• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Rebuilding Thoughts..

Rate this topic

I actually think this season is as close to as bad as it is going to get.

Think about the guys and the success they have had this year.

Sure KH signed a bunch of vets this past off season to contracts, but the beauty of them is they are all short term.

I think the future top line is taking shape and will eventually consist of a real good nucleus.

Not saying they are locks as elite players but a future of:

Nyquist - Anderson - Tatar

Dekeyser - Smith

Howard

so far that is looking like a bright future!

Hopefully a few more years of production from Dats, Z, Mule, Kronwall, grab a top D man to go with Kronner while Dekeyser and Smith develop chemistry before taking over as the top pair.

I think fourth line of Abby - Helm - Tootoo could also be around for a decent amount of time.

I know I am basing this off of a small sample size, but so aren't the nay sayers. It is just easier/safer to predict a player will not be elite.

...Jimmy's a decent goalie. He doesn't win you games. He doesn't lose you games.

:confused1:

2009-2010 RED WINGS 63 37 15 - 10 3 141 1,849 .924 2.26 3,740 2010-2011 RED WINGS 63 37 17 - 5 2 168 1,830 .908 2.79 3,615 2011-2012 RED WINGS 57 35 17 - 4 6 119 1,496 .920 2.13 3,360 2011-2012 UNITED STATES-WC-A 7 5 2 0 1 17 19 2.42 421 2012-2013 RED WINGS 40 19 13 - 7 4 85 1,090 .922 2.19 2,326

b7vUM.gif

Edited by Wingsfan72

I think the future top line is taking shape and will eventually consist of a real good nucleus.

Not saying they are locks as elite players but a future of:

Nyquist - Anderson - Tatar

Dekeyser - Smith

Howard

so far that is looking like a bright future!

I don't think any of those guys will be elite, but I think the Wings nucleus of young talent is much more extensive. The Red Wings will most likely have 11 players between the ages of 22-27 on their 23 man roster when next season starts: Nyquist, Tatar, Helm, Andersson, Emmerton, Abdelkader, Brunner, Kindl, DeKeyser, Lashoff and Smith. All of them have pretty much found a role and this team and some are young enough to still have lots of room to grow, while the ones entering their prime all seem to still be improving.

Here's what I would do for next year: (no trades included)

Get rid of some of the dead weight, bad contracts, and guys who are taking up roster space that is needed for the young guys. Then add a few pieces that would make the team more competitive.

Step 1: Internal free agents

Re-sign Brunner ($2M), Nyquist ($1.25M), Andersson ($1.05M), Smith ($1.5M), Kindl ($1.15M).

Let walk Filppula, White, Cleary, Miller.

Step 2: Buyouts

Compliance buyouts for Samuelsson and Quincey, $0 cap hit. Standard buyouts for Bertuzzi ($625K), Colaiacovo ($600K), and Gustavsson (500K).

Step 3: Free agency

*IF these guys reach UFA status, I would go after them hard, especially the forwards. Aggressive contracts, probably 2 years, maybe 3 if necessary.

Sign C Mike Ribeiro ($6.5M), RW Michael Ryder ($5.25M), D Scott Hannan ($1M), G Ray Emery ($2M). I realize Ribeiro, Ryder, and Emery may be longshots, but IF they do hit UFA, those are the guys I'd want. Ribeiro is a solid playmaker who can produce, he's been a good fit in Washington, and they don't have much else to re-sign, so I don't see them letting him walk...an alternative could be Tyler Bozak from Toronto. Any other option would probably have to come from RFA or trade though, all other UFAs' careers are falling off. Ryder is another guy who can still put up points, he's been a consistent goal scorer. He has bounced around a bit over the last couple years, but I don't think that's a negative reflection on him. Montreal may have to make some moves to keep him. Other options include Iginla or Jagr, again any other option via RFA or trade. I wanted Hannan for this year, I still think he'd be a nice 7th D who can step in and play decent minutes, block shots... a little upgrade over Huskins. Other, lesser options would be readily available. Emery has had a great season with Chicago. He and Crawford make a very solid tandem, either guy can go any night. Money will be tight in Chicago, maybe Emery looks for a better offer... but he may want regular playing time, too. Other backup options include Jason LaBarbera and Anton Khudobin.

LIneup:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Ribeiro-Ryder

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Abdelkader-Andersson-Eaves

Tootoo-Emmerton

Kronwall-DeKeyser

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl-Lashoff

Hannan

Howard

Emery

Here's what I would do for next year: (no trades included)

Get rid of some of the dead weight, bad contracts, and guys who are taking up roster space that is needed for the young guys. Then add a few pieces that would make the team more competitive.

Step 1: Internal free agents

Re-sign Brunner ($2M), Nyquist ($1.25M), Andersson ($1.05M), Smith ($1.5M), Kindl ($1.15M).

Let walk Filppula, White, Cleary, Miller.

Step 2: Buyouts

Compliance buyouts for Samuelsson and Quincey, $0 cap hit. Standard buyouts for Bertuzzi ($625K), Colaiacovo ($600K), and Gustavsson (500K).

Step 3: Free agency

*IF these guys reach UFA status, I would go after them hard, especially the forwards. Aggressive contracts, probably 2 years, maybe 3 if necessary.

Sign C Mike Ribeiro ($6.5M), RW Michael Ryder ($5.25M), D Scott Hannan ($1M), G Ray Emery ($2M). I realize Ribeiro, Ryder, and Emery may be longshots, but IF they do hit UFA, those are the guys I'd want. Ribeiro is a solid playmaker who can produce, he's been a good fit in Washington, and they don't have much else to re-sign, so I don't see them letting him walk...an alternative could be Tyler Bozak from Toronto. Any other option would probably have to come from RFA or trade though, all other UFAs' careers are falling off. Ryder is another guy who can still put up points, he's been a consistent goal scorer. He has bounced around a bit over the last couple years, but I don't think that's a negative reflection on him. Montreal may have to make some moves to keep him. Other options include Iginla or Jagr, again any other option via RFA or trade. I wanted Hannan for this year, I still think he'd be a nice 7th D who can step in and play decent minutes, block shots... a little upgrade over Huskins. Other, lesser options would be readily available. Emery has had a great season with Chicago. He and Crawford make a very solid tandem, either guy can go any night. Money will be tight in Chicago, maybe Emery looks for a better offer... but he may want regular playing time, too. Other backup options include Jason LaBarbera and Anton Khudobin.

LIneup:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Ribeiro-Ryder

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar

Abdelkader-Andersson-Eaves

Tootoo-Emmerton

Kronwall-DeKeyser

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl-Lashoff

Hannan

Howard

Emery

Brunner will probably be wearing a different jersey next season if the team is hoping to get him signed up for $2mil a season. Why do you have Smith making more than Kindl?

Your idea for "standard buyouts" for Bertuzzi, Colaiacovo and Gustavsson is borderline retarded. You do know that those $625k, $600k and $500k cap hits will also carry into the next season, right? In fact, Bertuzzi's will go up to $725k and Colaiacovo's will go up to $950k for 14/15. That's a $2.175mil hit against the cap in 14/15. The Wings will be better off riding out those contracts for one year and then having those deals off the books for good when they expire.

After last summer, Ken Holland would have to lose 95% of his brain cells to buy out five NHL players all in the hopes of signing a whole bunch of players that 29 other teams will also be trying to add to their team.

Edited by DSM

I thought we'd seen the last of pointless font changes...also line threads.

There will never be an end to people saying silly things though. Jimmy Howard is an all star goalie. Wouldn't have anyone else.

My God get a blog......

Don't quite understand why the Mods keep letting this guy continue to start threads like this. Starts a flamewar everytime.

Quite easy to express your opinion of Howard in the many Howard threads.....Defence in one of the many defence threads......

Must hold his own opinion pretty high to post an essay everytime summing up his brilliant rational thoughts.

/END RANT

My God get a blog......

Don't quite understand why the Mods keep letting this guy continue to start threads like this. Starts a flamewar everytime.

Quite easy to express your opinion of Howard in the many Howard threads.....Defence in one of the many defence threads......

Must hold his own opinion pretty high to post an essay everytime summing up his brilliant rational thoughts.

/END RANT

I agree. Go post this crap on Bleacher Report, where even the "featured columnists" think they can do Hollands job better and have no idea what they are talking about.

Guest Crymson

Who the hell is Schwartz? Do you mean Schultz?

Do not underestimate the power of the Schwartz!

I agree. Go post this crap on Bleacher Report, where even the "featured columnists" think they can do Hollands job better and have no idea what they are talking about.

A guy who happens to the most insufferable, know-it-all pessimist on the Wings HFBoards subforum---a community full of pessimistic know-it-alls---actually did start his own blog. It is hilariously bad, but the fellow still believes he's the universe's gift to hockey writing.

We already have the Howard = Average thread for the completely oblivious haters that don't watch Red Wings games.

Without Howard we have NO CHANCE of contending for a playoff spot right now. Period. Easily been a top 3 goalie in the league during the 2nd half of the season, stop discrediting the man for performing brilliantly for us and being a complete workhorse. He deserves every penny of his contract, and like many others, I didn't read anything beyond that because that statement and your rep speaks volumes about why it wasn't necessary.

Sure, I guess his .923 in the 2010-2011 playoffs wasn't good enough for you. For the record, that was the third-best of any goalie who made it out of the first round, and the #2 (Roloson) beat him by .001.

Re-read my post instead of taking things out of context buddy. I actually said Howard play good. My EXACT words. Nice try :)

Here's my post again incase ya forgot ur spectacles the first time.

"No one here has said that he played "poor". That said, he didn't play as a clutch goalie in the playoffs either. That's the point. People worship Jimmy as if he's the best thing out there, however his playoff numbers performance haven't been extraordinary. It's been good. But nothing more. Not YET at least. He's not a Hart Trophy winner* Dominik Hasek. But that's not to say that he won't become one either.. The point is, he has a long way to go. Let's give him time instead of jumping to conclusions that he's the best thing ever. You have to take it year by year, he's still a young guy and he's improving each season and gaining more playoff experience as we go."

I said he wasn't clutch. I didn't say he was bad. Clutch vs. Bad. Two different adjectives from dictionary.com. Jonathon Quick was clutch in the post season. Howard was good in the post season. That's the difference.

Right now Howard is clutch.

Besides, you're giving me one playoff seasons numbers. Let's look at last year, 2.64 GAA and .888 SV%? I'm not going to blindly hold that against him because I actually like Howard. At the same time I'm not going to absolutely adore him for having 1 good playoff year either because we have yet to win a cup with him and see consistency in the playoffs. It's too early to judge him and call him elite as some people are.

Edited by kickazz

the fact that you think Jimmy is not a good goalie and cannot win us games makes me sick. and to say franzen is a bottom 6 player is quite a stretch, I've never seen a bottom 6 30 goal scorer, just saying

This. Without Jimmy, this team is playing for a top draft pick, not the playoffs. He has stolen numerous games this season while the team was hurt, changing daily, and trying to regain their identity.

But in all honesty I love the Jimmy hate. Because it continues to make people look like fools lol.

Guest The Axe

Howard - SET

Mrazek - SET

Dekeyser - SET

Kind - SET

Smith - SET

Ericsson - SET

Lashoff - SET

Sproul - SET

Ouelette - SET

Almquist - SET

Tatar - SET

Emmerton - SET

Nyquist - SET

Andersson - SET

Sheahan - SET

Frk - SET

Nestrosil - SET

That's our core to build around. If I'm Holland, the guys I left out should all be considered when talking trades.

Howard - SET

Mrazek - SET

Dekeyser - SET

Kind - SET

Smith - SET

Ericsson - SET

Lashoff - SET

Sproul - SET

Ouelette - SET

Almquist - SET

Tatar - SET

Emmerton - SET

Nyquist - SET

Andersson - SET

Sheahan - SET

Frk - SET

Nestrosil - SET

That's our core to build around. If I'm Holland, the guys I left out should all be considered when talking trades.

Nestrasil over Jurco? Really?

Guest The Axe

Nestrasil over Jurco? Really?

Jurco? Is he good? I'm willing to add him and SET him if you'll vouch for him.

I'm NOT willing to add Jarnkrok and his 156 lbs. That's silly to even discuss a guy who's that tiny.

Howard - SET

Mrazek - SET

Dekeyser - SET

Kind - SET

Smith - SET

Ericsson - SET

Lashoff - SET

Sproul - SET

Ouelette - SET

Almquist - SET

Tatar - SET

Emmerton - SET

Nyquist - SET

Andersson - SET

Sheahan - SET

Frk - SET

Nestrosil - SET

I mean no offense, but I feel a little uneasy with that core. 30-40% of them have not played an NHL game, much less posted any significant stats in the bigs.

Edited by AtomicPunk

Guest The Axe

Howard - SET

Mrazek - SET

Dekeyser - SET

Kind - SET

Smith - SET

Ericsson - SET

Lashoff - SET

Sproul - SET

Ouelette - SET

Almquist - SET

Tatar - SET

Emmerton - SET

Nyquist - SET

Andersson - SET

Sheahan - SET

Frk - SET

Nestrosil - SET

I mean no offense, but I feel a little uneasy with that core. 30-40% of them have not played an NHL game, much less posted any significant stats in the bigs.

I know. I feel uneasy about it too. But I'm sort of taking a worst case scenario approach to show that our core is pretty strong when you strip away the old guard:

Dats,, Z, Flip, Franzen, Kronwall, Quincey, Colo, Sammy, Bert, Clearly, White, Gustavsson, Too too, Abdelkader.

Dats and Z are really the only 2 guys that we will have trouble replacing.

Jurco? Is he good? I'm willing to add him and SET him if you'll vouch for him.

I'm NOT willing to add Jarnkrok and his 156 lbs. That's silly to even discuss a guy who's that tiny.

I can't tell if you're trolling me or being serious...

Jurco is one of our top 5 forward prospects...Nestrasil....well he can't seem to stick in the AHL.

Jarnkrok is currently 6'0 176lbs. As listed on the Griffins site who would have been the most recent to take those measurements.

Brett Hull & Luc Robitaille - 2001-02 Wings.. hahaha. I <3 that team.

the fact that you think Jimmy is not a good goalie and cannot win us games makes me sick. and to say franzen is a bottom 6 player is quite a stretch, I've never seen a bottom 6 30 goal scorer, just saying

I've seen a lot of Nestrasil in junior, when he played with the PEI Rocket. From what I saw I highly doubt he sees the NHL, and if so it'll be with a different team a few years from now.

He's a lazy player who has skill, but has no work ethic at all. Unless that changes in a hurry he's a bust.