61 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Goalies.

...Jimmy's a decent goalie.  He doesn't win you games.  He doesn't lose you games.  He's about to be way overpaid for such a goalie.  But, whatever I guess.  He's here for the next seven years.  He's decent.  At age 29, he's probably got at least 5 more decent seasons in him.  Petr Mrazek (21) is a prospect I personally really like, and he should at least make for a decent backup (if not someone who pushes Jimmy).  Gus is here for one more season, then probably replaced bhim.  I guess we're set at goalie for the foreseeable future as well.  McCollum is at least worth mentioning as potentially being a decent third goalie.

As with others, you lost me here. Jimmy is an excellent goalie who, with the exception of his 2011-2012 season (the dreaded sophomore slump) has had a case for team MVP every season he has been the starter. If you hadn't noticed, he carried the team to the playoffs in his rookie season, kept the team out of the dumpster in the first half of 2011-2012, and, with the exception of a few stinkers the likes of which every goalie on earth has from time to time, has played wonderfully this season.

GOOD LORD.  I said I think Jimmy is decent, and we're set with him.  You think Jimmy is some level of good, and we're set with him.  Either way, we're all in agreement that we're set with him.  Leave the semantics alone.  Talk about something more relevant. 

Statistics are statistics. There are no semantics where statistics are involved.

#22 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

God these threads always blow. Makes me miss the dislike button or whatever it was even more...

I also like how Schultz, Parise and Suter had to be thrown in there too.

Complete waste of this forums bandwith, IMO.

Edited by DSM, 25 April 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

No one here has said that he played "poor". That said, he didn't play as a clutch goalie in the playoffs either. That's the point.

Sure, I guess his .923 in the 2010-2011 playoffs wasn't good enough for you. For the record, that was the third-best of any goalie who made it out of the first round, and the #2 (Roloson) beat him by .001.

#24 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Sure, I guess his .923 in the 2010-2011 playoffs wasn't good enough for you. For the record, that was the third-best of any goalie who made it out of the first round, and the #2 (Roloson) beat him by .001.

And in reality, how is Holland going to get a better starting goaltender without taking a huge risk or overpaying with valuable assets to get one in a trade?

#25 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I guess we should rename this thread "Is Jimmy Howard Decent?" Oh, wait...

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#26 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I actually think this season is as close to as bad as it is going to get.

Think about the guys and the success they have had this year.

Sure KH signed a bunch of vets this past off season to contracts, but the beauty of them is they are all short term.

I think the future top line is taking shape and will eventually consist of a real good nucleus.

Not saying they are locks as elite players but a future of:

Nyquist - Anderson - Tatar

Dekeyser - Smith

Howard

so far that is looking like a bright future!

Hopefully a few more years of production from Dats, Z, Mule, Kronwall, grab a top D man to go with Kronner while Dekeyser and Smith develop chemistry before taking over as the top pair.

I think  fourth line of Abby - Helm - Tootoo could also be around for a decent amount of time.

I know I am basing this off of a small sample size, but so aren't the nay sayers. It is just easier/safer to predict a player will not be elite.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#27 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

...Jimmy's a decent goalie.  He doesn't win you games.  He doesn't lose you games. 

:confused1:

2009-2010 RED WINGS 63 37 15 - 10 3 141 1,849 .924 2.26 3,740 2010-2011 RED WINGS 63 37 17 - 5 2 168 1,830 .908 2.79 3,615 2011-2012 RED WINGS 57 35 17 - 4 6 119 1,496 .920 2.13 3,360 2011-2012 UNITED STATES-WC-A 7 5 2 0   1 17 19   2.42 421 2012-2013 RED WINGS 40 19 13 - 7 4 85 1,090 .922 2.19 2,326

b7vUM.gif

Edited by Wingsfan72, 25 April 2013 - 01:10 PM.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#28 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think the future top line is taking shape and will eventually consist of a real good nucleus.

Not saying they are locks as elite players but a future of:

Nyquist - Anderson - Tatar

Dekeyser - Smith

Howard

so far that is looking like a bright future!

I don't think any of those guys will be elite, but I think the Wings nucleus of young talent is much more extensive. The Red Wings will most likely have 11 players between the ages of 22-27 on their 23 man roster when next season starts: Nyquist, Tatar, Helm, Andersson, Emmerton, Abdelkader, Brunner, Kindl, DeKeyser, Lashoff and Smith. All of them have pretty much found a role and this team and some are young enough to still have lots of room to grow, while the ones entering their prime all seem to still be improving.

• Nev likes this

#29 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Who the hell is Schwartz? Do you mean Schultz? 

• DSM likes this

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#30 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Here's what I would do for next year: (no trades included)

Get rid of some of the dead weight, bad contracts, and guys who are taking up roster space that is needed for the young guys.  Then add a few pieces that would make the team more competitive.

Step 1: Internal free agents

Re-sign Brunner ($2M), Nyquist ($1.25M), Andersson ($1.05M), Smith ($1.5M), Kindl ($1.15M).

Let walk Filppula, White, Cleary, Miller.

Step 2: Buyouts

Compliance buyouts for Samuelsson and Quincey, $0 cap hit.  Standard buyouts for Bertuzzi ($625K), Colaiacovo ($600K), and Gustavsson (500K).

Step 3: Free agency

*IF these guys reach UFA status, I would go after them hard, especially the forwards.  Aggressive contracts, probably 2 years, maybe 3 if necessary.

Sign C Mike Ribeiro ($6.5M), RW Michael Ryder ($5.25M), D Scott Hannan ($1M), G Ray Emery ($2M).  I realize Ribeiro, Ryder, and Emery may be longshots, but IF they do hit UFA, those are the guys I'd want.  Ribeiro is a solid playmaker who can produce, he's been a good fit in Washington, and they don't have much else to re-sign, so I don't see them letting him walk...an alternative could be Tyler Bozak from Toronto.  Any other option would probably have to come from RFA or trade though, all other UFAs' careers are falling off.  Ryder is another guy who can still put up points, he's been a consistent goal scorer.  He has bounced around a bit over the last couple years, but I don't think that's a negative reflection on him.  Montreal may have to make some moves to keep him.  Other options include Iginla or Jagr, again any other option via RFA or trade.  I wanted Hannan for this year, I still think he'd be a nice 7th D who can step in and play decent minutes, block shots... a little upgrade over Huskins.  Other, lesser options would be readily available.  Emery has had a great season with Chicago.  He and Crawford make a very solid tandem, either guy can go any night.  Money will be tight in Chicago, maybe Emery looks for a better offer... but he may want regular playing time, too.  Other backup options include Jason LaBarbera and Anton Khudobin.

LIneup:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Ribeiro-Ryder

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Abdelkader-Andersson-Eaves

Tootoo-Emmerton

Kronwall-DeKeyser

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl-Lashoff

Hannan

Howard

Emery

#31 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Radulov - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Brunner - Zetterberg - Franzen

Tatar  - Andersson - Bertuzzi

Emmerton - Helm - Abdelkader

:)

#32 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Here's what I would do for next year: (no trades included)

Get rid of some of the dead weight, bad contracts, and guys who are taking up roster space that is needed for the young guys.  Then add a few pieces that would make the team more competitive.

Step 1: Internal free agents

Re-sign Brunner ($2M), Nyquist ($1.25M), Andersson ($1.05M), Smith ($1.5M), Kindl ($1.15M).

Let walk Filppula, White, Cleary, Miller.

Step 2: Buyouts

Compliance buyouts for Samuelsson and Quincey, $0 cap hit.  Standard buyouts for Bertuzzi ($625K), Colaiacovo ($600K), and Gustavsson (500K).

Step 3: Free agency

*IF these guys reach UFA status, I would go after them hard, especially the forwards.  Aggressive contracts, probably 2 years, maybe 3 if necessary.

Sign C Mike Ribeiro ($6.5M), RW Michael Ryder ($5.25M), D Scott Hannan ($1M), G Ray Emery ($2M).  I realize Ribeiro, Ryder, and Emery may be longshots, but IF they do hit UFA, those are the guys I'd want.  Ribeiro is a solid playmaker who can produce, he's been a good fit in Washington, and they don't have much else to re-sign, so I don't see them letting him walk...an alternative could be Tyler Bozak from Toronto.  Any other option would probably have to come from RFA or trade though, all other UFAs' careers are falling off.  Ryder is another guy who can still put up points, he's been a consistent goal scorer.  He has bounced around a bit over the last couple years, but I don't think that's a negative reflection on him.  Montreal may have to make some moves to keep him.  Other options include Iginla or Jagr, again any other option via RFA or trade.  I wanted Hannan for this year, I still think he'd be a nice 7th D who can step in and play decent minutes, block shots... a little upgrade over Huskins.  Other, lesser options would be readily available.  Emery has had a great season with Chicago.  He and Crawford make a very solid tandem, either guy can go any night.  Money will be tight in Chicago, maybe Emery looks for a better offer... but he may want regular playing time, too.  Other backup options include Jason LaBarbera and Anton Khudobin.

LIneup:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Ribeiro-Ryder

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Abdelkader-Andersson-Eaves

Tootoo-Emmerton

Kronwall-DeKeyser

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl-Lashoff

Hannan

Howard

Emery

Brunner will probably be wearing a different jersey next season if the team is hoping to get him signed up for $2mil a season. Why do you have Smith making more than Kindl?

Your idea for "standard buyouts" for Bertuzzi, Colaiacovo and Gustavsson is borderline retarded. You do know that those $625k, $600k and $500k cap hits will also carry into the next season, right? In fact, Bertuzzi's will go up to $725k and Colaiacovo's will go up to $950k for 14/15. That's a $2.175mil hit against the cap in 14/15. The Wings will be better off riding out those contracts for one year and then having those deals off the books for good when they expire.

After last summer, Ken Holland would have to lose 95% of his brain cells to buy out five NHL players all in the hopes of signing a whole bunch of players that 29 other teams will also be trying to add to their team.

Edited by DSM, 25 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#33 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

I thought we'd seen the last of pointless font changes...also line threads.

There will never be an end to people saying silly things though. Jimmy Howard is an all star goalie. Wouldn't have anyone else.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#34 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

My God get a blog......

Don't quite understand why the Mods keep letting this guy continue to start threads like this. Starts a flamewar everytime.

Quite easy to express your opinion of Howard in the many Howard threads.....Defence in one of the many defence threads......

Must hold his own opinion pretty high to post an essay everytime summing up his brilliant rational thoughts.

/END RANT

• DSM likes this
"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Rebuilding?

What about NHL parity?  

There is no rebuilding anymore.  It's just an excuse for not being a good team.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#36 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

My God get a blog......

Don't quite understand why the Mods keep letting this guy continue to start threads like this. Starts a flamewar everytime.

Quite easy to express your opinion of Howard in the many Howard threads.....Defence in one of the many defence threads......

Must hold his own opinion pretty high to post an essay everytime summing up his brilliant rational thoughts.

/END RANT

I agree. Go post this crap on Bleacher Report, where even the "featured columnists" think they can do Hollands job better and have no idea what they are talking about.

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Who the hell is Schwartz? Do you mean Schultz? 

Do not underestimate the power of the Schwartz!

I agree. Go post this crap on Bleacher Report, where even the "featured columnists" think they can do Hollands job better and have no idea what they are talking about.

A guy who happens to the most insufferable, know-it-all pessimist on the Wings HFBoards subforum---a community full of pessimistic know-it-alls---actually did start his own blog. It is hilariously bad, but the fellow still believes he's the universe's gift to hockey writing.

• DSM likes this

#38 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

How is jimmy not winning us games. Clueless ppl on this board I swear to god

#39 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Does anyone actually watch the games? Jimmy Howard had stolen at least 5 games this year
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

We already have the Howard = Average thread for the completely oblivious haters that don't watch Red Wings games. 

Without Howard we have NO CHANCE of contending for a playoff spot right now. Period. Easily been a top 3 goalie in the league during the 2nd half of the season, stop discrediting the man for performing brilliantly for us and being a complete workhorse. He deserves every penny of his contract, and like many others, I didn't read anything beyond that because that statement and your rep speaks volumes about why it wasn't necessary.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg