• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

WCQF Game 1 GDT : Red Wings 1, at Ducks 3. (Anaheim leads, 1-0)

Rate this topic

If the Redwings from last week show up.... we win.

Looking at a lot of these posts Im not sure how being a fan can be fun for a lot of you, and why werent you in here moaning Saturday night.

Agreed.

Cause I was out drinking and celebrating the fact that we kept the playoff streak alive.

Anaheim was the better team last night, but when it was 1-1 it could've went either way and Kindl had a brain fart and gave the Ducks the PP and that was it.

I'd like to see Bert back in, we need more size and cycle game down low.

Yea, I am not concerned in the slightest. This is going to be a long series. I predicted a 7 game series at the start with the Wings coming out on top.

I'm of the same opinion. I thought they should've won the game, but it reminded me more of those Detroit games you'd see 10 or 15 years ago where we'd seem to carry the game and then some goalie like Khabibulin would shut us down. I don't even know what the numbers say, but we had the puck possession going and the defense was mostly solid. I actually thought Kindl played well. DeKeyeser looked mostly good, though he got absolutely thrown off the puck a few times behind the net, and I believe a few of those led to really good scoring chances.

As a Detroit fan, I'm fairly content with what I saw, but remain concerned about the lack of reliable scoring. But this has been basically true of the Wings since the '09 Playoffs, when we were carried by guys like Cleary.

If I were an Anaheim fan, I'd be happy with the Game 1 win, but recognizing that a split at home would be "advantage Detroit" in a lot of ways, I'd be concerned with how much they had to rely on Hiller and how little sustained offensive pressure they had.

Guest The Axe

My take on things:

1) the wings were nervous - Ericsson was fumbling around like it was his first playoff game. Smith was sloppy with the puck as well. I know this will improve in game 2.

2) Howard has to make that save on Selanne. Doesn't matter why. We are missing 2 snipers and have an invisible floating player half the games (see #3). Jimmy needs to stop all shots he sees.

3) Franzen is worthless if he isn't going to hit. The one guy that can make a difference in this series is Franzen. And he doesn't have to do it scoring. I expect the one hand / 10 feet away poke check from Filppula, but if Nyquist and Eaves are going to bump guys along the boards, then 93 better pull his head out real quick and do the same. We need Franzen to be a bytch to play against. Last night, he was just a little bytch.

4) Hell yah, Red Wings. Anaheim was 3rd in pts this year. They are a good measuring stick for us. And I'm liking the way we are measuring up. I honestly don't believe they are a better team than us in a year when we've cleaned up our garbage, added a sniper, and got the youngsters another year under their belts. We might lose this series, but I guarantee we won't lose to Anaheim next year.

BTW, I was preaching the last two years that we should try to pull Selanne away from the Ducks. You gotta have a guy like that who can find the corners. Brunner is not that guy yet.

I thought the Wings played good enough to win, and Hiller just wasn't going to let it happen.

A few people on this board should really reflect on their opinions before they express them. They scream the Wings will be a lottery pick at the beginning of year. Then when that changed, we are just going to be medicore, then we won't make the playoffs. Now we do make the playoffs, those same people previously stating we won't do anything, are now complaining about us losing Game 1, against the number 2 seed, at their rink, and with a terrible line up and combos all year long (according to majority of the board). So which is it, is it SC worthy and under achieving or is it a lottery team that is over achieving?

last night was a great game! yes we lost, but it was a great game Close score and other than a win, that is all we can hope for. That of course was the plus side. The negative side is, last night showed all of our issues as a team once again. Not enough offense. other than our top line there is no fear by any other team that they will get scored on. Lines 2-4 provide us with nothing. Once again we were also shown to be too small and not physical enough. Even datsyuk who is one of the strongest skaters in the game was on the ice at least 5 times. Never mind the number of times Filppula, Nyquist etc... were all knocked down. Once again Franzen proves he is a part time player. Did he even cross the Ducks blueline ion the first 2 periods? seriously dude, you are 6-3/225 get paid to produce. DO IT! As for the D, yes they made some mistakes. For half of our D it was their first playoff game, those guys will get better. I thought Dekeyser looked good and I thought Kronwall looked really bad.

Howard of course looked average! LOL. If it wasn't for him they would have scored 2-3 more goals than they did.

All in all though, it was still a great game. 0-0 at even strength, that is close on the score board, and in the end, that is what matters the most. We still have a chance to win 1 on the road and flip the home ice advantage, which is a must when you are the lower seed. Game 2 is the key to the series. We win and we have a chance. We lose and the series is about over.

Every game, someone wins and someone loses. One team always plays at least a little better than the other. This time they won next time who knows, losing game 1 isn't the end of the world.

We all knew game 1 would be the hardest because the ducks are opening on home ice. I expect a slight let off from them and a big push from us on tuesday

Guest RedWingsDad

We got outplayed, and deserved to lose. Sure, we had some desperation chances, but rarely got setup in the zone. The Ducks did a great job of not giving us any space and we weren't able to overcome it. I hope we insert Sammy and Bert next game... we need their size and poise. I know it's a gamble because of their conditioning... but I think it's the best option. Drop Eaves and Brunner.

Wings really struggled clearing their zone last night, to many bad passes.seemed like the majority of the game was in the Wings end. I think they will come out with more intensity next game, and even up the series. Going to be a long series regardless.

Guest The Axe

One thing I noticed last night was Quincey holding onto the puck too long then making an outlet pass to a covered player leading to a turnover. I haven't noticed him making that mistake before, bit its easy to fix. I'm going to look for that to be different in game 2. I think nerves got to us a bit last night. The team didn't look as smooth as it had.

Wings really struggled clearing their zone last night, to many bad passes.seemed like the majority of the game was in the Wings end. I think they will come out with more intensity next game, and even up the series. Going to be a long series regardless.

You beat me to it. That's pretty much what I thought. The Ducks created it, so I will give them credit. But I thought we could have been more poised, as well.

I wouldn't make any changes to the line up, the team has been playing well together for the last few weeks. Just because they lost tonight doesn't mean we need even a small shake up.

Unless of course we are dropping Cleary, I'm always in support of that. I do have to give the devil his due; Cleary played better then expected for sure, but of course he would have a goal like that.

Guest Crymson

He should still play. He has the experience and ability to make a difference. He's not a game changer butwwe need depth. 09 finals. He was absolutely clutch. See him score a goal or two and all the naysayers, yourself included, will disappear.

He scored zero goals in the 2009 finals.

The simple fact is that he's completely out of game shape. More, it's entirely possible---perhaps even likely---that he's being kept out of the lineup as a safety precaution leading up to a buyout.

My take on things:

1) the wings were nervous - Ericsson was fumbling around like it was his first playoff game. Smith was sloppy with the puck as well. I know this will improve in game 2.

2) Howard has to make that save on Selanne. Doesn't matter why. We are missing 2 snipers and have an invisible floating player half the games (see #3). Jimmy needs to stop all shots he sees.

3) Franzen is worthless if he isn't going to hit. The one guy that can make a difference in this series is Franzen. And he doesn't have to do it scoring. I expect the one hand / 10 feet away poke check from Filppula, but if Nyquist and Eaves are going to bump guys along the boards, then 93 better pull his head out real quick and do the same. We need Franzen to be a bytch to play against. Last night, he was just a little bytch.

4) Hell yah, Red Wings. Anaheim was 3rd in pts this year. They are a good measuring stick for us. And I'm liking the way we are measuring up. I honestly don't believe they are a better team than us in a year when we've cleaned up our garbage, added a sniper, and got the youngsters another year under their belts. We might lose this series, but I guarantee we won't lose to Anaheim next year.

BTW, I was preaching the last two years that we should try to pull Selanne away from the Ducks. You gotta have a guy like that who can find the corners. Brunner is not that guy yet.

In regards to #3, there is a real easy way to see what kind of game he is going to bring real early on in the game.

When Franzen comes in on the Wing, and tosses it down the boards like he is flicking a booger he is in Johan mode.

He doesn't chase it down, he doesn't try any moves, he just crosses the blueline standing almost straight up, legs barely moving, and flip goes the puck behind the net!

We he does the things above, then he is in Mule mode!

Edit (clarity):

that last sentence is confusing, I meant when he dumps and chases his own puck (which he started doing late in the game), puts a move on the defender, or is even at least skating hard in the zone, not just coasting!

Edited by Opie

LOL - I've been questioning this roster for 3 damned years now - it was clear Holland wasn't planning for the post-Lidstrom era and was and still is infatuated with guys like Sammy and Bert. Not to mention he gives up 1st round picks for Quincey ( :lol: )

And from what we've seen all year long, they clearly do have depth issues and will continue to have them as long as we rely on older players who are more fragile (or who have a lot of miles on the tires) and players who have ZERO grit (Ericcson/Flip especially).

What other than the last week of the season, has this group done this year to inspire any faith? This isn't 1997. And it sure as hell isn't 2002. Wake up. The Wings barely got into the playoffs in a shortened season, are playing with basically 1/2 of a d-pair and about 4 legit players in the top 6. There are some nice parts, but they lack shooting, physicality and any type of legitimate secondary scoring.

The better team won tonight. End of story. This may be a very quick series unless a completely different Wings team shows up. Open your eyes already.

Yeah I don't get the infatuation with Bert playing either. The guy hasn't played basically at all this year. Same with Helm. Inserting them now will only disrupt things and likely lead to further injury.

I'm not sure where you saw that I thought the Wings were the better team tonight, they weren't but we hung around. We can and will be better in game 2. It's not a 1 game series, it's a 7 game series, plenty of time for momentum to swing the other way.

Problems I saw: Ericsson was too antsy with the puck, Smith was constantly out of position, The 3rd and 2nd lines were miserably unphysical while the ducks ran them every opportunity they could get. I would say sub brunner for bert and bench smith but not for white, he would get demolished in this series.

We were outplayed, but despite the fact that the ducks controlled the puck for most of the game, we still kept their chances to a minimum. We also got enough chances to win the game. Hiller's big saves late are what made the difference.

We all know that its possible to get in his head and get him off his game. If we can get a quick goal or 2 early, we can maybe derail him for the series

I felt like the whole thing started bad.

1. NBC Sports s***s the bed for non-regional Wings/Ducks fans.

2. We looked like we were trying to coast after 4 very tough games to make the playoffs, its like the guys had an emotional release and thought, "ok now we are in, lets do this" rather than treating it like they did the 4 games previous.

3. Our passing looked VERY un Detroit-like, especially having so many turnovers in the neutral zone... our passing is usually a lot more crisp and accurate, hitting the recipient on the tape.

Hopefully this sparks the guys to think they need to get back into do-or-die mode. Not just wait for game 4 down 0 and 3. Act like its do-or-die right now, in game 2.

We got outplayed, and deserved to lose. Sure, we had some desperation chances, but rarely got setup in the zone. The Ducks did a great job of not giving us any space and we weren't able to overcome it. I hope we insert Sammy and Bert next game... we need their size and poise. I know it's a gamble because of their conditioning... but I think it's the best option. Drop Eaves and Brunner.

you lost me with "insert Sammy". the guy will not last a game without getting another injury

Bringing in one grinder and taking another one out would fix the problem for sure. :sleepy: Cleary played well last night, even if the goal was a lucky shot he deserves credit for being in the right spot at the right time. Thats whats Homer getting credited for though.

I really don't understand some of you guys. We lost a game 1 of a possible 7 game series 2:1 and you are acting like its first game of the season against the Blues. What did you expect ? That we sweep them in 4 ? There are not in 2nd place for nothing. Maybe it would be wise to bring in Bert but for whom ? Only possibiltiy I can think of is Eaves. Any other player would be a risk (Top-two-lines) or just change a grinder for a grinder ( Tootoo, Cleary)

I've wanted Cleary out of the line up long before this. And Tuzzi would add size we need bad. Take out Emmerton for a game. Move Franzen to 2nd C, Flip 3rd and Andersson 4th. Helm would be an improvement over a lot of guys cause he can match speed with Cogliano and no one else on our team can.

I felt like the whole thing started bad.

1. NBC Sports s***s the bed for non-regional Wings/Ducks fans.

2. We looked like we were trying to coast after 4 very tough games to make the playoffs, its like the guys had an emotional release and thought, "ok now we are in, lets do this" rather than treating it like they did the 4 games previous.

3. Our passing looked VERY un Detroit-like, especially having so many turnovers in the neutral zone... our passing is usually a lot more crisp and accurate, hitting the recipient on the tape.

Hopefully this sparks the guys to think they need to get back into do-or-die mode. Not just wait for game 4 down 0 and 3. Act like its do-or-die right now, in game 2.

In regards to NBC Sports. I have Direct TV and Direct TV guide said last night's Wings game was gonna be NBCSN and also Fox Sports Detroit. At puck drop last night everything was blacked out. I called Direct TV and was told the broadcaster can black out games. However when the Wild vs. Chicago game got over, the Wings vs. Ducks came on NBCSN. Is this gonna be the norm for non-regional Wings games for this year's playoffs?