• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Which things from the past (not just Wings related) do you miss most?

Rate this topic

Personally for me there are lot of things:

- bench clearing line-brawls

- enforcers dealing with pests

- thrilling trade-dead-lines, 1 of July and draft day

- creative contracts

- hockey played like a mans game

- less diving

- less political bulls*** flooding into the game

- powerforwards not getting called for clean-checks

- hipchecks! what happened to them?

- bone crushing clean hitts

- less suits in the arenas+

- players playing without helmets

- rivalries fueled with pure hatred for the opponent

- stacked line-ups probably one of the worst parts about the new new NHL is that so many teams are almost equal save for a few superstars

Given all these things, it doesn't surprise me how fast my interest in the NHL (not the sport iself) is dwindling down quickly.

Those darn goalie masks. Gave a bad image to every self-respecting horror movie madman. One guy puts one on, and the next thing you know, mass murderers have a bad reputation, not to mention the decrease in popularity of the name Jason. Go bare like pre-Plante, dang it.

Seriously- I like helmets/masks because of the protection they provide, but I miss seeing the guys' hair flowing behind them like they were rock stars (Ron Duguay, anyone?) and I miss the way that they recognized that they were vulnerable. They knew the difference between hurt and injure and played to hurt.

The game being faster has made it more dangerous, but maybe we've lost something with all this speed.

I miss owners not being able to spend what they want to in order to build their team & not having to hand over money to other owners who can't run their businesses successfully.

Edit: Makes more sense that I miss Mr I not being able to spend how much he wants

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest DeGraa55

Players being able to police themselves. That is what I really miss.

This is what I miss.

- stacked line-ups probably one of the worst parts about the new new NHL is that so many teams are almost equal save for a few superstars

I'm conflicted on this one. On the one hand, watching teams like the 2002 Wings was fantastic. On the other hand, does anybody else remember the mind-numbingly boring games against Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus for a few years? And it was what, like 8 games with each of them each season? We destroyed every one of them every time and it was REALLY hard to get excited about long stretches of the regular season.

I think that was actually just after the 2005 lockout that I'm referring to, before we actually saw the parity start to come about. The Wings had 124 points that first season back and the next closest in our conference was 12 points back of us.

Oh right, and the thing I miss. Steve Yzerman.

Edited by Zetts

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I spent all my $$ on Tickets and was rockin a motorola flip phone which predated the cAmera phone era.

Plus i was 27 and she was 17 so I felt a little greasy about the thoughts I was having in general.

Actually did small talk to her and her friend and they were drinking Daquries....at 17 in the joe:)

Guest The Axe

This.

It's great to beat an opponent on the scoreboard, but also fun watching our beloved Red Wings beating the snot outta them as well...Especially when it was against the Avs.

It was cool cause the wings never went looking for trouble. They just ended all the trouble.

Oh boy do I miss these times Wings were a beauty back then, scoreboard and hardnosedwise. Downey beating the down on some Avs idiot after cheapshotting our former 5.

In case of helmets though I think players should be able to decide if they want to wear one or not.

Yes, I did enjoy seeing the Wings sitting on top with double digit protuberance knowing, they would absolutely steamroll over teams like the Avs or Blackhawks.

The current edition lacks identity, they aren't a skilled or hardworking nor a tough team so were is the identity? Overall the whole new NHL is just crappy and boring there is a reason why people are hesitant to take part in hockeybets, the game is just too unpredictable and killed by this parity crap, sometimes its unwatchable.

Guys I miss the most are Stevie, Downey, Kocur, McCarthy, Lidas, Holmer, Shanahan, Draper, Fedorov, Hossa

Sent from my BlackBerry