• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Which things from the past (not just Wings related) do you miss most?

Rate this topic

I miss the fact that play doesn't continue after someone lays another player out with huge, clean hit. It pisses me off that players go after Kronwall (or any other player for that matter) after a huge hit. To me, this should be called as delay of game if it immediately follows a legal hit.

Me too. No one can take a hit anymore.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

My figure from 2005. :lol:

whats wrong with your figure now?

its not about your appearance that should matter its all about whats on the inside. :)

i miss the old Hockey Night in Canada Theme (so canadian of me)

i miss when arenas were just simple names and not named after companies. (i,e maple leaf gardens, montreal forum, civic arena, philadelphia spectrum, la memorial coliseum etc...

i miss seeing gretzky lemieux, yzerman, howe, (just to name a few) on the ice.

i miss when hockey wasnt run by someone that begins with ary and ends with ettman.

i could go on and on but i wont :)

whats wrong with your figure now?

its not about your appearance that should matter its all about whats on the inside. :)

i miss the old Hockey Night in Canada Theme (so canadian of me)

i miss when arenas were just simple names and not named after companies. (i,e maple leaf gardens, montreal forum, civic arena, philadelphia spectrum, la memorial coliseum etc...

i miss seeing gretzky lemieux, yzerman, howe, (just to name a few) on the ice.

i miss when hockey wasnt run by someone that begins with ary and ends with ettman.

i could go on and on but i wont :)

I am a big fan of hockey night in Canada and especially Don Cherry, guy has seen more hockey than almost everyone on this planet and he knows a lot about the sport. Also a huge TSN fan, Dreger, McKenzie and LeBrun are by far the best hockey-insiders.

Oh an I miss having full seasons without and seeing guys like Illitch, Dolan being able to go crazy and create dynastylike teams!

Dino Ciccarelli

For some reason in my memory banks, right or wrong they may be... I consider him the signature screen guy in front of the net getting deflections and garbage goals even more than Holmstrom is known for it. I don't know why but that is how I remember him.Or maybe it was from playing NHL 92 on Sega...

Yeah, you're right. I remember him for the same thing, and just regarded Homer as his successor.

I miss those Dino/Homer types.

Is there another player along those lines out there at the moment?

Dominance, having either the best PP or PK or both, Jiri Fischer, having tough players on our team, guys that just shoot and are actually good at it (Shanny and Hull), one timers, old time hockey, fights, the feeling that both teams are beginning to seriously dislike each other, real rivalries, a time when i felt like whoever won a series was actually the better team, and a time when i felt like there wasnt so much questionable influence from Bettman/the league in suspensions, playoff series, or the draft lottery. I miss Draper's ethic, Lidstrom's dominance, Shanny/Hull's slapshot, Yzerman's whole game, and Duschene's smile. I miss the "must see TV" feeling of Wings/Avs. I miss knowing that the Wings would get someone at the trade dealine. I miss real, physical play. When everybody hit everybody and you didnt see guys getting runned because they made a clean hit.

Yeah, you're right. I remember him for the same thing, and just regarded Homer as his successor.
I miss those Dino/Homer types.
Is there another player along those lines out there at the moment?

I miss Homer and Lidstrom and not just because we arent as good without them. I miss watching the way they played. I was 11 when Homer was entering the league and I was starting to get serious about my own play in hockey. I very much modeled my game to a Maltby/Homer hybrid as I wasn't a dangler but was a pest and scored garbage goals aplenty. I used to practice deflecting pucks for hours on end and loved filling that role on my team. Even after i stopped playing, I loved watching Homer be the best at what he did. I was always a forward, although i played on my various team's PK unit, growing up but as I got older I became much more interested in game philosophy and the defensive part of the game and thats when i started to really watch Lidstrom. To me, outside of Datsyuk, Lidstrom was the most fun player on the Wings to watch because of how utterly brilliant he was. I think you have to know the game pretty intimatly to really grasp what he could do and I think I had to get older (then when I was young teen) to even understand him.

OK, after a long absence, let me chime in here:

1. I miss the Russian 5. When Scotty first sprung them on the NHL, it was like they were playing against a neighborhood bantam team. I would like to get a time machine, and replace Kozlov with Datsyuk, and see what happens.

2. I miss the feeling of excitement for the future that I felt after the losses to San Jose and Toronto in the playoffs. You just knew better times were coming. Sadly, that feeling is absent with this group.

3. I miss the feeling of indignation I felt when Scotty traded away Ray Sheppard and Paul Ysebaert (sp?). But he ended up being right.

4. I miss games from the Montral Forum, listening to Danny Gallivan.

5. I miss Sergei Federov and Duane Rao doing the Metro-25 tire ads (Who is this bozo?)

6. I miss the younger and slimmer Leila Sbitani, in jeans and black pullover, in the early Belle Tire ads.

7. I hate to admit it, but I miss Ray Lane. He wasn't great, but I've never cared for John Keating.

8. I miss Gerard Gallant - what a perfect hockey name.

9. I miss Lefty Wilson. If you remember him, you're old!!!!

Edited by Sgt. Angry

I miss a lot of what's been said already but I'd like to comment on the butterfly style of most goalies in the league.

it's boring to watch b/c they all do the same thing, go down, cover 99% of the net, they are so big, their equipment is so big - that's enough to do it seems.

they are like robots with no imagination. I miss Hasek.