• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

ECQF - (8) NY Islanders vs. (1) Penguins

Rate this topic

As much as I hate to say it, Crosby is unreal this season.

But as long as they keep scoring the Isles can stretch this out and maybe win the series. Pittsburgh lacks goaltending and defense, I think.

Last night was another perfect case in point as to why I don't like the Pens. It reminded me so much of Game 2 in 2009 against us. Pens lose, they act like spoiled little brats, throw punches, take cheap shots, etc. They did it against us, they did it last year against Philly and now they're doing it this year against the Isles. They are TERRIBLE losers. Does frustration play a part in it? Sure, but guys like Crosby and Malkin can't act like that for two reasons. One, they're supposed to be the leaders of the team. Coming unglued at the end of every losing game isn't leadership. And two, the NHL wants them to be the faces of the league. Being a sore loser isn't the image that the NHL is striving for.

As for the series, they'll switch to Vokoun and win the next two games. Fleury was destroyed by the Isles in the regular season (3.60 GAA) too, while Vokoun was a brick wall (0.90 GAA in 3 games). Plus, the NHL won't let their Golden Boy get knocked out by the Isles in the first round. That's not good for business.

So...anybody think Letang gets the automatic, non-discretionary 10-game suspension?

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official,shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

Last night was another perfect case in point as to why I don't like the Pens. It reminded me so much of Game 2 in 2009 against us. Pens lose, they act like spoiled little brats, throw punches, take cheap shots, etc. They did it against us, they did it last year against Philly and now they're doing it this year against the Isles. They are TERRIBLE losers. Does frustration play a part in it? Sure, but guys like Crosby and Malkin can't act like that for two reasons. One, they're supposed to be the leaders of the team. Coming unglued at the end of every losing game isn't leadership. And two, the NHL wants them to be the faces of the league. Being a sore loser isn't the image that the NHL is striving for.

Don't forget Iginla's unnecessary and potentially dangerous hit at the end of the game. Status quo for him, even moreso as a Penguin now.

Guest Playmaker

As for the series, they'll switch to Vokoun and win the next two games. Fleury was destroyed by the Isles in the regular season (3.60 GAA) too, while Vokoun was a brick wall (0.90 GAA in 3 games). Plus, the NHL won't let their Golden Boy get knocked out by the Isles in the first round. That's not good for business.

They've "let" him get knocked out every year since 2009. Why did "they" let that happen?

MAF is the Grant Fuhr of this decade...?

Wayne Gretzky would tell you that Fuhr was one of the best goalies ever....he's biased though.

On Fleury, he's still young (about the same age as Howard), but I think we've now seen more than enough to assume this isn't due to a young goalie working out the kinks, he has consistently demonstrated that he will be prone to really, really bad goals. Just in the past 4 games, how many goals has he actually scored on himself. There has been at least 4 or 5 that have come from the goal line or below.

Great game by the young stars of NYI. Cheering for you to upset the mighty Pens. Just play free and loose ... MAF is melting down just like last year.

I love it. And I love how the 8th seed is outscoring the Eastern All-Stars.

So...anybody think Letang gets the automatic, non-discretionary 10-game suspension?

Don't forget Iginla's unnecessary and potentially dangerous hit at the end of the game. Status quo for him, even moreso as a Penguin now.

I can't see the vid, did Letang abuse an official? I hope just to test Shanaban, he did and gets a well deserved 10 game ban. That would be amazing!

Wayne Gretzky would tell you that Fuhr was one of the best goalies ever....he's biased though.

On Fleury, he's still young (about the same age as Howard), but I think we've now seen more than enough to assume this isn't due to a young goalie working out the kinks, he has consistently demonstrated that he will be prone to really, really bad goals. Just in the past 4 games, how many goals has he actually scored on himself. There has been at least 4 or 5 that have come from the goal line or below.

At least goalies like Jimmy and His Quickness, the only bad goals are due to them needing to go to the Marty Brodeur school of puckhandling, or Jimmy can just get tips from Dats, but Fleury...god dude, hug the post when it goes behind the net. Or better yet, don't, and we'll keep having good laughs at his expense.

At least goalies like Jimmy and His Quickness, the only bad goals are due to them needing to go to the Marty Brodeur school of puckhandling, or Jimmy can just get tips from Dats, but Fleury...god dude, hug the post when it goes behind the net. Or better yet, don't, and we'll keep having good laughs at his expense.

Exactly, Fleury is letting in bad goals that are pure fundamental flaws...a kid could save them, hug your post.

In what has to be some of the least surprising news of the day, Bylsma announces today that Vokoun will start Game 5. Will be very interesting to see what the score is with swiss-cheese Fleury out of the picture.

In what has to be some of the least surprising news of the day, Bylsma announces today that Vokoun will start Game 5. Will be very interesting to see what the score is with swiss-cheese Fleury out of the picture.

I'm actually very surprised by this. This makes going back to Fleury later a challenge, but I suspect they will, hope that he gets his confidence back.

I dunno, after giving up 40 goals in the last 10 playoff games (and that includes at least two good starts from him, with a shutout in Game 1 and one of the games in the Philadelphia series), I think there's no way they couldn't make this change. If they get by the Islanders, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleury start the next series though.

Haven't read through...but...my god Fleury.

The guy can look like one of the best goalies in the world and then look like a complete amateur. I don't think there has ever been another goalie who has been at both sides of the spectrum like he has been.

The closest I can think of is Bill Ranford

Haven't read through...but...my god Fleury.

The guy can look like one of the best goalies in the world and then look like a complete amateur. I don't think there has ever been another goalie who has been at both sides of the spectrum like he has been.

I don't understand Fleury's game. The worst part is that I really thought that would happen to him in both the 2008 and 2009 Cup Finals, but other than exiting the tunnel in his first game, he was actually pretty steady in both Finals. He's crazy agile as a goalkeeper, but he just looks hexed with terrible mental lapses or something. So much mockery towards Bryzgalov ever since his 24/7 appearance, but Fleury has been terrible in two consecutive Playoff series now, and the worst of it is that he's wasting an even better team. Fleury's regular season numbers the past 3 seasons have been solid and almost identical from year-to-year, then comes April and May and he's knocking stuff into his own net.

Edited by StormJH1

I don't understand Fleury's game. The worst part is that I really thought that would happen to him in both the 2008 and 2009 Cup Finals, but other than exiting the tunnel in his first game, he was actually pretty steady in both Finals. He's crazy agile as a goalkeeper, but he just looks hexed with terrible mental lapses or something. So much mockery towards Bryzgalov ever since his 24/7 appearance, but Fleury has been terrible in two consecutive Playoff series now, and the worst of it is that he's wasting an even better team. Fleury's regular season numbers the past 3 seasons have been solid and almost identical from year-to-year, then comes April and May and he's knocking stuff into his own net.

Time for sports psychologist?

oof. bad 2nd goal by Nabby.

And someone needs to make a gif of Orpik crumpled on the ice like his spine got snapped in half after getting hit, looking up and realizing there's no penalty, then hopping up and rejoining the play.

I don't want the Pens to win, but I've always kinda liked Vokoun. I'm conflicted.

It looked like he skated through his right arm. Didn't see any contact with the head but I only saw the replay once. The difference between watching Fleury and Vokoun is clear: confidence. Vokoun looks comfortable against the Islanders.

It looked like he skated through his right arm. Didn't see any contact with the head but I only saw the replay once. The difference between watching Fleury and Vokoun is clear: confidence. Vokoun looks comfortable against the Islanders.

Agreed. Full speed I thought he skated through and got his head, but on the replay it looked more like the arm he had sticking out. Still a crap play.

The NHL in general needs to protect goalies from getting run like that.

And Vokoun definitely has provided stability to the Pens tonight.

oof. bad 2nd goal by Nabby.

And someone needs to make a gif of Orpik crumpled on the ice like his spine got snapped in half after getting hit, looking up and realizing there's no penalty, then hopping up and rejoining the play.

I don't want the Pens to win, but I've always kinda liked Vokoun. I'm conflicted.

I've seen a lot of this game so far, but not all....only saw the Murray goal....awful. I did see the Orpik thing, thought he dove, but he's not really the type. The other thing to think about is that he missed some time at the end of the year, including the first game or two of this series with some lower body injury apparently. He might have tweaked something there...he went off to the bench slowly after that.

It's time's like this that I like being in Canada and watching on TSN....don't have to sit through an NBC telecast.

The Pens have looked better with Vokoun thats for sure. So far, the only teams that have really impressed me has been Chicago and the Sharks. If the Pens can get rolling with Vokoun, it will remind me of the Wings when they won the cup in 2008 by booting Hasek for Osgood.