• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MTU_Huskies963

Corey Perry Knee/Kick to Howard

Rate this topic

Corey Perry Knee/Kick on Howard  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In your opninion what should happen? I think the play deserves a fine. A player is just as resbonsible for his skate as he is his stick. While I think it was an accident, he was in complete control of the situation. This is different, then say him getting checked in front of the net, falling, and the skate coming up. He made a reckless descision to lift his leg up in the crease to avoid contact.

It didn't do anything for me and I hate Corey Perry. The radio stations are making a deal out of it here but I don't see it. Yeah he shouldn't be so reckless and it's a dangerous play, but he got his penalty. If he does it a second time then it's a different story and someone like Tootoo should be the s*** out of him.

Edited by Number19

I voted nothing, while I agree he did kick Howard in the mask, I was surprised he got a penalty at all.

He was checked into Howard, I didn't see any intent, but the fact he kicked him in the mask not the chest made all the difference in the world to the Refs.

I thought the refs did a great job of letting them play.

There were a couple of no calls both ways that I could see as frustrating, but I didn't see phantom calls.

When you see the replay, Howard's mask spins around, to me this is akin to Howard losing his mask, the whistle had to be blown.

I thought that was the original whistle was a stop due to his mask, then I was pretty surprised to see a penalty called.

Again, I think if he kicks Howard in the chest, Howard falls, and the refs would have let them play.

I should also note that I use the word kick loosely, I think it was more his leg flailing from the contact from the Wings defender.

No matter how you put it, Perry kicked Howard in the face. Do I think he did it on purpose? No, but he didn't try to avoid it either. That could have been A LOT worse. Watch his skate drag across his shoulder and then catch him in the mask. Howard could have been severely hurt on that play.

It's the same situation when they call the big goalie interference penalties/suspensions, he may not have done it on purpose and had some defense in his way, but the onus is on the player to avoid the contact. The goalie is helpless.

I don't think a suspension is coming or warranted.

I didn't see the Detroit feed, but safe to say, the TSN angle was much different. They were suggesting it was a terrible call. Perry drove the net hard and with Kronwall coming in on him, he tried to jump to avoid getting hit and hitting Howard. The debate during the intermission is whether it should have been a penalty or not.....there wasn't a single person questioning whether it was dirty and should be something more (for reference, most thought it shouldn't have been a penalty).

I orirginally thought it was a bad call and shouldn't have been a penalty and probably still do. The only thing he could have done differently is not drive the net....which I'd never want someone to avoid doing. The only thing you can question is whether he stuck his leg out on purpose. I find it hard to believe he would have done that considering he's got a sharp blade on foot, which could slice someone's throat and kill them. That said, it's possible he wasn't thinking about that, thought he could stick it out and nudge him....not a stretch considering who we are talking about.

No question Howard threw a huge dive in there to get a call though...which I don't like at all. I have more tolerance for goalies, but I still don't like it. It annoys me sometimes how a lot of people on this board yell and scream about divers (Selanne last night) and have excuses for any Wing player that does it. I've noticed Nyquist diving a lot this year and last night as an example.

No question Howard threw a huge dive in there to get a call though...which I don't like at all. I have more tolerance for goalies, but I still don't like it.

I thought so at first too, but there was one particular angle that NBC showed that made me cringe. It showed the skate dragging across the shoulder and then connecting with Howie's mask, knocking it sideways. My instinct would be to flop away from that too.

I pretty much agree with everyone here-clear penalty, time served. I'm not a Perry fan, but what he did wasn't suspension or fine worthy. Although I would love to see him have to eat a bag of flaming dog poo, I will settle for watching the Wings (hopefully) beat the snot out of the Ducks.

I didn't see the Detroit feed, but safe to say, the TSN angle was much different. They were suggesting it was a terrible call. Perry drove the net hard and with Kronwall coming in on him, he tried to jump to avoid getting hit and hitting Howard. The debate during the intermission is whether it should have been a penalty or not.....there wasn't a single person questioning whether it was dirty and should be something more (for reference, most thought it shouldn't have been a penalty).

I orirginally thought it was a bad call and shouldn't have been a penalty and probably still do. The only thing he could have done differently is not drive the net....which I'd never want someone to avoid doing. The only thing you can question is whether he stuck his leg out on purpose. I find it hard to believe he would have done that considering he's got a sharp blade on foot, which could slice someone's throat and kill them. That said, it's possible he wasn't thinking about that, thought he could stick it out and nudge him....not a stretch considering who we are talking about.

No question Howard threw a huge dive in there to get a call though...which I don't like at all. I have more tolerance for goalies, but I still don't like it. It annoys me sometimes how a lot of people on this board yell and scream about divers (Selanne last night) and have excuses for any Wing player that does it. I've noticed Nyquist diving a lot this year and last night as an example.

I don't think Howard was trying to sell it - I think that anyone getting hit in the head is going to instinctively jerk away from the contact. Howie is getting the benefit of any doubt from me in this instance.

I thought so at first too, but there was one particular angle that NBC showed that made me cringe. It showed the skate dragging across the shoulder and then connecting with Howie's mask, knocking it sideways. My instinct would be to flop away from that too.

I pretty much agree with everyone here-clear penalty, time served. I'm not a Perry fan, but what he did wasn't suspension or fine worthy. Although I would love to see him have to eat a bag of flaming dog poo, I will settle for watching the Wings (hopefully) beat the snot out of the Ducks.

cuttingedge_medium.gif

cuttingedge_medium.gif

Seeing the video again, we should probably just be happy that they didn't call Howie for embellishment.

The scary part of that video for me is that the toe of the skate turns the mask and with it the neck guard.

Luckily the blade never made contact, because the neck guard was on the side of his shoulder!

Reckless play by Perry for sure, glad they called a penalty on it but they could just as easily have called nothing. I doubt anything else will come of it, except maybe a few extra whacks with the goalstick next time Perry gets close to the crease.

Also, it didn't look like Howard was trying to embellish anything, he got rocked across the chin with a knee from a pretty big guy who didn't make any effort to avoid contact, looks like a legitimate case of reflexes to me.

Seeing the video again, we should probably just be happy that they didn't call Howie for embellishment.

I thought the contact was pretty incidental last night. I have changed my mind since I have seen how far he dragged his leg out. Why even lift your leg? Just keep skating. F*** Perry!

Not blatantly intentional, so no fine or suspension, but it would be nice if from here on out Tootoo looked at him like he was dessert and threw him off his game. If he has occasion to beat him, great, but just having Perry's head on a swivel is good enough for me and could prove advantageous.

Last time I checked, Hockey was a contact sport. People run into each other. That is still allowed right? Perry didn't do anything wrong, and those that think he did, go watch soccer. he drove the net, while hounded by Kronwall, Perry then tries to jump over Howard and his stick as Kronwall bumps him. When you are in the air and get bumped you lose your balance and yes your arms/legs will flail out to try and regain your balance. Now he touched the G which is a 2 min penalty, and that is what he got. Nothing else to talk about. Stop all the b1tching and whinning. I guarantee you that if Perry was playing for us, everyone would be upset about him getting a penalty.

To answer the question on whether your leg comes out like that when jumping, I'd say, absolutely it does. It's naturally to do that to maintain balance. This about hurdlers as an example of how you jump over something. Having both legs go in a straight line doesn't work so well if you want to land on your feet.

I thought the contact was pretty incidental last night. I have changed my mind since I have seen how far he dragged his leg out. Why even lift your leg? Just keep skating. F*** Perry!

If he had of just kept skating, he would have slammed right into him, he jumped to try and avoid contact.