• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

What does Babs do?

Rate this topic

Driving home from Raleigh after seeing Seger in PNC. Which by the way there were a TON Wings Jerseys in attendance. Got to talk to a family wearing Ferris State, Griffins and Wings jerseys but I digress.

What do you do if you are Babs?

Keep riding the horses that got you into the playoffs?

Or do you take the chance and put Bert and Sammy in? Personally I think he should let it ride as making the playoffs after all the injuries is quite an accomplishment. As we all know Danny C will NOT be sat down it would be Gus or Eaves for Bert.

Sammy in no way, shape or form should ever play another game in a Wings uniform. Tuzzi should be in to replace Cleary, however Eaves probably will be sat for him even though him and Tootoo have been awesome together, and Emmerton won't sit cause he's our 4th centre. Nyquist will not be sat. The likelyhood of that happening at this point is less than the likelyhood of someone grabbing a brain and sitting Cleary. He got a lucky bounce for our goal last game off Kindl's shot. Other than that he was falling down as usual and being his normal useless self.

What does Babs do though you ask? Bring in Sammy to replace Tootoo or Eaves and then say the players dictate their ice time.

Listening to the radio commentary I don't think I heard Brunner's name once, despite hearing Nyquist and Andersson plenty. I said in another thread that he might be on a very short leash, I imagine Bert is chomping at the bit.

As much as I love Tootoo and the intensity he brings every time he's on the ice, I would consider sitting Tootoo for Bertuzzi and as stated above possibly juggling the lines to separate Pavel and Z. I hope he gives the Nyquist Anderson Brunner line another chance as they were great down the stretch and I thought they played alright last night.

Having said that, the 4th line of Eaves Emmerton Tootoo has also played very well and if Bertuzzi comes into the line up I think it will be for Brunner or Anderson. I hope Babcock doesn't dress Samuelsson.

Edited by mule

I think you leave the roster alone, the young guys looked nervous, understandably so. Even Dekeyser who has been as solid as a Rock with outlet passes bungled a few. (get it, Seger comment in OP, solid as a rock, ahhh, I know not funny!)

I think the young guys need to calm down a little, I think they looked for the amazing pass/play a little too much last night. The team as a whole seemed to be trying to thread the needle a little to finely.

Well, that and the fact that Jonas Hiller is a southpaw, and out of his freaking mind with the glove last night!

I can think of two shots (one Mule can't remember the other) that were very similarly placed to Selanne's game winner, except Hiller's glove was all over that corner.

And to the people blaming Babcock's roster choices, lets think about this:

-it was Anahiem, arguably the second best team in the NHL all year long

-it took an amazingly placed shot by an HOFer who has been sniping corners like that for years

-the team was very shaky to start the game, Howard played Awesome which he will need to keep doing, but the kid line got better and so did the young D

-Speaking of the kid line, IMO, the kid line carried this team last night, defensively as well as offensively as far as pressure goes, Nyquist was Dats Jr, all over the puck on both ends!

My point, a Wings team that barely made the post season was in this game the whole time and gave the 2nd best team all year long a real fight in their barn.

With the youth on this team, I saw that as a good sign and feel like the Wings could steal one in ANA. They will have to defend home ice, as I don't think they can take 2 in ANA over the series.

Overall I thought that was a great game to watch and it is too bad the Wings lost, but I thought it was a good first showing on a team with that many playoff rookies!

IF....

if Babs were to sit Brunner, I would much rather see Tatar there instead, but alas I am not the coach.

I'm actually not feeling too bad about last night's game. Their power play looked better than I remembered it for much of the season, and the defense mostly contained a Ducks team that has both speedsters and skill players. If you remember how terrible the defense was in January, it's night and day from then.

That being said, I think there's a reason Nashville sat Tootoo in the Playoffs last year (you know, when they were beating us?). While I was never a fan of Tootoo from the start, I understand there being some arguable value to his "energy" or "message" hits during the course of a condensed regular season. In the Playoffs, though, all he's going to do is draw the attention of the refs. We don't need his fights (he isn't really a good fighter anyway, just better than you'd expect for his size), and while that penalty call on him was probably a little weak, it directly led to Anaheim taking control of the game.

Brunner was pretty bad, but I think he's still a net positive in the lineup. If you're sitting someone like Tootoo for Tatar, though, that would make more sense to me.

What a sad state of reality for what they paid Sammy before this season, juxtaposed with the fact that they're afraid to put him in the lineup and have him suck. Players like Crosby, or even freakin' Kyle Quincey are rushed back into action with protective equipment, but it seems more likely than not that Sammy would hurt the team if they put him in cold.

I think you leave the roster alone, the young guys looked nervous, understandably so. Even Dekeyser who has been as solid as a Rock with outlet passes bungled a few. (get it, Seger comment in OP, solid as a rock, ahhh, I know not funny!)

Or perhaps we simply Turn the Page to game 2 without the nerves with the younger players.

Or make a Night Move and put Bert in...

Sorry I had to.....

Well, Mr. Babcock, thank you very much for loosin game 1 one of this series.

Wings won twice against the ducks by spreading the offense. There's just no reason to change anythin und put Z and Pav together. Wings are very easy to control with a lineup like this.

If we are able to create offense over at least three lines it should be no problem to defeat the ducks.

Wrote this long time ago. Pav and Z don't work anymore. Wings won game 7 because Babcock separated them. Today again. Chicago dominated the game in the 3rd period because Babcock changed the lines.

Will be interesting to see what Babcock plans. Maybe it's a good idea to bring in Tootoo and add some energy.

Edited by poel

Wrote this long time ago. Pav and Z don't work anymore. Wings won game 7 because Babcock separated them. Today again. Chicago dominated the game in the 3rd period because Babcock changed the lines.

Will be interesting to see what Babcock plans. Maybe it's a good idea to bring in Tootoo and add some energy.

they work just fine together, but we don't have a second line with them together, that is what doesn't work.

And they wouldn't have gotten to a game 7 had they not been put together mid series. Hank and Pav work great. But like others say the rest of the lines aren't good enough to pick up the slack left when one goes to the top line.

Driving home from Raleigh after seeing Seger in PNC. Which by the way there were a TON Wings Jerseys in attendance. Got to talk to a family wearing Ferris State, Griffins and Wings jerseys but I digress.

What do you do if you are Babs?

Keep riding the horses that got you into the playoffs?

Or do you take the chance and put Bert and Sammy in? Personally I think he should let it ride as making the playoffs after all the injuries is quite an accomplishment. As we all know Danny C will NOT be sat down it would be Gus or Eaves for Bert.

I think at this point, Cleary would be sat long before Nyquist. Nyquist puts out the same effort and is much more skilled and useful, and Babcock knows it. Keep Tuzzi in cause he's been playing really good, and put him on with Z and Flip to make more space for them. Cleary was terrible last game. His role needs to be on the 4th line. Abdelkader has flourished playing with Dats, Cleary has been getting consistently worse over the past 2 years.

Cleary is the worst player we've had in a while. I think the only reason he has points is because pucks bounced off him. I swear he is the Brandon Inge of The Red Wings we can't get rid of this guy. Tootoo couldn't possibly be worse.

Missed the game, but it sounds like Smith was terrible. The offense could probably be fixed by splitting Datsyuk and Z up, on paper that second line we started the game with looked pretty bad, I think it was Flip-Franzen-Cleary?

I listened to the last period on the radio, and it sounded like Smith was out there all the time. It won't help his confidence to get torn apart. If Babs doesn't sit him, the least he can do is limit his minutes. I almost think White should come back in. I worry he's too rusty, but there's not a way we can rearrange the defensive lines, which I think are more important at this point.

If you move Smith down, then you end up with Quincey and Kindl again. If you move Colaiacovo up, you end up with Kindl-Smith. White would add some stability at least. Smith's jitters are just too costly at this point.

If they are going to dress Carcillo, we need to dress Tootoo, though I understand why he hasn't played recently.

I thought Smith was extremely nervous for the first 2 periods. Actually looked pretty good in the third. Cleary and Abby were our best players until Clearly list his coverage on Oduya in the third. Bert was no where to be found. Mule had some decent shifts. Give them an extra day off and I expect a better effort than game 1

Kenny"s MO this summer should be to get a solid veteran stay-at-home guy to pair with Smith if they have any interest in developing him properly. If not, trade him.

But yeah, something like this:

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - DeKeyser

Smith - Scuderi

Quincey would have to be moved.

Edited by rick zombo

they work just fine together, but we don't have a second line with them together, that is what doesn't work.

Not true. They nearly produce nothin during the Anaheim series. Never enough altough they had to neutralize Getzlaf and Perry. They scored only on the PP. But what happened in Game 7 when Babcock separated them? Pav played much better because he need two grinders who win the board battles for him. Z-line scored twice.

Think the lineup is as good as its gonna get just some minor tweaking and the team showing up and competing would go a long way. Move Kindl up and replace Smith. Kindl played great for the most part last night. Smith is still probably a better option than White and Lashoff but he needs less ice time it would probably help his confidence not turning over the puck 3 times per shift. If he can string together a few nice shifts playing less minutes he may be able to dig himself out of this hole he dug. If not, put White in.

Also, our forwards terrible puck support made our defense look real bad. Left them out to dry which in turn left Howard out to dry. Our forwards as a group played their worst hockey of the playoffs last night

Edited by joesuffP

Not true. They nearly produce nothin during the Anaheim series. Never enough altough they had to neutralize Getzlaf and Perry. They scored only on the PP. But what happened in Game 7 when Babcock separated them? Pav played much better because he need two grinders who win the board battles for him. Z-line scored twice.

For the record, it was Franzen-Filppula-Cleary that was matched up against Getzlaf and Perry for the majority of that series. Pav and Hank were together in Game 6, which was arguably their best game. They were also separated for the majority of Game 1 against Chicago.

The lines can work either way, or they can fail either way.