• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

He can do a lot, but even Z can't retro-win the Calder!  He should have a Selke by now.  That guy is a witch on D.

Eh... Datsyuk steals his thunder with Selke. Z is decent as a defensive forward. I'd say top 10 in that regard, maybe even top 5.

#62 Fedorovfan

Fedorovfan

humble servant

• 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

To me what separates captains like Stevie Y. & Zetterberg is willing the team to win. Stevie Y left a tall task. He will the Wings to win. Gave out hits took hits. Got down to block shots. Helped all the lines in practice.

Zetterberg is a good captain. When he does what Yzerman did day in & day out he'll be a great capitain.

Lets go Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#63 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Eh... Datsyuk steals his thunder with Selke. Z is decent as a defensive forward. I'd say top 10 in that regard, maybe even top 5.

Zetterberg is the player they use to shut down opponents(Ie. Crosby, Perry etc.)

Zetterberg is just as effective of defensive player than anyone in the league, he just isn't a true center, so like many wingers he doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves.

#64 Johnny Law

Johnny Law

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Zetterberg is the player they use to shut down opponents(Ie. Crosby, Perry etc.)

Zetterberg is just as effective of defensive player than anyone in the league, he just isn't a true center, so like many wingers he doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves.

X1000

Datsyuk is flashier, Z will never make the kinda plays Datsyuk does however when Babcock needs somebody to shut a guy down he goes with Z. This is a great problem to have so this isn't a Dats vs Z thing.

I love to watch Z in the zone, his stick work and positioning is so good, Datsyuk's stick work is obviously even better but that s*** ain't even human.

#65 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,900 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Agreed.

Dats deserves his own award, for being a magician or something.

But writers love stats and Dats puts up good offensive numbers while being at or near the top in takeaways.  I'm not saying Dats shouldn't win a Selke, it's just a shame Zetterberg probably won't in his career because he is the better shut down forward, which is closer to the original intention of the award. 

#66 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

To me what separates captains like Stevie Y. & Zetterberg is willing the team to win. Stevie Y left a tall task. He will the Wings to win. Gave out hits took hits. Got down to block shots. Helped all the lines in practice.

Zetterberg is a good captain. When he does what Yzerman did day in & day out he'll be a great capitain.

10 points in the last 4 games to end the regular season and have us not just make the playoffs, but finish 7th.  And then in the 1st round of the playoffs when we were down 3 games to 2, Z had 2 goals and 1 assist including the game winner in the 1st elimination game as Captain and then had 2 more points in game 7.  Z is in no way Yzerman, but I would call him a great leader and the Wings wouldn't have groomed him for the C if they didn't think he was too. 

Edited by Z Winged Dangler, 17 May 2013 - 08:13 AM.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#67 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Top 10 in the world is a lot better than decent in my  books

#68 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

2 assists today and effectively shut down toews. Didn't just shut him down, he made his inner whiner come out for the first time in his career. Keep it up Z!!!!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#69 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Agreed.

Dats deserves his own award, for being a magician or something.

But writers love stats and Dats puts up good offensive numbers while being at or near the top in takeaways.  I'm not saying Dats shouldn't win a Selke, it's just a shame Zetterberg probably won't in his career because he is the better shut down forward, which is closer to the original intention of the award. 

Well...the regular season doesn't often require Z to play a shut down role.  He does however have a Conn Smythe for his efforts, which I think is more prestigious.

Edited by kook_10, 18 May 2013 - 10:18 PM.

works every time

#70 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

X1000

Datsyuk is flashier, Z will never make the kinda plays Datsyuk does however when Babcock needs somebody to shut a guy down he goes with Z. This is a great problem to have so this isn't a Dats vs Z thing.

I love to watch Z in the zone, his stick work and positioning is so good, Datsyuk's stick work is obviously even better but that s*** ain't even human.

Nobody refuting any of you. While it is true that Zetterberg is the guy babs goes to when it comes to shutting down the other teams star players, it's also true of what I said in my initial post, which was "Datsyuk steals his thunder with Selke" Some else said that they give award based on stats. Unfortunately this is the reason Z may never win the award. Perhaps when Datsyuk retires or if Toews/Bergeron gets injured he will.

Top 10 in the world is a lot better than decent in my  books

Top 3 in my books are elite. Top 10 are great. Z is elite in playoffs; decent in season. Then again, that's cuz of his own personal game. He focuses more on backchecking during playoffs. Nothing wrong with that.