• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Thank You Detroit Red Wings...

Rate this topic

I just wanted to start a topic for us to say Thanks to the Red Wings for providing us with a great regular season despite all the adversities and drama and odds against us! (Thank God, we didn't hear the "Too Old" card this year.)

So, despite all of this:

• Nick Lidstrom retiring
  • Tomas Holmstrom retiring
  • Brad Stuart trade
  • New Asst. Coach
  • Losing out on Parise, Suter, Schultz, Doan and every other "Top" UFA
  • Countless injuries to our Defense creating our youngest average D since Nick and Vladdy were Rookies
  • Gustavsson hurting himself and never really turning into a reliable backup
  • Losing Helm for the season (again)
  • Losing Bertuzzi's experience and Sammy to injury

(I am sure that I am leaving something out)

But anyway, despite all of this and despite the experts having us out of the playoffs for the first time since I turned 20, THE Detroit Red Wings proved once again, that when it comes to being a perennial winning team in the NHL, nobody does it better! Eat that Olsen Twins!

SO, Despite all the above mentioned scenarios that were supposed to have us dwelling at the bottom of the NHL, you guys did it. No matter where you go in the playoffs, this is a winning season and every other team in the league is just shaking their heads right now!

Watch out NHL, don't look now, because the Red Wings just rebuilt on the fly and will be back on top sooner than you can say 22 straight years!

THANK YOU DETROIT RED WINGS for a regular season to remember! (now lets spoil some parties!)

Edited by LeftWinger

Best part is, we have players on this team right now that are holding us back. Once the Clearys and co. are gone, a lot of GR will be pushing. We seem like we have massive depth in both defense and offense in the next few years. I believed this year was; If Babcock missed the playoffs he would have been held responsible, however if the team got in despite everything, he deserves the damn Jack Adams.

So by my reckoning, we've done it with 5 rookies as regulars on the roster (DelKaiser, Smith, Nqquist, Brunner, Andersson), another 2 rookies contributing significantly (Lashoff, Tatar) and 2 borderline NHLers who most of us had given up on who turned into bona fide NHLers (Kindl, Emmerton)

Lest we forget all the "Stupid" penalties that Jordin Tootoo took this year that killed us too, eh? A lot of us called that signing great when it happened and a lot of us called it stupid...turns out that of the three guys they signed, he turned into a bonafide important cog to our team this season and I reallt don't recall many if any of those "stupid" penalties....Tootoo needs to end his career in Detroit. Period. ( and I do not mean retire after this contract is up...)

Tootoo was the best signing we made. Is he a great puck handler?? No but the guy plays every shift like its his last.

I am just amazed at this team this year. From Pav and Hank dominating to a Abby finally living up to his potential. To new stars like Andersson and Nyquist. New Dmen that will be patrolling the blue line off years Dekeyser, Smith, and Kindl. Finally our team MVP we would be no where without Jimmy Howard... Proving himself as one if the elite goalies in this league.

I agree that this has been a great season. Babcock did a great job through the injuries and developing the young guys, and here they are still making the playoffs. I'll admit I was disappointed when they missed out on Parise and Suter, but long term I think they will be in better shape.

Time to take care of the Ducks!

Guest The Axe

I've gone from doom and gloom after the first 10 games to being really excited and optimistic now. People are going to start oggling ovrr our defense and goalie situation VERY soon. Ericsson, DeKeyser, and Kindl have matured into dependable minutes guys. Quincey and Smith are almost there too. Lashoff, Almquist, Sproul, and Ouelette will follow soon. I'm going to say it now = we have the best D + Goalie lineup in the NHL. Might be homerism, but I haven't felt like a homer in a while. Can't wait to watch game 1!

I just wanted to start a topic for us to say Thanks to the Red Wings for providing us with a great regular season despite all the adversities and drama and odds against us! (Thank God, we didn't hear the "Too Old" card this year.)

So, despite all of this:

• Nick Lidstrom retiring
  • Brad Stuart trade
  • New Asst. Coach
  • Countless injuries to our Defense creating our youngest average D since Nick and Vladdy were Rookies

But anyway, despite all of this and despite the experts having us out of the playoffs for the first time since I turned 20, THE Detroit Red Wings proved once again, that when it comes to being a perennial winning team in the NHL, nobody does it better! Eat that Olsen Twins!

SO, Despite all the above mentioned scenarios that were supposed to have us dwelling at the bottom of the NHL, you guys did it. No matter where you go in the playoffs, this is a winning season and every other team in the league is just shaking their heads right now!

Watch out NHL, don't look now, because the Red Wings just rebuilt on the fly and will be back on top sooner than you can say 22 straight years!

THANK YOU DETROIT RED WINGS for a regular season to remember! (now lets spoil some parties!)

Great post!

When you look at the cumulative losses and changes to this team, it's not hard to admire what this team did this year. I think we can beat the ducks in round 1 but even if we don't, we have a young, talented team to build around. Says a lot about the character of this team. LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!! Here's to another 22 years!

Excellent summary by the OP. It's pretty amazing for me to see how far they've come from opening night (quick refresher: they lost 6-0 in a game that I drove 3 hours to attend) to where they are today. They are still way too reliant on the magic of Dats and Z, but it's a joy to see that the future is not all doom and gloom, and the progression of the next generation of the Winged Wheel is coming along nicely.

Edited by Cruiser008

I agree. The WIngs have had a fantastic season and have been led in a great way by Pavs, Hank and Kronners. But I would just like to say the guy who deserves a lot of credit is Mike Babcock. I have openly questioned him a LOT this season and a lot of others on here have called for him to even be fired, but the fact is, he did his job and got his team into the playoffs for the 22nd year. We all questioned Abby playing with Pavs and thought Babs was a moron (despite Pavs wanting it). Now look how smart Babs looks. That top line has been UNREAL towards the end. IMO, given all the injuries the WIngs have had (after losing Nick and Stu and Rafi a year prior) MIke Babcock deserves the Jack Adams because there is not a team in this league that could have sustained the injuries the Wings have and still made playoffs. GO WINGS!

You know, it's really a blast to make the critics look like a bunch of idiots, and it seems that's what we've done this year. We've been beset by injuries, and the chemistry might have taken a while to kick in, but look at what we did the last week of the season. I was at the game last Monday night, and it was as loud and rowdy as I've ever been a part of. We have really overcome a lot of obstacles, and the new kids have been amazing. I like Joakim Andersson, he has really impressed me. For being a rookie, he has shown a lot of poise and confidence. I think Dan DeKeyser (if I spelled it wrong, Dan, I profusely apologize) has a lot of potential, and he's learning from one of the best in Nik Kronwall (who has also shown a lot this season - he's deserves the mantle of top d-man). Now if there was a way we could get Helm and Bert in (I seriously doubt it. You may have seen the last of Bert.), we'd be in the driver's seat. As for Mike Babcock winning the Jack Adams, I'm all for it. But he probably won't even get a mention. Sad.

It's Duck hunting season, boys. Bring it on home!

So by my reckoning, we've done it with 5 rookies as regulars on the roster (DelKaiser, Smith, Nqquist, Brunner, Andersson), another 2 rookies contributing significantly (Lashoff, Tatar) and 2 borderline NHLers who most of us had given up on who turned into bona fide NHLers (Kindl, Emmerton)

also dragging the corpse of Dan Cleary

So, despite all of this:

• Nick Lidstrom retiring
  • Brad Stuart trade
  • New Asst. Coach

Did someone hijack your computer? lol...in all seriousness it was a completely different kind of season then any i've seen in my 20 years following this team. Not sure I would like to repeat this but we are the team that just got in and are playing our best hockey. Lets do some damage.

Guest Playmaker

I didn't go overboard when the Wings were playing poorly wanting anyone fired or a complete team overhaul, and I'm not going to now that they had one great week. The entire team, the coaching staff and front office deserves all the credit in the world for stepping it up when it needed to. I hope the team that played so well this past week is the one that shows up in Anaheim.

I've gone from doom and gloom after the first 10 games to being really excited and optimistic now. People are going to start oggling ovrr our defense and goalie situation VERY soon. Ericsson, DeKeyser, and Kindl have matured into dependable minutes guys. Quincey and Smith are almost there too. Lashoff, Almquist, Sproul, and Ouelette will follow soon. I'm going to say it now = we have the best D + Goalie lineup in the NHL. Might be homerism, but I haven't felt like a homer in a while. Can't wait to watch game 1!

DeKeyser didn't even need to mature. He just stepped in and played 2nd pairing minutes and it was seamless. And for that, I thank the Wings, Babcock and Holland for signing him and giving him minutes.

Guest The Axe

now, when regular season is in the books, I think the only disappointment this year is Damien Brunner with only 12 goals in 44 games.

Weird. I think he did alright, considering the transition year. Now we'll see if he hits the weights and juice this summer and turns into the DB we all are dying to see, or if he Patrick Kanes it over the summer and stays a poor man's Danny Briere.

As overused and annoying it has been to hear it get thrown around during the rough games, im gonna go ahead and say it now:

I like our team. <<sarcasm-free statement.

As far as how this team ended the season, and regardless of what happens during this playoff run, this is only the begining :D

Guest The Axe

As overused and annoying it has been to hear it get thrown around during the rough games, im gonna go ahead and say it now:

I like our team. <<sarcasm-free statement.

As far as how this team ended the season, and regardless of what happens during this playoff run, this is only the begining :D

Helm for Cleary and I REALLY like our team.

Helm for Cleary and I REALLY like our team.

i agree, BUT throwing in a player who hasnt played in 3 months could come back to bite em in the ass. but i do hold out hope that he makes his return this spring. same with big bert. but i figure we will see bert after the first loss. if sammy plays im gonna cry.

Guest DeGraa55

People act like Sammy being out is a bad thing?

Don't you guys realise that all these old guys and injuries helped our future a lot. Now we got loads of young talent with experience. 5 of our 6 defenseman are only getting better. Kronwall idk about. Then we got like Nyquist Tatar Anderson emmerton etc etc getting experience

I thought this year would be a down year....which it was. But its also going to make success in these upcoming season very likely. Especially if we get a a big guy top line guy through UFA or trade.