• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
55fan

Playoff traditions/superstitions

Rate this topic

Hockey fans are a superstitious lot. I do the bracelets, never wear red on game day unless it's Wings gear (all season), avoid the unlucky purple t-shirt on game day (all season), and have as my wallpaper a picture of the last Wing to score a goal.

I'm all set. The stuff for the bracelets is set out, Ericsson is looking very handsome on my desktop, and unlucky clothing has been banished.

I also have a stash of Vernor's in the fridge, but that's a tradition rather than a superstition.

What do you do?

I have discovered that unless I am actually at a game, I bring terrible luck if I start the game in Wings gear. If I'm watching and we're behind after two periods, I will grab my Lang jersey, but since I work evenings four days a week, I'm usually at work, and my work is not good for keeping clothing in good condition, so no Wings gear there.

I have discovered that unless I am actually at a game, I bring terrible luck if I start the game in Wings gear. If I'm watching and we're behind after two periods, I will grab my Lang jersey, but since I work evenings four days a week, I'm usually at work, and my work is not good for keeping clothing in good condition, so no Wings gear there.

same here, but that is why i like 10-1030 games :)

I set up a playoff shrine on my entertainment center above the TV after the regular season is over but before the playoffs start using pom poms from playoff games I've been to.

I don't wear black Wings shirts to watch games.

I wear the same thing to watch the game, including socks, as long as the Wings are winning. If they lose, that attire is taken out of rotation and a new outfit is chosen.

The same applies to shower products - same soap or body wash and shampoo until they lose.

If I post in the GDT and they lose, I will not post in the next GDT.

If I'm watching the game with other people, red Jello shots done at every Wings goal is a must.

I will not wear my Konstantinov jersey -.Wings lose every time I wear it.

I will not record the game, even if I can't watch; the Wings always lose. Even my family has begged me not to record anymore.

Nothing specific, I just have to continue doing whatever I superstitiously feel made the Wings win their last game. I will continue doing this until it results in a loss. This carries over into the playoffs. For example, this last stretch of games it is the ridiculous negative posts in the game day thread. There was a stretch in the mid 90s where I had to give my dog a bath every game day, which was miserable for both myself and the dog. There was another stretch when I was in college where I couldn't eat all game day, but had to drink a six pack of beer during the game. Couldn't start before the game, had to finish the last beer before the "final minute" announcement. I might also add I was 5'1 and weighed about a buck five. Oh, the burdens we carry for our team...

Edit: I also continue a tradition started by my dad in the early 90s that is terribly annoying. Every time we got a power play he would say "we get pp" in his best Russian accent. So...yeah. I still do that. Very quietly. Unless I'm alone, at which point I turn into Ivan Drago.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

I set up a playoff shrine on my entertainment center above the TV after the regular season is over but before the playoffs start using pom poms from playoff games I've been to.

I don't wear black Wings shirts to watch games.

I wear the same thing to watch the game, including socks, as long as the Wings are winning. If they lose, that attire is taken out of rotation and a new outfit is chosen.

The same applies to shower products - same soap or body wash and shampoo until they lose.

If I post in the GDT and they lose, I will not post in the next GDT.

If I'm watching the game with other people, red Jello shots done at every Wings goal is a must.

I will not wear my Konstantinov jersey -.Wings lose every time I wear it.

I will not record the game, even if I can't watch; the Wings always lose. Even my family has begged me not to record anymore.

They seem to have a good record when I record the games. I recorded almost all the games last week

I destroyed my entire backyard in 2009.

That's rough...

I always wear a Wings jersey while watching playoff games. I keep wearing the same jersey until the wings lose a game, then the unlucky jersey gets swapped out for a new one.

I have a wings flag hanging in front of my house all season. It goes up on the first game day of the season, and gets taken down the moment the wings get eliminated. I feel it brings bad luck to the next season to keep up any longer than that. Of course, if the wings win the cup, the flag stays up the entire summer!

Al gets put on his traditional spot next to the TV before the 1st game of the playoffs.

Edited by ACallToArms

Hockey fans are a superstitious lot. I do the bracelets, never wear red on game day unless it's Wings gear (all season), avoid the unlucky purple t-shirt on game day (all season), and have as my wallpaper a picture of the last Wing to score a goal.

I'm all set. The stuff for the bracelets is set out, Ericsson is looking very handsome on my desktop, and unlucky clothing has been banished.

I also have a stash of Vernor's in the fridge, but that's a tradition rather than a superstition.

What do you do?

You can get Vernor's in N. Dak? The last time I visited a friend who lived in Alabama I asked what she wanted me to bring her. 3 cases of Vernor's and 2 sacks of Bate's hamburgers did the trick. Before even asking me how my trip went she insisted on cracking a Vernor's first.

Edited by softshoes

You can get Vernor's in N. Dak? The last time I visited a friend who lived in Alabama I asked what she wanted me to bring her. 3 cases of Vernor's and 2 sacks of Bate's hamburgers did the trick. Before even asking me how my trip went she insisted on cracking a Vernor's first.

We can in certain stores, but it's considered to be "imported" since we are outside of their normal distribution area. It's not in with the regular soda. I found it one day by chance.

They only have 6-packs of cans, and they run about $5 for the 6-pack since they're "imported".

To me, it's worth it.

I always wear a Wings jersey while watching playoff games. I keep wearing the same jersey until the wings lose a game, then the unlucky jersey gets swapped out for a new one.

I have a wings flag hanging in front of my house all season. It goes up on the first game day of the season, and gets taken down the moment the wings get eliminated. I feel it brings bad luck to the next season to keep up any longer than that. Of course, if the wings win the cup, the flag stays up the entire summer!

Al gets put on his traditional spot next to the TV before the 1st game of the playoffs.

Thats exactly what I do, starting with the Stevie Y jersey tonight..here's to hoping I don't have to switch it for a while.

My game day superstitions are as follows:

Listen to Don't Stop Believin' at least once before the game starts

Don't wear red, but also don't wear any of the opponent's colors

Cherry Coke and teriyaki beef jerky during the game

Guest Crymson

I've never subscribed to the idea that I can preternaturally affect events by adherence with or violation of arbitrary rules and rituals.

Have a home Z jersey and an away Shanahan. Only wear the away jersey away and the home jersey home. Bad things happen if I don't. Also no Red Wings shirts that day, also bad news.

As well I always try to play a game of NHL 13 against the opponent on rookie

I know that superstitions are silly but once they're in your head it's difficult to shake the feeling that my arbitrary actions somehow affect the outcome of the game.

I wear a red wings tee to sleep in, wear red wings hoodies but NEVER my jersey while watching games.

I watch overtime on mute. Knock on wood for last minute of any game where we lead by one.

Those are the main ones but like others have said, any random behavior that I deem to be good luck I will continue until a streak ends. And I'd totally grow a playoff beard if I could.

I should also keep being alive since they've made the playoffs every year of my life.