• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Report Card

Rate this topic

I don't agree with giving Abdelkader an A. As Doan so eloquently put it: "How do you have only 11 points playing with Datsyuk?" He's doing good things without the puck, and I get why he's on Datsyuk's wing now, but the guy should have more points just accidentally from playing with Datsyuk. He's just not an all-around good player. He's just a poor man's Holmstrom.

When and where did Doan say this haha?

how do you figure?

He basically did nothing and then he did something, but it was a small something, but it mattered, but, then again, he did do a whole lot of less-than-something-that-really-mattered.

This is all very scientific and objective.

When and where did Doan say this haha?

When he and Abdelkader were in their respective sin bins. We all figured he was launching expletives, but, I think it was Pierre who cleared it up.

It actually makes me like him more. Doan, I mean.

He basically did nothing and then he did something, but it was a small something, but it mattered, but, then again, he did do a whole lot of less-than-something-that-really-mattered.

When he and Abdelkader were in their respective sin bins. We all figured he was launching expletives, but, I think it was Pierre who cleared it up.

I've always loved Doan. He's just like Backes. Everybody hates playing against him because he's often borderline. But he's a force, and anybody who wouldn't want a guy like that is crazy.

I don't agree with giving Abdelkader an A. As Doan so eloquently put it: "How do you have only 11 points playing with Datsyuk?" He's doing good things without the puck, and I get why he's on Datsyuk's wing now, but the guy should have more points just accidentally from playing with Datsyuk. He's just not an all-around good player. He's just a poor man's Holmstrom.

I think for play compared to expectations, Abby gets an A. However, if we start every player at the same point, I say he is a solid B/B+ for playing his game well. IMO he has been better than Cleary, and he has managed to produce the past few months. Abby doesn't have a lot of assists, but his forechecking, screening, etc. have led to a lot of goals.

Impressive stat: Abby leads the Wings in even strength goals.

I've always loved Doan. He's just like Backes. Everybody hates playing against him because he's often borderline. But he's a force, and anybody who wouldn't want a guy like that is crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his. I think he would've done wonders for this team. But, alas, he's loyal.

I think he's a bit of a rarity in that he just seems to flat-out love, love, love the game of hockey. So when he crosses a line or whatever, I think it's because he's just that into it. Point being, I don't think he's a ****** bag or a bad egg or anything like that.

It was fun watching his reaction to the extra two minutes he got. The most animated I've seen a player in awhile.

lmao, very scientific indeed. The problem was, we had a 1 week training camp, and playing games every other day doesn't leave rrom for practicing much, so it took a while for renney to implement his system in detroit and it finally took and we have been absolutely phenominal on special teams since.

lmao, very scientific indeed. The problem was, we had a 1 week training camp, and playing games every other day doesn't leave rrom for practicing much, so it took a while for renney to implement his system in detroit and it finally took and we have been absolutely phenominal on special teams since.

How much of that is Renney, though? And how much is it Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Brunner, et al. finally just being themselves?

Not trying to take any credit from him, mind you. (OK, maybe a little.) I just think, by this point, our special teams could probably coach themselves just fine.

Guest Crymson

How much of that is Renney, though? And how much is it Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall, Brunner, et al. finally just being themselves?

Not trying to take any credit from him, mind you. (OK, maybe a little.) I just think, by this point, our special teams could probably coach themselves just fine.

Would you have said the same thing last season?

Guest Johnz96

Dekeyser A+

I never seen him play before playing with the Wings. But from what I read in the scouting reports, he has played as I had hoped he might eventually develop into.

Obviously its a small sample size, but since the Z-Dats-Abs line has been formed, Abdelkader has been phenomenal. A lot of the goals Pav + Hank have scored he hasn't got an assist on, but his play has been key. Last night he was screening the goalie and tying up a defenceman on Ericssons goal - no assist. The other night he had a hit behind the net which caused a turnover and led to a goal - no assist.

Is he as good at screens and deflections as Homer? No, but who is? But he sure as hell skates better than Homer ever did and his hitting and puck retrieval has been key to creating the space for Hank and Pav to light it up. I'm loving what he's bringing to this team right now, even if he isn't putting up as many points, our Euro-Twins are. If you want a hard-hitting, defenceman crashing power forward who scores like Pav and Hank you need a time machine to get you 2002 Todd Bertuzzi.

Edited by Nev

I love that we have a serviceable power-forward in Abdelkader. He's no Wayne Simmonds, but we're never getting a guy like that. Ever.

Abdelkader. Franzen (sort of). Bertuzzi (maybe). Andersson (maybe).

Our top-six pool may still be way too soft and samey and playmakerrific on the whole, but we've got some size and strength.

He improved greatly over the season and has been awesome in the 2 nd half. And he gets an A for effort.

Guest The Axe

My problem with Abdelkader is he hasn't gotten any better. Datsyuk and Lidstrom became gym rats and honed their crafts as the seasons went by. Abdelkader is the same player he was when he broke in.

My problem with Abdelkader is he hasn't gotten any better. Datsyuk and Lidstrom became gym rats and honed their crafts as the seasons went by. Abdelkader is the same player he was when he broke in.

Abdelkader actually is a gym rat, I think.

I dunno. I have a hard time giving him a hard time for not suddenly becoming a 30-goal scorer. (Actually, with ten in this shortened season, he's projecting pretty positively for an 82-game campaign.) Bottom line: he's a bottom-sixer, basically a fourth-liner, and he's being asked to be a first-line power-forward, because our GM has dropped the ball on the we-need-a-big-mean-scoring-winger-who-can-complement-Datsyuk's-playmaking-skillz front.

You don't think he's gotten better from last year? Or even the beginning of this season? Abby leads the team in even strength goals- I don't think anyone would have predicted the season would end with him leading.

I think his play in the corners, his play in front of the net, and his decision making have improved. IMO he'll never be the type of player to carry a line himself, but he has learned to be an effective complimentary player on a scoring line.

Lets be honest here: You are comparing Abs to the greatest defenseman in the history of the game and the current best player in the world.

Some people have a bit lower ceiling than others...

Guest The Axe

Lets be honest here: You are comparing Abs to the greatest defenseman in the history of the game and the current best player in the world.

Some people have a bit lower ceiling than others...

Good point. But the work ethic is what made those 2 great. Abdelkader may not be the most talented, but he hasn't worked his as off either. Datsyuk floors guys Cruz he's put in his weight room time. Abdelkader just bumps guys.

Have to emphasize: going into this season, Abdelkader was comfortably slotted in the bottom six. We're talking like this is his rightful place and he's been at it for three years and so Where's the progress? Where's the improvement?

We're really not all that deep up front. I mean, sure, we have a good number of warm, capable bodies - but, for starters, we have zero players like the one Abdelkader's trying to be. Which is, of course, the whole reason he's in this position in the first place.

Beyond Abdelkader, and maybe Franzen, and maybe Bertuzzi, we do not have a big, mean, physical forward who can put the puck in the net (many times, and consistently) and really wear down the opposition on the forecheck.

So, now you have my positive and negative takes on Kader, I guess.[/bi-polar fan]

Abdelkader may not be the most talented, but he hasn't worked his as off either. Datsyuk floors guys Cruz he's put in his weight room time

1. What makes you say he hasn't worked his ass off? It's not like he floats all over the ice, or has questions swirling around him re: his work ethic.

2. What is this thing with the weight room? Babcock called Abdelkader a gym rat earlier this season.

We're talking like there's a whole lot this guy can do to suddenly become a first-line scoring threat. It doesn't really work that way. Whereas, if a soft, undersized guy wants to get stronger on his skates? He can push the workout routine, or what have you.

Abdelkader isn't failing to score at a fifty-goal pace because of some kind of lack of effort. He's a fourth-line grinder with a very limited offensive upside. That he's scored ten goals is actually pretty remarkable, even with the help and minutes he's had.

Edited by Dabura