, other than his work ethic.

The rest already have a bunch of info posted about them in this thread, scroll up and read/enjoy. Highlights as well.

mantha to me is the best pick for us, if he is there, in the 1st. Size, speed, skill, and puts the puck in the net. is he perfect? no. other than the top 3-5 every year, everyone has 1 or 2 questions about them. But who amoung us didn't at 18?

#55 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Not a guru by any stretch, just done a lot of reading and research.
Max Domi. he is not his father. he is 5-9/180 and a skilled forwarded, not a block head like his dad. Other than he has an edge he is no different than guys like Nyquist, tatar, helm, jarnkrok etc.... small and skilled.

Rychel is a success becasue he works hard. At his best he is dan Cleary at 28/29. Works hard, plays both ways, will get you 20 goals a year. he isn't very big 6-0/200, nor fast. In the second or third round he makes sense, not as a first rounder. if he is taken in the 1st round-and he will be, he will be considered a bust by most in 5 years. There is just nothing special about him, other than his work ethic.

The rest already have a bunch of info posted about them in this thread, scroll up and read/enjoy. Highlights as well.

mantha to me is the best pick for us, if he is there, in the 1st. Size, speed, skill, and puts the puck in the net. is he perfect? no. other than the top 3-5 every year, everyone has 1 or 2 questions about them. But who amoung us didn't at 18?

I know he's small, but I've seen some video of max domi and he seems to have a little of his dad's fire. He must be a pain to play against.
I heard that people question mantha's consistency.

Who do you see Kenny picking? Mantha seems like someone Kenny would pick, but I could also see him picking the fastest available player. Thoughts?

-Buppy

#56 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

De la rose looks big, fast, physical and loves to have the puck. Those highlights also showed some incredible passes. You can't have too many guys like him on your team.
Bailey looks a little slower, but looks like he has more of a finishing ability. I dont know if he uses his size, but if he does he would be a great asset

-Buppy

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I can see Holland taking Zykov... and of the Europeans available this guy is someone I wouldn't mind seeing here.

http://www.hockeysfu...valentin-zykov/

Don't get me wrong, I would still love Mantha here or even Santini or Pulock.  But if Holland picked Zykov, I wouldn't be too upset...

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 May 2013 - 10:07 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#58 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

I know he's small, but I've seen some video of max domi and he seems to have a little of his dad's fire. He must be a pain to play against.
I heard that people question mantha's consistency.

Who do you see Kenny picking? Mantha seems like someone Kenny would pick, but I could also see him picking the fastest available player. Thoughts?

Still to early to tell. A lot can/will happen between now and the draft. What UFA/RFA get resigned? Are there any trades? Is there a hawken Anderson special we don't know about yet? How much did Nill factor into the draft? How about his replacement? all of that being said, if i was to guess.... I would say 1 of the following 5: Pulock, Mantha, Wannberg, De la Rose, or Horvat. Now all are rated pretty close. Horvat, Wannberg, and de la Rose are more 2 way complete players, but lack the high end scoring potential. Pulock of course is a very good Dman and mantha is a goal scorer.  

One more thing on Mantha. he is the oldest player in the draft. He missed by 1 day. He is nearly a full year older than a lot of these guys, and will be ready 1 year sooner.

De la rose looks big, fast, physical and loves to have the puck. Those highlights also showed some incredible passes. You can't have too many guys like him on your team.
Bailey looks a little slower, but looks like he has more of a finishing ability. I dont know if he uses his size, but if he does he would be a great asset

That is why bailey is most likely a high second rounder. The difference between him and Mantha is yes their speed. Mantha has great speed vs Bailey has good speed. bailey is almost a year younger and it shows. 1 more year in junior and we may be talking about him scoring 50 goals.

he uses his size mainly to protect the puck. yes he checks, but he is closer to Perry minus the fights. In 3 years he will be in the 210 range and could be the same type of offensive player Perry is.

#59 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

My wishlist in order would be: Mantha, Gauthier, Zykov. If all three are gone then a trade down or Domi. I have a fear that Lehkonen will be the pick. Maybe it's just my cynical side telling me we will take another small euro.

#60 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

My wishlist in order would be: Mantha, Gauthier, Zykov. If all three are gone then a trade down or Domi. I have a fear that Lehkonen will be the pick. Maybe it's just my cynical side telling me we will take another small euro.

I understand the fear thing. Everytime we seem to be set to take a player with size and skill, we seem to pass. Now that in fact is false, but it just feels that way.....