• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

one of my favourite seasons

Rate this topic

I will probably catch a lot of grief for this, but I have to say looking back on it, this has been one of my favourite seasons in the last 10 years.

We as wings fans seem to expect to make the playoffs every year, and anything less is a far cry from reality. Well so far that reality has been setting in as we fight with two other teams for the last 2 spots, something some of us haven't seen, and others not for a while. We all complain that this team has been stagnant for a few years, well this year the wings have gotten, bigger, stronger, faster, and younger. We are rebuilding on the fly with playoff hopes still at hand, and we started the season with a defense that was laughable at best. The controversy, the fight, the will, and the drive are keeping this younger team in contention. This season has been like a true underdog story out of the movies, almost like remember the titans, except the tragedy was Lidstrom retiring. It really has been very infuriating at times to watch, but from start to finish has kept me engaged and on the edge of my seat. Win or lose, I like this younger team (save for Cleary, white, quincey and others at times) and it really has been a blast, so thank you Red Wings for another great season, even if you don't beat Dallas, and we miss the playoffs, as kenny would say, i like our team :)

I agree. This season has been tension filled and exciting to say the least. I don't necessarily agree with all the contracts from this off season, but this rebuilding on the fly business will be masterful if successful. As of now we've only had a taste of the prospect pool... and so far the taste has been delicious. Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Lashoff, Mrazek, and Dekeyser, even in their limited roles, are all looking like career NHLers. Plus Ericsson and Kindl have begun to blossom. This season has only reaffirmed my belief in the Wings eye for talent, and we haven't even seen the Jarnkroks, Jurcos, Frks, Sprouls, Ouellets, Backmans, Sheahans, or Marchenkos yet.

the future is bright in hockey town, playoffs or not.

This season has been a lot different in recent memory. Something very different. But Euro_Twins didn't you say we would finish 4th or something this year?

My favorite Detroit Red Wings "regular season" was 1995-1996 season. Hands down.

Damn saw that 10 year span. 05-06 regualar season for us was pretty good lol

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

i did say last 10 years though, those are both more than 10 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking farther back.

Last 10 years, I'd have to go back to 2008 naturally. The others all left a bitter taste after they were done.

And that was the year we had Downey and Lilja. Enough said.

This season has been a lot different in recent memory. Something very different. But Euro_Twins didn't you say we would finish 4th or something this year?

My favorite Detroit Red Wings "regular season" was 1995-1996 season. Hands down.

yes I did, and if not for injuries plaguing us all year, who knows. I had high hopes, but whatever, as a die hard wings fan I always assume we can and will do better than what we are currently doing. I guess I can't see the future after all :P

also people saying 95-96, 2005-2006, or 2007-2008, you have to remember how stacked that team was, we have a lot of "unkowns" this year, it is amazing what we have done with that, which is why it is one of my favourites, a true underdog story, everyone loves that

yes I did, and if not for injuries plaguing us all year, who knows. I had high hopes, but whatever, as a die hard wings fan I always assume we can and will do better than what we are currently doing. I guess I can't see the future after all :P

also people saying 95-96, 2005-2006, or 2007-2008, you have to remember how stacked that team was, we have a lot of "unkowns" this year, it is amazing what we have done with that, which is why it is one of my favourites, a true underdog story, everyone loves that

Underdog status this year is correct. 07-08 regular season wasn't great. Be real please.

95-96, 05-06, and 07-08 actually were all really different teams tbh.

I don't see any argument.

Underdog status this year is correct. 07-08 regular season wasn't great. Be real please.

95-96, 05-06, and 07-08 actually were all really different teams tbh.

I don't see the any argument.

I never claimed they were the same, although some had some of the same parts. I just mean they really were better more skilled and experienced teams than this year. They were expected to be good

I never claimed they were the same, although some had some of the same parts. I just mean they really were better more skilled and experienced teams than this year. They were expected to be good

Maybe expected to be good and win yes. 07-08 team wasn't though. Argument could also be for the 05-06 team too. 95-96 not so much.

The only thing is, Holland wanted (and probably still wants) this to be a heavily veteran team. So, I don't put a lot of stock in the "youth movement" thing.

PESSIMISM! AWWWWWW YEAH!

I would agree with you on that but, some of the younger guys have been around enough that within a season or two they'll be vets anyway. Look at guys like abby, helm, howie etc, those guy are considered vets in my eyes now because they've been around a little while.

Not picking on ya, just figured i'd offer my opinion.

Guest Crymson

I think we would have finished 4th but for the amazing string of injuries.

I hated this season until the last week. There are some bright points but it wasn't fun watching them put zero effort in 50% of the time. I hope they win tonight so we can say this season was at least a partial success.

The NHL and PA took 30 games from me, so this season no matter how it ends can be described as garbage.

What Babcock did with this roster is amazing, I really love what I have seen from Tatar, Nyquist, Brunner, Smith and Dekeyser these should be some solid future Red Wings. Although I don't agree with any of the offseason signings (wanted Scott instead of Tootoo or Prust! but Gustavsson was a great move sadly he had to battle the injury line again :( ).

That said I'd take the 2002, 1996, 2007-8 and even the embarassing 08-09 season over this one easily.