• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Jonathan Drouin- The Wings should consider trying for Frk's mate

Rate this topic

This isn't a rumor or anything beyond an idea that will never happen, because it is more just a heads up to those people who aren't paying any attention to Frk.

Frk is becoming one of the QMJHL best and most clutch players, and I do not think that it has as much to do with him as the fact that he is playing on one of the all time best Major Junior lines of all time. He is playing with MacKinnon and Drouin who could be the first two picks in the draft next year in a seriously strong top four draft class. IF (most likely when...) the Red Wings miss the playoffs they are in the lotto and have a long shot at getting the pick needed to draft either MacKinnon or Drouin. More likely is they could try to trade up for the pick, which would be expensive.

If there is an opportunity to draft either or trade up to do this, I hope they would do it for Drouin. Him and Frk are destroying in the league and the playoffs. Frk is putting up some clutch goals and big numbers. All three of these guys on the line have made at least 24 points in 11 games and it seems to me that Drouin is the one driving the scoring when watching them. Some of the passes he makes to Frk are fantastic and he is burying them by going all the way down on his shots and blasting them in.

I am of the group that thinks they need to really shake up the team, and while I don't want to move prospects it might be wise to try and find the superstars to replace what we have. Pavel, Zetter, and Franzen will not win another cup together here. If we miss the playoffs I hope somehow we get lucky/are shrewd enough to get one or both of Frk's linemates.

Do not even bother saying it isn't possible. I don't think it is, just wishful. Also, look up some of these highlights. Halifax is so much fun to watch.

He is playing with MacKinnon and Drouin who could be the first two picks in the draft next year in a seriously strong top four draft class. IF (most likely when...) the Red Wings miss the playoffs they are in the lotto and have a long shot at getting the pick needed to draft either MacKinnon or Drouin.

Wings are making the palyoffs.

I just can't see it being feasible. Well, let me rephrase that. It is feasible, but it would destroy our roster and farm system in the process of doing so. I was trying to find the history of trading for the first overall, but came up short. If i'm remembering correctly, I swear there's been some trades for the first overall in the past, but the cost of them has been through the roof, to the moon, and back.

Missing the playoffs wouldn't increase our odds, or make it worth it in reality. Coming up short at 9th would give us like a 0.5% chance at landing it, and trading is just out of the question at this point and time.

I've seen highlights of Drouin, and many have him going 1st over MacKinnon right now. All 3 of them work very hard and have outstanding talent, but unfortunately, like you said, it's simply a pipe dream.

No need, this kid is small. I know he's super skilled and all, but given the number of big bodied goal scorers in this year's draft, if we have to settle on one of them I'm not mad at all.

Oh what a shame haha. I have been reading about these kids all season long and they are impressive that's for sure, but with the draft that we have coming up Im much more inclined to pick up a power forward then lose a lot for a skill player. We have a heck of a talent pool of skill players for him to play with, let's get some size going now. Frk Yeah!

Yeah, pipe dream. But while looking at the Halifax stats I noticed someone else who might be of interest.

Stefan Fournier. RW, 21 yo, undrafted, unsigned so far as I can tell. 35g in 66 games, 12 in 11 playoff games. 6' 3", 210. Even drops the gloves on occasion. Be nice to add a kid like that to the system, especially for free.

Yeah, pipe dream. But while looking at the Halifax stats I noticed someone else who might be of interest.

Stefan Fournier. RW, 21 yo, undrafted, unsigned so far as I can tell. 35g in 66 games, 12 in 11 playoff games. 6' 3", 210. Even drops the gloves on occasion. Be nice to add a kid like that to the system, especially for free.

It'd be worth extending him a try out that's for sure. It's hard to say with Halifax though, they've got so much talent up front that you have to wonder whether the rest of these guys are benefiting that heavily from the coattail effect. I know that's one concern with Frk, as well as the same criticism used for Jurco when he was with St. Johns.

I'd be very careful when looking at the stats of a 21 year old playing junior hockey. I'm sure there are examples, but I'd bet you'd have a real difficult time finding many current NHLers would were playing junior hockey at the age of 21.

If the Wings were to somehow jump into that area of the draft, I'd much rather they go after MacKinnon or Jones. Drouin would be at the bottom of those 3, for me personally. I think wherever they land in the draft, I'd like them to grab the BPA, hopefully a center.

3 years from now Frk will be on a line with Tvrdon and Jurco. Get a real power forward in this years draft to compliment the smaller skilled guys we already have. As much as I'd love to have Droin and McKinnon, it would cost 8 tentacles....

Why would we put three wingers together without a center?

Just remember Eastern Conference....Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo....big teams. Wings need to get bigger. No more small skilled. We need Big Power forwards...

Boston, sure... but the others? Sure, they have some bigger 4th liners, but in their top six, where's the size? Toronto has Kulemin, Montreal has Pacioretty, Stafford for Buffalo. Generally speaking, those teams are kind of small, and before all of their injuries on defense, Montreal was the best of them. Speed and great passing kill. The puck moves faster than any player can.

Detroit's biggest issue is getting someone with the skill to rush the puck up ice and get it to the forwards. You can have big bodies in front of the net, but that doesn't do much good if you're always in your own zone/cut off in the neutral.

Not trying to pile on, but just out of curiousity what would you look at moving to trade up the 14th overall pick (if we miss) to the 2nd to guarantee him...

I would assume we would have to start with our 14th overall, Nyquist/Tatar and something else...

Nobody will give up the number 2 pick with out getting way more then what should be paid.

That being said I would LOVE Drouin, problem is the chance of us winning the lottery is extremely slim... I rather playoffs haha

For the people calling for a power forward that scores: We tried spot picking this with Sheahan and it didn't really work out that well. I say just go BPA at the place we are picking - if its a power forward then so be it. You can always end up moving a player later to fill needs. Bring the most value to the team possible with every pick.

Not trying to pile on, but just out of curiousity what would you look at moving to trade up the 14th overall pick (if we miss) to the 2nd to guarantee him...

I would assume we would have to start with our 14th overall, Nyquist/Tatar and something else...

Nobody will give up the number 2 pick with out getting way more then what should be paid.

That being said I would LOVE Drouin, problem is the chance of us winning the lottery is extremely slim... I rather playoffs haha

If all it took was our 1st, Tatar, and something else, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I feel it would take a lot more then that.

I'd be very careful when looking at the stats of a 21 year old playing junior hockey. I'm sure there are examples, but I'd bet you'd have a real difficult time finding many current NHLers would were playing junior hockey at the age of 21.

True enough, but again...free.

3 years from now Frk will be on a line with Tvrdon and Jurco. Get a real power forward in this years draft to compliment the smaller skilled guys we already have. As much as I'd love to have Droin and McKinnon, it would cost 8 tentacles....

Someone is a little optimistic...

Guest Johnz96

They should consider trading up to get Sproul's mate Nurse. He is tough, mean and nasty. 6'5" but a toothpick (192lbs weigh at camp in August so he probably weighs a little more and might even be a little taller, he is a growing boy). He 's got good puck skills, is a great skater and smart defensively. If he fills out to 225-240lbs he is going to be a monster. For the first time in a long time we will have someone who can keep the flies off and play at a high level.

They should consider trading up to get Sproul's mate Nurse. He is tough, mean and nasty. 6'5" but a toothpick (192lbs weigh at camp in August so he probably weighs a little more and might even be a little taller, he is a growing boy). He 's got good puck skills, is a great skater and smart defensively. If he fills out to 225-240lbs he is going to be a monster. For the first time in a long time we will have someone who can keep the flies off and play at a high level.

Nah, doesn't fill our need on D. A right hand shot...if Holland does take a Defender with his pick and it's not Poluck, then it better be Santini...BOTH big, BOTH Right handed, BOTH in the NHL within 5 years...I just pray and PRAY he would pass on Robert Haag and doesn't fall for the Rasmus Ristolainen smoke and mirrors....both big and I mean BIG, but will never play up to a 1st round draft pick...they are big though...

I am still on board with Mantha...but grow ever intrigue by Zykov...