• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irishock

Bertuzzi not returning Wednesday vs Kings

Rate this topic

Bertuzzi won't be in game shape. That worries me. He'd have to start on the 4th line to minimize his minutes. I'd almost rather he wait til playoffs. Then again, we need his puck control.

He'll be alright the first game - players are usually flying on adrenaline the first game back. It'll be the next 2 games were he'll look out of shape.

Babcock deserves to be fired, he is such an idiot. His lines make no sense and now he wants to insert an old slow player, who missed so much time and has a bad back into the line up when you need to win?

His defensive parings suck and Bertuzzi only helps in Shootouts and we are past the part of the season where we need to care about shootouts. They need to win in regulation at least a couple of times. Need to get five of six points and two ROW to make it.

Does anyone REALLY think that putting Bertuzzi in right now will make the difference? He MIGHT be an improvement over Tootoo, but you know Babcock will likely put him in the top two lines and bench Gustav because he seems to do that all the time. I just don't think you want to put him in right now. He can't be in shape enough, and being -1 in the last three games could be enough to keep the Wings out of the playoffs. This isn't a good idea.

Babcock deserves to be fired, he is such an idiot. His lines make no sense and now he wants to insert an old slow player, who missed so much time and has a bad back into the line up when you need to win?

His defensive parings suck and Bertuzzi only helps in Shootouts and we are past the part of the season where we need to care about shootouts. They need to win in regulation at least a couple of times. Need to get five of six points and two ROW to make it.

Does anyone REALLY think that putting Bertuzzi in right now will make the difference? He MIGHT be an improvement over Tootoo, but you know Babcock will likely put him in the top two lines and bench Gustav because he seems to do that all the time. I just don't think you want to put him in right now. He can't be in shape enough, and being -1 in the last three games could be enough to keep the Wings out of the playoffs. This isn't a good idea.

Wow, overreaction? Babcock himself was the one that said that he wasn't even sure if Bertuzzi would play when he was cleared. Babcock said that he didn't want to mess with a good thing, and that he was giving ice-time to those who were going to help get the wins. You don't know Babcock's intentions, so I would refrain from jumping to conclusions and calling him an idiot.

Bertuzzi looked like he was in the best shape of recent years at the beginning of this season, and during their mini-"training camp." He has been skating, but that doesn't translate to game shape ready. He could be absolutely slow, but he does hold on to the puck better than majority of what we have in this lineup; which would help translate to longer possession times and more sustained pressure in the other zone.

Personally, I think the defensive pairings have been the best they have been all year. Kronner and Ericsson seem to be an okay pairing to help shut down top lines. They certainly aren't the 1-2 punch you want from your top pairing, but they've been getting it done. Smitty and Quincey have been playing together for the majority of the season now, and starting to gel together. There was much Quincey hate in the beginning of the year, but he's made some great plays in recent games. Smith has been bad, there's no denying that. It's also been expected that he would make numerous mistakes this season. Still doesn't mean it's right. He is an offensive defensemen that struggles in his own zone. He needs to be more effective with the transition and knowing when, what is acceptable, in given situations. All within time I suppose. DeKeyser and Kindl have been the shining bunch. Kindl completely became who we wanted him, and made numerous strides to becoming an NHL defensemen. DeKeyser made the transition to the big show more smooth than i've seen in recent times. The man has been a godsend for this team.

I don't see Babcock sending Goose back down. He has said how effective he has been, how outstanding the Goose-Andy-Brunns line has been. For the past few games, he has stated that it has been their hardest and most effective line out there. I just can't see him splitting that up in critical games like this.

A lot of different responses here haha, but the first thing that came to my mind is this...We are now in PLAYOFF hockey, we need THREE lines that score and ONE line that smashes down the other opponent.

Brunner Dats Zetterberg

Filppulla Franzen Tatar (possible?)

Nyquist Andersson Sammy

Tootoo Abdelkader Bertuzzi

Yes to Bert, no thanks on Samuelsson. If one is healthy enough to play, then I think Eaves/Tootoo will rotate in. I have a bad feeling if both were back though that would mean Nyquist gets scratched. I would like to see Bertuzzi with Franzen and Filppula. Bert can retrieve and hang on to the puck far better than Cleary.

A lot of different responses here haha, but the first thing that came to my mind is this...We are now in PLAYOFF hockey, we need THREE lines that score and ONE line that smashes down the other opponent.

Brunner Dats Zetterberg

Nyquist Andersson Sammy

Would love this lineup but as we have seen for some reason babs likes to sit tootoo when the other team is gritty and tough....I still have not figured that one out.

Would love this lineup but as we have seen for some reason babs likes to sit tootoo when the other team is gritty and tough....I still have not figured that one out.

I know?! But when we acquired Tootoo I thought one of the reason's was our lack of that type of guy, and especially in the playoff's. I would just like to know when Babs looks at a list of guys what he see's...

I think it may have something to do with Tootoo having to sit off the ice for 5 minutes. It forces Babcock to change up lines, and others to eat the minutes. Add that on top of his lackluster defense, you can see why Babcock benches him. He'd rather have the PK'er (Eaves) out there against teams that we need the PK on. Tootoo has brought another dimension to the team, but he can find himself out of position while trying to finish checks. He has done his job, as assigned though.

Brunner Dats Zetterberg

Nyquist Andersson Sammy

Wait where is our whipping boy.....Danny C!!

I can't watch a game without him in the lineup making me scream and yell at my TV just wouldn't feel normal.

Guest The Axe

lol, seriously?

Not everybody thinks this guy should be playing over our younger guys. I wouldn't give Bertuzzi, Sammuelsson, or White a sniff if I was the coach. But Babs can't just bench the guys Holland signs.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

say what you will about bertuzzi, but if he had been playing in those shootout losses, maybe the wings wouldn't be fighting for their playoff lives right now.

imagine if the wings' playoff hopes rest on a shooutout in dallas on the 27th.

Guest The Axe

say what you will about bertuzzi, but if he had been playing in those shootout losses, maybe the wings wouldn't be fighting for their playoff lives right now.

imagine if the wings' playoff hopes rest on a shooutout in dallas on the 27th.

He's better than Flip in the shootout.

If he comes back he needs to be in Abdelkader's "spot". Abdelkader after nearly a season with Dats is on pace for an impressive 20 point season (if the season was 82 games), which means, playing with Dats hes regressed from last seasons 22 points.

Anybody still criticizing Abdelkader's effectiveness obviously isn't watching the games and is just following point totals. He's never been relied on for points. He creates time and space for his linemates with his forecheck, boardplay and (team leading) hits. This does not always equate to a rocking point total. Bertuzzi doesn't have the legs or the durability to do what Abdelkader does.

For the record I do think it will be beneficial to have Bertuzzi in the lineup.

IMHO, we need ROW wins for the next three games, not Shoot outs. Seriously, unless he plans to come in next year and net 20-30 goals, I do not see a use for him anymore. Nothing personal, but we really do not need him. I am not saying that Abby will remain on Dats line, but he has done a pretty good job there once he got rolling. He has a career 9 goals in 45 games, over 80 that is 16 goals. That is pretty much what Bert has been putting up playing with Dats since he came back 4 years ago. Abby has less points but that has more to with Dats being the playmaker and the guy on the other side (ahem, Cleary, ahem, ahem) for most the season. If Dats kept Abby with him and had a shooter on the other side, Abby would fit there fine. He is a ton younger and makes less money than Bert and is less injury prone...so unless Bert intends to tear up the club nest year and net 20+ goals, I don't see a need for him, at least not enough to bump Abby down...I am 100% for the buyout or LTIR for next season...

Anybody still criticizing Abdelkader's effectiveness obviously isn't watching the games and is just following point totals. He's never been relied on for points. He creates time and space for his linemates with his forecheck, boardplay and (team leading) hits. This does not always equate to a rocking point total. Bertuzzi doesn't have the legs or the durability to do what Abdelkader does.

For the record I do think it will be beneficial to have Bertuzzi in the lineup.

Yes, but he's terrible when he actually gets the puck. I was at the game vs. coyotes and Zetterberg set him up atleast 4 times and he completely failed to execute.. Another legitimate forward would have scored atleast once or twice that game. I agree with you that Abdelkader is doing a good job creating space, but this offseason he really needs to work on his puck protection and execution. Datsyuk and Z have set him up enough to make him a legitimate 20 goal scorer yet he sitting at "11 points" as Shane Doan said it..

Edited by kickazz

As per Mlive:

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi said today that he will return to the lineup for Thursday's game against Nashville at Joe Louis Arena.

Bertuzzi skated with the bottom six forwards today and said he expects to play on the third or fourth line when he returns.

And, in case anyone missed this bit:

Forward Mikael Samuelsson (strained pectoral muscle) has been cleared to play but Babcock is not ready to insert him into the lineup.

Samuelsson could be back in the lineup any time as well.

Edited by Zetts

What makes me feel more comfortable about Bert's return is things like this:

"I’ll be ready to play tomorrow. I needed another hard skate,'' Bertuzzi said. "Like I said before, a week ago, I can’t come in and not be ready to play a full 60 and help out, contribute, be big down low, finish my checks. I needed another hard skate and that’s what we just finished.''

He knows he can't afford to come into the lineup and not be effective. I want to see a down digging Bert flying down the ice with a purpose. Give us that veteran spark plug.

IMHO, we need ROW wins for the next three games, not Shoot outs. Seriously, unless he plans to come in next year and net 20-30 goals, I do not see a use for him anymore. Nothing personal, but we really do not need him. I am not saying that Abby will remain on Dats line, but he has done a pretty good job there once he got rolling. He has a career 9 goals in 45 games, over 80 that is 16 goals. That is pretty much what Bert has been putting up playing with Dats since he came back 4 years ago. Abby has less points but that has more to with Dats being the playmaker and the guy on the other side (ahem, Cleary, ahem, ahem) for most the season. If Dats kept Abby with him and had a shooter on the other side, Abby would fit there fine. He is a ton younger and makes less money than Bert and is less injury prone...so unless Bert intends to tear up the club nest year and net 20+ goals, I don't see a need for him, at least not enough to bump Abby down...I am 100% for the buyout or LTIR for next season...

Cleary only played with Datsyuk and Abby for 7 or so games. Not most of the season. Abby has had plenty of opportunities to turn his 11 point season into a 25 point season. Face it, you're giving him way too much credit for scoring. I do agree that Abdelkader is creating space and helping datsyuk out in other aspects of the game such as physical play, but by no means has he done a good job with point production. I give him some legitimate credit that he has deserved, but not more than that. Now, should Bertuzzi replace Abderlkader? Maybe. Supposedly he's been practicing for a month now and bertz can be physical if he wanted to as well. On top of that Bert is a better goal scorer and has more finesse than Abby does. If Bert was truly healthy and has his A game then I would put him up over Abby any day. But if Bert isn't close to being a top liner then I would stick with Abby.

But it looks like Bertz expect to be on the 3rd line so that settles that.

Edited by kickazz