• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#61 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

I was watching the ohl finals (mostly watching Jake Patterson and Andreas athanasiou) and Bo Horvat scored a great shorthanded goal. The announcers were saying he'll be a steal in the mid 1st round. Does anyone know anything about this kid?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#62 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think too many people are using our current prospect pool to judge drafting priorities. When you are drafting 27th -30th (if at all in the first round) or mid 2nd round, you are generally better off drafting skill with a high compete level, as the skilled big guys have mostly gone.  But looking over the last few drafts

Mckee, de Haas, Bodin, Jurco, Oullett, Sproul, Tvrdon, Backman, Nedomlel, Marchenko, Sheahan, Aubry, Nestrasil are still in the system with good size. Of them only, Sheahan & Jurco look like good bets for the big team in terms of forwards, but our defence is the biggest its been in a while with big guys coming through. There seems to have been a greater focus on big guys who can skate over the last 3 years, and given the current wings roster and prospects beyond the potential home-run big guys, I actually think we are just as much in need of medium size guys who can play. If Sheahan & Jurco (and maybe Ferraro) can come up in the coming seasons, size and speed will be less of an issue (assuming helm returns), but with the big question mark over Dats, Zetterberg struggling to play a whole season without being slowed by injury and the decline of Flip, our greatest need may yet turn out to be a 2-way playmaking centre. 

That said, i agree with the OP that if we could get Mantha and McCarron in the first two rounds, it would be remiss to not take them (unless someone better unexpectedly drops), as we are generally short of north-south scorers, regardless of size. But I don't think a desire to get bigger should cloud us too much, as I think the way the rule changes in the NHL etc are developing, speed will be a bigger factor. Which is why, though a bit of a wild card, AA (aka Greek Lightning) is an exciting kid to have on the farm. 

#63 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

I was watching the ohl finals (mostly watching Jake Patterson and Andreas athanasiou) and Bo Horvat scored a great shorthanded goal. The announcers were saying he'll be a steal in the mid 1st round. Does anyone know anything about this kid?

Bo Horvat (C, 2013) – London - 6' 0", 200 lbs, LH shot

A smart, consummate team player who plays a solid and consistent two-way game .. trusted by the coaching staff and used in all situations .. excels at face-offs .. makes responsible plays, exploiting an above-average skill set .. routinely matches up against the opposition’s best players which factors in blunting his plus-minus totals .. makes clever puck decisions in close – and is a threat posting up in the slot as he packs a quick, heavy shooting release .. a growing slot presence as he shows improved timing and anticipation .. reads the play better than most and knows when to pounce into the open slot .. continues to get stronger physically which has permitted him to win an increasing majority of his board battles – not to mention a better base to hold his ground in the slot and exercise his shot .. not only possesses the good vision to distribute the puck – but is also an unselfish player by nature .. charges efficiently to the net and can put the puck on his weak side and still make a play, showcasing his overall strength – and ability to operate on all sides of his body .. can be a tyrant down low using his thick body to absorb checks, and is skilled at putting the puck in his skates to make a play .. excels sheltering the puck and then finding the open man .. would benefit from adding more of a physical dimension to his game .. will finish his checks, but doesn’t really go out of his way to do so .. his speed and quickness have notably improved as he appears a tad lighter on his skates – even though he still needs to develop his agility and use his edges more effectively .. a low-maintenance player and sound draft pick whose game is somewhat comparable to that of Boone Jenner, a Columbus second-rounder last summer.

Not sure about mid-1st, but late-1st or in the 2nd round would be nice.

#64 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think too many people are using our current prospect pool to judge drafting priorities. When you are drafting 27th -30th (if at all in the first round) or mid 2nd round, you are generally better off drafting skill with a high compete level, as the skilled big guys have mostly gone.  But looking over the last few drafts

Mckee, de Haas, Bodin, Jurco, Oullett, Sproul, Tvrdon, Backman, Nedomlel, Marchenko, Sheahan, Aubry, Nestrasil are still in the system with good size. Of them only, Sheahan & Jurco look like good bets for the big team in terms of forwards, but our defence is the biggest its been in a while with big guys coming through. There seems to have been a greater focus on big guys who can skate over the last 3 years, and given the current wings roster and prospects beyond the potential home-run big guys, I actually think we are just as much in need of medium size guys who can play. If Sheahan & Jurco (and maybe Ferraro) can come up in the coming seasons, size and speed will be less of an issue (assuming helm returns), but with the big question mark over Dats, Zetterberg struggling to play a whole season without being slowed by injury and the decline of Flip, our greatest need may yet turn out to be a 2-way playmaking centre. 

That said, i agree with the OP that if we could get Mantha and McCarron in the first two rounds, it would be remiss to not take them (unless someone better unexpectedly drops), as we are generally short of north-south scorers, regardless of size. But I don't think a desire to get bigger should cloud us too much, as I think the way the rule changes in the NHL etc are developing, speed will be a bigger factor. Which is why, though a bit of a wild card, AA (aka Greek Lightning) is an exciting kid to have on the farm. 

No one skill: size, speed, strength, puck handling is enough. You want guys with several talents. A big fast skilled guy is better than a small fast skilled guy. I like a balanced team. Size and speed and skill.

#65 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Seeing that Mantha and Gauthier will most likely be gone by 22+ a high risk/high reward pick is the way to go. Zykov has the most upside of who should be left.

#66 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

If we win another series we will be to low to get mantha. But we are also now in the area bailey is a good option. Very similier player.

#67 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

I like Bailey, he just doesn't have the offensive upside of Mantha. At this stage bailey is a better two way player tho.

#68 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

As of today, if we lose we will pick 23? IIRC everyone else in the PO's has more points than us.

#69 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

But if we keep winning........ With the 30th pick in the 2013 NHL draft, the Detroit Red Wings take: ........gets a little more interesting.

#70 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Ok, season is over. BOOOO! It was a hell of a nice ride though. That being said, next major thing is the draft. We should have the 18th pick. This is the exact spot guys like Mantha are supposed to go. Now if I have my math correct our picks are:

1st round-18

2nd round-48

3rd-78

4th round-108

5th-138

6th-168

7th-198

In a perfect world we would pick up an extra pick between 18 and 48. Lets see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Edited 5/30/2013. Order is now set for us. We have the 18th pick in each round.

Edited by Richdg, 31 May 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#71 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

ISS in their latest mock draft, have Mantha/Gauthier/Zykov all selected by 23. They also moved McCarron to 26. I hope they are wrong.

#72 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yup. Now that the U18 WC's are over, some guys are rising and others falling. Mccarron is rising fast. He had a great U18 WC and we may have to take him in the first to get him, which is fine by me.

I will have some up dated scouting reports, videos, and my own personnel RW draft over the next couple of days.

#73 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

updated the order.

#74 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Cool! 18!
I'm still in love with Bo Horvat. I hope he falls back to 18 but he'll probably go earlier

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#75 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Sorry I haven't had time to update the draft/prospects etc lately. Been busy as hell working 2 jobs, going to classes at night and still taking cate of my wife and 3 kids at home while packing to move. Yikes!

The biggest thing is who is moving up/down now that the Juniors are finished, WC U18 is completed, and most combines are done. Some of the movers that I have read about:

Nichuskin moving down... Russian factor

Big Fred Guatherier down... Have a hard time beliving this, but is rumored

McCarron up, big time. Had a great U18 and being a 6-5/230 American RW

Mantha up-scoring is always popular

Bailey-down but only because others are movin up

Taking some of this into account, here is what I would love to see the first 2 rounds:

1st-McCarron

2nd-Bailey

No that wold be a dream draft. But most of the guys I have been talking about are still the names in play. Some may be in the 1st now, instead of the second.

Another mover:

Haag-dropping like a stone. Had a terrible WC U18. Same with de la Rose and Wannenberg.

#76 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

here are some scuting report links:

Bailey

http://thehockeywrit...g-his-own-path/

Big Fred

http://thehockeywrit...ospect-profile/

Mantha

McCarron

love the Gillies comp

Nichushkin

http://thehockeywrit...russian-factor/

Zykov

Get me 2 of these guys in the first 2 rounds and I am happy as a pig in mud. 3 would be down right orgasmic!

#77 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Would be nice to see Wings get Mantha.

#78 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Nichushkin will go in the top 5 now that he was let out of his KHL contract. He has to play in NHL or goes back to his KHL team

We need scoring and Mantha has the ability to score and good size

#79 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Going back to the begining for a bit here. I started this thread talking about the RW needs. We have a bunch of good young Dman prospects, and have several good young G prospects. There really isn't much need there. Our needs are Forwards. To be specific RH shooting forwards with size. We currently don't have a single C that is Rhed and very few RH shots in general. Keeping that in mind and where we are drafting-18th in each round, I will have a updated list of prospects late today/tomorrow. Some old names and some new ones. NA players and Euros.

#80 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Going back to the begining for a bit here. I started this thread talking about the RW needs. We have a bunch of good young Dman prospects, and have several good young G prospects. There really isn't much need there. Our needs are Forwards. To be specific RH shooting forwards with size. We currently don't have a single C that is Rhed and very few RH shots in general. Keeping that in mind and where we are drafting-18th in each round, I will have a updated list of prospects late today/tomorrow. Some old names and some new ones. NA players and Euros.

You're the man rich, thanks!