• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#161 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

At least goalies like Jimmy and His Quickness, the only bad goals are due to them needing to go to the Marty Brodeur school of puckhandling, or Jimmy can just get tips from Dats, but Fleury...god dude, hug the post when it goes behind the net.  Or better yet, don't, and we'll keep having good laughs at his expense.

Exactly, Fleury is letting in bad goals that are pure fundamental flaws...a kid could save them, hug your post.

#162 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

In what has to be some of the least surprising news of the day, Bylsma announces today that Vokoun will start Game 5.  Will be very interesting to see what the score is with swiss-cheese Fleury out of the picture.

#163 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

In what has to be some of the least surprising news of the day, Bylsma announces today that Vokoun will start Game 5.  Will be very interesting to see what the score is with swiss-cheese Fleury out of the picture.

I'm actually very surprised by this.  This makes going back to Fleury later a challenge, but I suspect they will, hope that he gets his confidence back.

#164 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I dunno, after giving up 40 goals in the last 10 playoff games (and that includes at least two good starts from him, with a shutout in Game 1 and one of the games in the Philadelphia series), I think there's no way they couldn't make this change.  If they get by the Islanders, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleury start the next series though.

#165 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Haven't read through...but...my god Fleury.

The guy can look like one of the best goalies in the world and then look like a complete amateur. I don't think there has ever been another goalie who has been at both sides of the spectrum like he has been.

#166 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

The guy can look like one of the best goalies in the world and then look like a complete amateur. I don't think there has ever been another goalie who has been at both sides of the spectrum like he has been.

The closest I can think of is Bill Ranford

#167 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't understand Fleury's game.  The worst part is that I really thought that would happen to him in both the 2008 and 2009 Cup Finals, but other than exiting the tunnel in his first game, he was actually pretty steady in both Finals.  He's crazy agile as a goalkeeper, but he just looks hexed with terrible mental lapses or something.  So much mockery towards Bryzgalov ever since his 24/7 appearance, but Fleury has been terrible in two consecutive Playoff series now, and the worst of it is that he's wasting an even better team.  Fleury's regular season numbers the past 3 seasons have been solid and almost identical from year-to-year, then comes April and May and he's knocking stuff into his own net.

Edited by StormJH1, 08 May 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#168 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I don't understand Fleury's game.  The worst part is that I really thought that would happen to him in both the 2008 and 2009 Cup Finals, but other than exiting the tunnel in his first game, he was actually pretty steady in both Finals.  He's crazy agile as a goalkeeper, but he just looks hexed with terrible mental lapses or something.  So much mockery towards Bryzgalov ever since his 24/7 appearance, but Fleury has been terrible in two consecutive Playoff series now, and the worst of it is that he's wasting an even better team.  Fleury's regular season numbers the past 3 seasons have been solid and almost identical from year-to-year, then comes April and May and he's knocking stuff into his own net.

Time for sports psychologist?

#169 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

The closest I can think of is Bill Ranford

From this:

patrick_roy_with_conn_smythe_trophy_6_9_

to this:

nhl_zoom.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#170 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

oof. bad 2nd goal by Nabby.

And someone needs to make a gif of Orpik crumpled on the ice like his spine got snapped in half after getting hit, looking up and realizing there's no penalty, then hopping up and rejoining the play.

I don't want the Pens to win, but I've always kinda liked Vokoun. I'm conflicted.

#171 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nice goal by Crosby. The wheels are coming off for the Isles.

And I had to mute the tv because McGuire was so excited on the Crosby goal it was making me uncomfortable.

Kunitz just ran Nabokov and may have hit him in the head.

#172 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

It looked like he skated through his right arm.  Didn't see any contact with the head but I only saw the replay once.  The difference between watching Fleury and Vokoun is clear: confidence.  Vokoun looks comfortable against the Islanders.

#173 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

It looked like he skated through his right arm.  Didn't see any contact with the head but I only saw the replay once.  The difference between watching Fleury and Vokoun is clear: confidence.  Vokoun looks comfortable against the Islanders.

Agreed.  Full speed I thought he skated through and got his head, but on the replay it looked more like the arm he had sticking out.  Still a crap play. 

The NHL in general needs to protect goalies from getting run like that.

And Vokoun definitely has provided stability to the Pens tonight.

#174 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

oof. bad 2nd goal by Nabby.

And someone needs to make a gif of Orpik crumpled on the ice like his spine got snapped in half after getting hit, looking up and realizing there's no penalty, then hopping up and rejoining the play.

I don't want the Pens to win, but I've always kinda liked Vokoun. I'm conflicted.

I've seen a lot of this game so far, but not all....only saw the Murray goal....awful.  I did see the Orpik thing, thought he dove, but he's not really the type.  The other thing to think about is that he missed some time at the end of the year, including the first game or two of this series with some lower body injury apparently.  He might have tweaked something there...he went off to the bench slowly after that.

It's time's like this that I like being in Canada and watching on TSN....don't have to sit through an NBC telecast.

#175 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

The Pens have looked better with Vokoun thats for sure.  So far, the only teams that have really impressed me has been Chicago and the Sharks.  If the Pens can get rolling with Vokoun, it will remind me of the Wings when they won the cup in 2008 by booting Hasek for Osgood.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#176 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

The Pens have looked better with Vokoun thats for sure.  So far, the only teams that have really impressed me has been Chicago and the Sharks.  If the Pens can get rolling with Vokoun, it will remind me of the Wings when they won the cup in 2008 by booting Hasek for Osgood.

My guess...if they get by NYI, they probably go back to Fleury in game 1 of round 2.

Edit....shorter leash though

Edited by toby91_ca, 09 May 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#177 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I knew McGuire was a goofball.  He didn't bother me as much as he does a lot of people, but I didn't fully appreciate how biased he is for the Pens.

It's getting chippy at the end of the game here and all Pierre is pointing out is the Isles players actions towards the Pens.

Vokoun with the shutout.

#178 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Looks like I didn't miss anything game 5. Besides a crushing.

I was hoping the Vokoun switch wouldn't have worked.

Dang

#179 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

Nice goal by Crosby.

It was a nice goal by Crosby, but its all over NHL.com this morning like its the greatest goal in history.  Including a full page sickeningly hagiographic article.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#180 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

It was a nice goal by Crosby, but its all over NHL.com this morning like its the greatest goal in history.  Including a full page sickeningly hagiographic article.

It wasn't nearly as nice as the goal by Pav against the Preds this year.