• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

The Ducks are always a tough team and they love to beat us when they can. I expect some very childish antics from Perry and Getzlaf, but I am confident that the Wings will be very competitive this series. 

LGW

Thing is, this year is seeing something of a role reversal of previous seasons.  I think its no longer a case of the Ducks brawn vs the Wings skill.  Just look at our D corps - they're all big boys.  Kronwall is our smallest guy at 6-0 190.  Whenever Perry and Getzlaf are on the ice, so will be Ericsson and Abdelkader, so if they start trying to pull their usual crap we've got a couple of players who can stand up to them.

The 3rd line are in for a shock to the system though, they'd better be prepared to stand up to it.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

GL Guys and Gals should be an awesome series!! :clap:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Thing is, this year is seeing something of a role reversal of previous seasons.  I think its no longer a case of the Ducks brawn vs the Wings skill.  Just look at our D corps - they're all big boys.  Kronwall is our smallest guy at 6-0 190.  Whenever Perry and Getzlaf are on the ice, so will be Ericsson and Abdelkader, so if they start trying to pull their usual crap we've got a couple of players who can stand up to them.

The 3rd line are in for a shock to the system though, they'd better be prepared to stand up to it.

I dunno if I'd call it a reversal. We're still a puck-possessing, puck-moving, kill-with-skill unit. And not many on our back-end play an especially mean, physical brand of hockey.

But, we showed earlier this season that we can walk into the Honda Center and school some fools. And, yes - definitely give-'n'-take better than we have in awhile. Which is very nice to see.

I think that first goal last night, Hank actually using Dillon's workover to his benefit - that's sort of us in microcosm.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

GL Guys and Gals should be an awesome series!! :clap:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

You are encouraged to join the Photoshop "war". That way it can actually be a war :P

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

We can beat Anaheim. Like people noted, the standings were really close. Over a full season we could've been much higher.

But Anaheim isn't a one line team anymore. They've got three scoring lines. Our guys have to keep playing as strongly as they have.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Don't like this match up for a lot of reasons, including travel, their style of play, and their luck. Hope I am wrong, but, I think the Ducks in 5-6.

The alternative was to play Chicago inn the first round, who would crush us.

I'd rather travel a bit and play a team we have a chance to beat so we can at least make it out of the first round this year.

#47 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

If we do beat the pesky ducks I believe it will take 7 games to do it. Whatever case for this series, this matchup is a beauty as histories shown and this time around probably won't be any different. Glad to see the streak stay alive and for however long our post season may go, lets enjoy the hell outta it. 

#48 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Should be a great series. Proud of the Wings, gonna be a few late nights but it's much better then not being in at all!

#NOMOREKINDL

#49 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I dunno if I'd call it a reversal.

I did say something of a reversal ;)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#50 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Red Wings are getting hot at the right time.  Howard is playing like a brick wall and we are getting offense from our top guys, Franzen, Z, Pav.  The secondary guys are playing very well too and winning games for the Wings, see the game against the Preds.

The Wings always match up well against the Ducks and the series' are always tight ones.  I'd say Wings in 6, with the Wings taking Games 1,3,4,6.

Edited by Dirty Dangle, 28 April 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#51 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

working in a kitchen I am not usually done before 9:30-10:00 so Ii like the start time, and also we make the ducks play like a bunch of whiny girls, so it should be fun to watch getzlaf, perry, selanne, and ryan embarass themselves again

Edited by Euro_Twins, 28 April 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#52 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

dallasstarsvdetroitredwingsgamefiveo7hbj

Welcome back boys!

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#53 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

this is going to be an entertaining series. cant wait to see perry and getlaf have mental meltdowns when things don't go their way.

This year is the polar opposite of last year in that the wings backed into the playoffs last year, while this year they are coming in as one of the hottest teams in the league

should be fun!

#54 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

10 years ago the #2 seeded Red Wings were swept by the #7 seeded Might Ducks. Revenge is a dish best surved cold.

I was there for game 4 in a Wings jersey, it sucked.  Go Wings!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#55 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

10 years ago the #2 seeded Red Wings were swept by the #7 seeded Might Ducks. Revenge is a dish best surved cold.

The wings are hot, winning 4 in row in dominating fashion and getting points in 5 of last 6. The Ducks have questionable goaltending and Detroit has played very well against Anaheim this year. And historically #2 seeds have been uset in the first round more than 1, 2, or 4. I smell an upset and it smells a lot like cooked duck.

I was just thinking about this exact thing this morning, I could also see Jimmy playing like Giguere did that year as well. Damn! That would be sooooo awesome. Only difference is that Anaheim is not the defending Cup Champion, however another LA team is.........hmmmmmmmmm.... 

#56 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

The wings are hot, winning 4 in row in dominating fashion and getting points in 5 of last 6. The Ducks have questionable goaltending and Detroit has played very well against Anaheim this year. And historically #2 seeds have been uset in the first round more than 1, 2, or 4. I smell an upset and it smells a lot like cooked duck.

Not to mention with Babs coaching the underdog again!

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I did say something of a reversal ;)

...That's what she said.

I really, really hope the Wings don't let up. Been playing so well these last few games. Well enough - IMHO - to take the Ducks in six-ish. Which'd be mighty impressive.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

ESPN says Ducks in six. One of Burnside's lamer write-ups.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#59 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

ESPN says Ducks in six. One of Burnside's lamer write-ups.

That was one of the worst write-ups I've read in a long time. It seems like he wrote the whole story based on stats, and paid no attention to which players/ teams are hot right now. I understand why they would pick the Ducks, since they are the favorites, but at least come up with legitimate reasons to back up your opinions!

After watching the video, these guys lost all credibility in my eyes when they agreed that there are only 5 legitimate cup contenders... I would say there are 16. The only team I would maybe call a non-contender is Minnesota because they have been playing so poorly of late, but even they could be contenders if they snap out of their funk.

Thumbs down.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#60 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

The Red Wings are getting hot at the right time.  Howard is playing like a brick wall and we are getting offense from our top guys, Franzen, Z, Pav.  The secondary guys are playing very well too and winning games for the Wings, see the game against the Preds.

The Wings always match up well against the Ducks and the series' are always tight ones.  I'd say Wings in 6, with the Wings taking Games 1,3,4,6.

The Wings have looked great the past 4 games, but they beat 3 non playoff teams, 2 who played back up goalies and an LA team who was playing the second of back to back games on the road without much to play for.  I'm hoping that this is the team that shows up in Anaheim not the team we saw for most of the season.