• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Captain Z

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Honestly, to accuse a world class player like Zetterberg of diving is probably one of the more naïve and unbelievable post I've seen here. If you knew any physics you would know that wasn't a dive. Please go watch the replay again and do not accuse one of the most classy players of something that ridiculous.

I agree Howard did over exaggerate, but he did his job. At the end of game 6 perry got away with some nasty slashes. What Howard did in game 7 was payback. Good for him. Reminds me of what Ozzy did in his time as a red wing. Goalies always attract the refs attentions and it worked out in our favor. Be happy with it and move on.

Dude, Wings fan since '90. Next to Fedorov and Datsyuk, Z is the hardest player to knock down Ive ever seen. The guy is a bulldog. I know what I saw. It was a flop. And Zata doesnt usually do that.

Honestly, to accuse a world class player like Zetterberg of diving is probably one of the more naïve and unbelievable post I've seen here.

Ummmm.....I (and many others) do it all the time toward Cindy, and like him or not, he's a world class player.. Just sayin.

By Corey Masisak - NHL.com Staff Writer

Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist both were born on Sweden's west coast, in towns about 130 miles apart.

When they were developing into professional hockey prospects as teenagers, they were further apart -- Andersson was in Stockholm with Frolunda, while Nyquist was in Malmo. Still, their experiences with consuming NHL hockey were quite similar.

Both grew up watching a lot of Detroit Red Wings games. While the "Russian Five" made Detroit an extremely popular team in places like Moscow and St. Petersburg, the influx of Swedish players on the roster made them a go-to team on television sets in Malmo and Stockholm, as well.

"Since there are so many Swedes, probably the Swedish networks favor the Red Wings games, too," Nyquist said. "It is easy for the Swedes to watch them and watch their idols to play. For sure, I watched him when I was growing up and this was my favorite team for as long as I was growing up."

The "him" Nyquist referred to is Henrik Zetterberg, who has been a fixture in the Detroit lineup since the start of the 2002-03 season. While Nicklas Lidstrom may be the best player in the country's rich hockey history, Zetterberg is the best of a collection of Swedish forwards who have played for the Red Wings that also includes Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.

More

Edited by MidMichSteve

Guest The Axe

"After nine seasons with the Red Wings, which included a Calder Trophy, a Selke Trophy and a Conn Smythe Trophy, Zetterberg was ready to follow in the footsteps of a pair of NHL legends."

:eh:

I guess 1 out of 3 ain't terrible.

He can do a lot, but even Z can't retro-win the Calder! He should have a Selke by now. That guy is a witch on D.

And if a goalie did it to us your be crying....I just love fans in sports ;)

Not really. A failed assumption on you're part. As I mentioned before, Goalies attract attention when they get slashed moreso than a regular player on ice would. It's kind of their job sometimes to draw penalties. Theyre like babies that need to be protected. Simple hockey when defensemen shove opposing teams players out of the way from crease as soon as whistle is blown.

Nice try.

Dude, Wings fan since '90. Next to Fedorov and Datsyuk, Z is the hardest player to knock down Ive ever seen. The guy is a bulldog. I know what I saw. It was a flop. And Zata doesnt usually do that.

Wasn't a dive in textbook hockey. Believe me. I've seen worse in this league. Even if it was a "flop" as you call it, it was nothing compared to half the stuff other players try to pull. In any case, the simple fact that it wasn't that bad, doesn't really warrant the fact that Z needs to "stop flopping around" I see Crosby doing worse things and that is what really warrants people to question someones ethic. Not petty little things that "looked like a dive" or "maybe was a dive"

Ummmm.....I (and many others) do it all the time toward Cindy, and like him or not, he's a world class player.. Just sayin.

Im guessing by Cindy you mean Crosby. If that's the case, you should know that that's why Cindy Crosby is one of the more controversial players. Most people know about Crosby's diving antics. In fact there was controversy last week about how Crosby has actually never been called for a dive and speculation that he's been favored too much by refs. There's so much controversy that there's blogs dedicated to Crosby's diving. Sounds like a real world class player to me lol.

Enjoy:

Enjoy also:

Edited by kickazz

He can do a lot, but even Z can't retro-win the Calder! He should have a Selke by now. That guy is a witch on D.

Eh... Datsyuk steals his thunder with Selke. Z is decent as a defensive forward. I'd say top 10 in that regard, maybe even top 5.

To me what separates captains like Stevie Y. & Zetterberg is willing the team to win. Stevie Y left a tall task. He will the Wings to win. Gave out hits took hits. Got down to block shots. Helped all the lines in practice.

Zetterberg is a good captain. When he does what Yzerman did day in & day out he'll be a great capitain.

Eh... Datsyuk steals his thunder with Selke. Z is decent as a defensive forward. I'd say top 10 in that regard, maybe even top 5.

Zetterberg is the player they use to shut down opponents(Ie. Crosby, Perry etc.)

Zetterberg is just as effective of defensive player than anyone in the league, he just isn't a true center, so like many wingers he doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves.

Zetterberg is the player they use to shut down opponents(Ie. Crosby, Perry etc.)

Zetterberg is just as effective of defensive player than anyone in the league, he just isn't a true center, so like many wingers he doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves.

X1000

Datsyuk is flashier, Z will never make the kinda plays Datsyuk does however when Babcock needs somebody to shut a guy down he goes with Z. This is a great problem to have so this isn't a Dats vs Z thing.

I love to watch Z in the zone, his stick work and positioning is so good, Datsyuk's stick work is obviously even better but that s*** ain't even human.

Agreed.

Dats deserves his own award, for being a magician or something.

But writers love stats and Dats puts up good offensive numbers while being at or near the top in takeaways. I'm not saying Dats shouldn't win a Selke, it's just a shame Zetterberg probably won't in his career because he is the better shut down forward, which is closer to the original intention of the award.

To me what separates captains like Stevie Y. & Zetterberg is willing the team to win. Stevie Y left a tall task. He will the Wings to win. Gave out hits took hits. Got down to block shots. Helped all the lines in practice.

Zetterberg is a good captain. When he does what Yzerman did day in & day out he'll be a great capitain.

10 points in the last 4 games to end the regular season and have us not just make the playoffs, but finish 7th. And then in the 1st round of the playoffs when we were down 3 games to 2, Z had 2 goals and 1 assist including the game winner in the 1st elimination game as Captain and then had 2 more points in game 7. Z is in no way Yzerman, but I would call him a great leader and the Wings wouldn't have groomed him for the C if they didn't think he was too.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

Guest Johnz96

Top 10 in the world is a lot better than decent in my books

Agreed.

Dats deserves his own award, for being a magician or something.

But writers love stats and Dats puts up good offensive numbers while being at or near the top in takeaways. I'm not saying Dats shouldn't win a Selke, it's just a shame Zetterberg probably won't in his career because he is the better shut down forward, which is closer to the original intention of the award.

Well...the regular season doesn't often require Z to play a shut down role. He does however have a Conn Smythe for his efforts, which I think is more prestigious.

Edited by kook_10

X1000

Datsyuk is flashier, Z will never make the kinda plays Datsyuk does however when Babcock needs somebody to shut a guy down he goes with Z. This is a great problem to have so this isn't a Dats vs Z thing.

I love to watch Z in the zone, his stick work and positioning is so good, Datsyuk's stick work is obviously even better but that s*** ain't even human.

Nobody refuting any of you. While it is true that Zetterberg is the guy babs goes to when it comes to shutting down the other teams star players, it's also true of what I said in my initial post, which was "Datsyuk steals his thunder with Selke" Some else said that they give award based on stats. Unfortunately this is the reason Z may never win the award. Perhaps when Datsyuk retires or if Toews/Bergeron gets injured he will.

Top 10 in the world is a lot better than decent in my books

Top 3 in my books are elite. Top 10 are great. Z is elite in playoffs; decent in season. Then again, that's cuz of his own personal game. He focuses more on backchecking during playoffs. Nothing wrong with that.