• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Missed the game, but it sounds like Smith was terrible.  The offense could probably be fixed by splitting Datsyuk and Z up, on paper that second line we started the game with looked pretty bad, I think it was Flip-Franzen-Cleary?

I listened to the last period on the radio, and it sounded like Smith was out there all the time.  It won't help his confidence to get torn apart.  If Babs doesn't sit him, the least he can do is limit his minutes.  I almost think White should come back in.  I worry he's too rusty, but there's not a way we can rearrange the defensive lines, which I think are more important at this point.

If you move Smith down, then you end up with Quincey and Kindl again.  If you move Colaiacovo up, you end up with Kindl-Smith.  White would add some stability at least.  Smith's jitters are just too costly at this point.  

If they are going to dress Carcillo, we need to dress Tootoo, though I understand why he hasn't played recently.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

I thought Smith was extremely nervous for the first 2 periods. Actually looked pretty good in the third. Cleary and Abby were our best players until Clearly list his coverage on Oduya in the third. Bert was no where to be found. Mule had some decent shifts. Give them an extra day off and I expect a better effort than game 1
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Kenny"s MO this summer should be to get a solid veteran stay-at-home guy to pair with Smith if they have any interest in developing him properly. If not, trade him.

But yeah, something like this:

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - DeKeyser

Smith - Scuderi

Quincey would have to be moved.

Edited by rick zombo, 16 May 2013 - 10:47 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#44 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

they work just fine together, but we don't have a second line with them together, that is what doesn't work.

Not true. They nearly produce nothin during the Anaheim series. Never enough altough they had to neutralize Getzlaf and Perry. They scored only on the PP. But what happened in Game 7 when Babcock separated them? Pav played much better because he need two grinders who win the board battles for him. Z-line scored twice.

#45 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Tatar - Eaves - Tootoo should all be playing while Sammy, Bert, and Cleary take a seat. 

#46 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Think the lineup is as good as its gonna get just some minor tweaking and the team showing up and competing would go a long way. Move Kindl up and replace Smith. Kindl played great for the most part last night. Smith is still probably a better option than White and Lashoff but he needs less ice time it would probably help his confidence not turning over the puck 3 times per shift. If he can string together a few nice shifts playing less minutes he may be able to dig himself out of this hole he dug. If not, put White in.

Also, our forwards terrible puck support made our defense look real bad. Left them out to dry which in turn left Howard out to dry. Our forwards as a group played their worst hockey of the playoffs last night

Edited by joesuffP, 16 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Not true. They nearly produce nothin during the Anaheim series. Never enough altough they had to neutralize Getzlaf and Perry. They scored only on the PP. But what happened in Game 7 when Babcock separated them? Pav played much better because he need two grinders who win the board battles for him. Z-line scored twice.

For the record, it was Franzen-Filppula-Cleary that was matched up against Getzlaf and Perry for the majority of that series. Pav and Hank were together in Game 6, which was arguably their best game. They were also separated for the majority of Game 1 against Chicago.

The lines can work either way, or they can fail either way.

#48 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Cleary shouldn't be on the second line

IPB Image

#49 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think they found out last night that their best chance is with Hank and Pav split.  They need the depth too badly playing such a deep team like Chicago.  I also would love to see Tootoo come in for Cleary.

#50 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I couldn't believe it when Cleary opted for the dropback pass instead of the close in shot on the gaping five hole. Nyquist or Tatar would have drilled it home.

#51 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

I couldn't believe it when Cleary opted for the dropback pass instead of the close in shot on the gaping five hole. Nyquist or Tatar would have drilled it home.

even lilja would have drilled that home

#52 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Tootoo is too likely to get penalized, rightly or wrongly so We can't stop Chicagos PP.

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Kenny"s MO this summer should be to get a solid veteran stay-at-home guy to pair with Smith if they have any interest in developing him properly. If not, trade him.

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - DeKeyser

Smith - Scuderi

I like it.  I mentioned Scuderi a couple months ago in some thread.  He's a solid Dman and would fit well here.  We should definitely target more forwards, but he'd be welcome here in my books.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - DeKeyser

Smith - Scuderi

I like it.  I mentioned Scuderi a couple months ago in some thread.  He's a solid Dman and would fit well here.  We should definitely target more forwards, but he'd be welcome here in my books.

Scuderi is a solid D-man and I wouldn't mind him on the Wings either, but I'd be surprised if the Kings didn't re-sign him.  Mitchell may very well be done because of his knee so the Kings would need Scuderi even more.

Plus Scuderi is basically the #3 guy on the Kings.  I doubt he'd slot in the #6 spot for Detroit.

#55 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Scuderi is a solid D-man and I wouldn't mind him on the Wings either, but I'd be surprised if the Kings didn't re-sign him.  Mitchell may very well be done because of his knee so the Kings would need Scuderi even more.

Plus Scuderi is basically the #3 guy on the Kings.  I doubt he'd slot in the #6 spot for Detroit.

Yeah, I doubt Scuderi would move from LA either. I just used him as an example. Any veteran under 35 that plays a solid stay-at-home game would do.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

True, but Babcock never keeps lines together long.  Equal playing time has been given to our Dmen lately no matter what line they're on, so he'd get 20 mins probably.  But yeah, LA will no doubt re-sign him.  They'd be stupid not to. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#57 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Miller and Tootoo.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.