• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#81 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

So you understand incorrectly.  Franzen's contract (as well as Hank's & Kronner's) is covered by the Cap Advantage Recapture clause, also known as the Roberto Luongo Rule, in the new CBA.  If a player signed a 7 year+ deal prior to Jan 2013 & retires before the expiration of the contract, the potion of the contract that was considered a cap advantage (years where actual salary exceeded the cap hit) is recaptured over the remaining years of the actual contract.  So for example, if Franzen were to retire after the 2015-16 season, he would have been paid $36m over the course of 7 seasons but the cap hit was only $27,681,815.  The difference would apply evenly over the course of the final 4 years of Franzen's contract, meaning the Wings would take a $2.08m cap hit for Franzen starting the 2016-17 season & he would finally come off the books after 2019-20.  

You can find a really easy to use cap hit recapture calculator here:  http://www.capgeek.c...ure-calculator/

I stand corrected!!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock