Photo
- - - - -

Which things from the past (not just Wings related) do you miss most?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

basically everyone on our team not minding dropping their gloves

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I miss Kocur the most. I liked it when the Wings could kick the shyte out of the other team if necessary.

This.

It's great to beat an opponent on the scoreboard, but also fun watching our beloved Red Wings beating the snot outta them as well...Especially when it was against the Avs.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

This.

It's great to beat an opponent on the scoreboard, but also fun watching our beloved Red Wings beating the snot outta them as well...Especially when it was against the Avs.

It was cool cause the wings never went looking for trouble. They just ended all the trouble.

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

^That^  I miss Mac.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#25 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

times like the 1950 Stanley Cup Finals

bringit.jpg

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

Oh boy do I miss these times Wings were a beauty back then, scoreboard and hardnosedwise. Downey beating the down on some Avs idiot after cheapshotting our former 5.

In case of helmets though I think players should be able to decide if they want to wear one or not.

Yes, I did enjoy seeing the Wings sitting on top with double digit protuberance knowing, they would absolutely steamroll over teams like the Avs or Blackhawks.

The current edition lacks identity, they aren't a skilled or hardworking nor a tough team so were is the identity? Overall the whole new NHL is just crappy and boring there is a reason why people are hesitant to take part in hockeybets, the game is just too unpredictable and killed by this parity crap, sometimes its unwatchable.

Guys I miss the most are Stevie, Downey, Kocur, McCarthy, Lidas, Holmer, Shanahan, Draper, Fedorov, Hossa

Sent from my BlackBerry

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#27 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Steve Yzerman

Brendan Shanahan

Dino Cicarelli

Dom Hasek

#28 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

I also miss old school enforcers like Probert, Ciccone, McSorley. And Pavel Bure. He had great wheels!
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#29 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

Mullets.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

I also miss old school enforcers like Probert, Ciccone, McSorley. And Pavel Bure. He had great wheels!

Probert was one of the toughest and best enforcers to ever play the game RIP but the good thing is, with the Wings finally moving to the North-East Division they have to bring in two enforcers. East absolutely loaded with these guys, a duo of John Scott and Brian McGrattan would make opponents thinking twice about gooing it up against the "soft" Wings.

But if they don't bring in at least one that would be beyond stupid.

Edited by frankgrimes, 23 April 2013 - 06:53 AM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#31 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Having guys that can come in and step up for injured/slumping stars. That's what championship teams can find. Go back to the 1955 Stanley cup winners. Both Gordie and "Terrible" Ted Lindsay were hurt throughout the year. Gordie only missed 6 games but chipped in just 29 goals after scoring 49 2 years back. Lindsay was limited to less than 50 games on the year. It was supposed to be a down year for the tired group, having won 3 cups in the last 5 years. But, that's when things started getting interesting. 24 year old Dutch Reibel came in and didn't look back. He led the team in scoring with 66 points in 70 games. Two other youngsters, Marcel Bonin and Marcel Pronovost, stepped in and helped out the elders good ol' Bob Goldham and Tony Lewswick.

Edited by irishock, 24 April 2013 - 12:17 AM.

bringit.jpg

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

As far as the game goes, I don't really miss much.  With the exception of diving, which isn't as out of control as some make it seem, I think the game is better in pretty much every way now than it used to be.  Goalies are tougher to score on, forwards are super skilled and moving faster, and even the lower end guys need to be able to play the game.  I love not seeing the Marty McSorley types bungling up and down the ice.  Tough guys need to be able to play now, and I love it.  Sidebar:  I love watching Brandon Prust play hockey. 

I guess the only thing I miss are the individual players who were so good over the years.  Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanny.  All amazing.  And when I think about how much time I spent watching them, and knowing that I'll never see them play again, bums me out a bit.  I'll see other amazing players...and have (Datsyuk)...but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't do just about anything to see Fedorov take an outlet pass and race up the ice and do this one more time...

Edited by kipwinger, 24 April 2013 - 10:24 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Feds was the best I've ever watched.

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yup.  For a few years there nobody could touch the guy, as both Gretzky and Lemieux admitted. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#35 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well, Here are some of the Non-Wings related things I miss...

• Gas .99 cents per gallon...
  • my house actually being worth something (rather than worth less than I owe.)
  • KFC Hot Wings $5.99 for 20 of them...
  • Nice and FRIENDLY neighbors.  The ones that you talk to and spend time with everyday, the ones you give a spare key to, the ones you trust your children with...those type neighbors.
  • I miss The Three S's....s***, Shower and Shave.  I miss being able to do all three of these in that order, uninterrupted, in private, and without fail on schedule everyday...love ya Kids, but ya, I really miss The Three S's!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#36 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thank you for that! I've watched it like 4 times, it's helping the day go by faster lol.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Feds was the best Red Wing....period. (and he didn't even give 100% all the time....)

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#38 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Feds was the best Red Wing....period. (and he didn't even give 100% all the time....)

Ah...

:sleepy:

IPB Image

#39 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

He was the best hockey player from 93 to about 99. Pure.

#40 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

I miss when the NHL was on TV in the UK - and on a free to air channel too, not pay TV.  2 live games per week, plus lotsa highlights, and often a tape delay game after the live game too.  Now, nada because Uncle Gary can't agree a lucrative enough deal.

Just another thing to thank Bettman for!

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk