• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Motown4013

Coach for the Day....the last day

Rate this topic

Interesting things to decide on here. If you are the coach, coaching the last game in Dallas, would you consider any of these "X FACTORS"

We have won the last 3 in a row with the current line-up. Last game of the year and some of our guys are medically cleared to return.

Lets face it, Smith has made some costly errors in the last 3 games...Back to back penalties against PHX and one in Vancouver which led to a goal. He is 3rd on the team in giveaways (behind Pavel and Big E...who have both played more games and have more takeaways) He is also a minus player on the road.

We also have Cleary who has played better in the last few games but also took 2 penalties last night. He is slow and looked gassed in the 3rd last night in Nashville. Clears sits fouth on the team in PIM and is 2nd last for plus/minus on the active roster at -6.

With Bert apparently healthy and White as a plus 7 on the road, do you make a roster change? If you do, who do you insert? Bertuzzi has soft hands, an offensive upside, size and would be fresh. Fresh also means rusty....and not in game shape. Smith at times looks lost and overall has make some really poor decisions with the puck. Would Cola or White provide some stability on the blueline?

Sammy is also healthy...but there hasnt beeen much talk about him. Is the "Shin Guard assasin" better than someone one occupying a spot on the team?

If you get to coach the last game of the season, who do you want in the line up with a playoff berth on the line?

Interesting things to decide on here. If you are the coach, coaching the last game in Dallas, would you consider any of these "X FACTORS"

We have won the last 3 in a row with the current line-up. Last game of the year and some of our guys are medically cleared to return.

Lets face it, Smith has made some costly errors in the last 3 games...Back to back penalties against PHX and one in Vancouver which led to a goal. He is 3rd on the team in giveaways (behind Pavel and Big E...who have both played more games and have more takeaways) He is also a minus player on the road.

We also have Cleary who has played better in the last few games but also took 2 penalties last night. He is slow and looked gassed in the 3rd last night in Nashville. Clears sits fouth on the team in PIM and is 2nd last for plus/minus on the active roster at -6.

With Bert apparently healthy and White as a plus 7 on the road, do you make a roster change? If you do, who do you insert? Bertuzzi has soft hands, an offensive upside, size and would be fresh. Fresh also means rusty....and not in game shape. Smith at times looks lost and overall has make some really poor decisions with the puck. Would Cola or White provide some stability on the blueline?

Sammy is also healthy...but there hasnt beeen much talk about him. Is the "Shin Guard assasin" better than someone one occupying a spot on the team?

If you get to coach the last game of the season, who do you want in the line up with a playoff berth on the line?

I would consider Bert over Cleary if I could get a sense in practice that his conditioning wouldn't be an issue & that he could take heavy contact. If not, I wouldn't risk putting him out there & lose him to a cross check in the back within the first couple of minutes of the game. As far as Sammy, that's a straight no there. And as far as White or Cola over Smith, I really don't see either one of them as much of an improvement over Smith given that they would be coming into the last game of the regular season fairly cold/rusty themselves. Easier to hide a rusty forward among 11 others versus hiding a rusty d-man by overplaying the other 5.

("Rusty foward"... Is that a sex thing?)

Edited by ogreslayer

I would consider Bert over Cleary if I could get a sense in practice that his conditioning wouldn't be an issue & that he could take heavy contact. If not, I wouldn't risk putting him out there & lose him to a cross check in the back within the first couple of minutes of the game. As far as Sammy, that's a straight no there. And as far as White or Cola over Smith, I really don't see either one of them as much of an improvement over Smith given that they would be coming into the last game of the regular season fairly cold/rusty themselves. Easier to hide a rusty forward among 11 others versus hiding a rusty d-man by overplaying the other 5.

("Rusty foward"... Is that a sex thing?)

That was definately not the intention......and If it is, someone needs KY

As much as we would like it, If Bert or Sammy play it won't be for Cleary. I would say Eaves is the odd man out, but he has had a few very good games. Trying to get into Babs' head, I'd say if anyone sat, it would be Toots.

As much as we would like it, If Bert or Sammy play it won't be for Cleary. I would say Eaves is the odd man out, but he has had a few very good games. Trying to get into Babs' head, I'd say if anyone sat, it would be Toots.

I am afraid you are right in terms of who would be the healthy scratch if Bert was inserted into the line up. In my opinion, I think BOTH Eaves and Toots have had their best 2 games in the last 2 games. That 4th line has been exceptional for us as of late and I would hate to mess with the mojo they have going on. Sadly, the whole " best players get to play" seems to be conjecture...not reality.

I would like to see Bert and I think we will see him in the playoffs. Had CBJ lost last night, I think they would have made a few line up changes. Given we have been playing the best hockey of the season, I doubt the lines will change tomorrow in Dallas.

No way I would put in Bert. He's been out way too long to put him in a critical game. He's older and can't get into game shape like he could when he was younger.

Didn't he score 2 goals in the game that he did come back this year? I don't remember if that was his first game or not.

Guest Playmaker

It doesn't matter how old someone is, how long they've practiced or how healthy the are. You can't get into "game shape" unless you play in games. Can't be simulated in practice. Can't stand Cleary, but kind of hard to mess with success. I found it interesting the other day when Babcock was asked what contributed to the hot streak he said "young players".

I found it interesting the other day when Babcock was asked what contributed to the hot streak he said "young players".

He's right though. DelKaiser, Nyquist and moving Franzen to centre all combined together to transmogrify us into a proper team.

He'll play. Now way Babs will drop him now, he loves to talk about how his vets who may have struggled in the regular season come alive in the playoffs. Plus the guy is an absolute warrior in the postseason.

Brunner and Nyquist on the other hand....I think they will be on very short leashes and Babs will get Bert in there if he detects any lack of "compete" in their game.

What do you think is going to happen with Tatar?

I'd like to see him get some playing time, but at the same time, we've finally got some good chemistry on all 4 lines.

Decisions decisions... :g:

Edit: because I <3 Smilies!!!

Edited by BleedRed&White25

What do you think is going to happen with Tatar?

I'd like to see him get some playing time, but at the same time, we've finally got some good chemistry on all 4 lines.

Decisions decisions...

If you replace cleary with Tatar, that second line will be much better.

I tend to agree with Nev here. Although Brunner helped offensively down the stretch, he has looked a bit suspect on the back check and when protecting the puck. I think he may be the odd man out. No way he sits Gus.....if he does, it's a ridiculous decision. Gus has been great in both ends of the ice and is the juggernaut on that 3rd line. I think he probably stays with Cleary....but if I was guessing, I think Bert will be inserted at some point and #24 may be the odd man out.

In the last 2 years, we have been injured early in the playoffs...this year, IF we were to lose someone, I don't think it would hurt us as much because of the guys waiting to play.

Cleary has to stay in, his entire mo is built for playoffs.... I cant say the same about some of our young guys though. I saw some neevous nellies out there last night and for sure Babs will be happy to throw a Bert or Sammy in for a rook if beed be. Hell of a luxury to have.

Edited by beachwing

He'll play. Now way Babs will drop him now, he loves to talk about how his vets who may have struggled in the regular season come alive in the playoffs. Plus the guy is an absolute warrior in the postseason.

Brunner and Nyquist on the other hand....I think they will be on very short leashes and Babs will get Bert in there if he detects any lack of "compete" in their game.

Brunner and Nyquist have been creating as many chances as Dats and Z. The difference is finish. The guy that should be on a short leash is Filppula, cause he's producing like a 4th liner.