• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

Right, like I said, I had a feeling there was going to be a lot of people who view it from the other side.

Let me be clear that I am excluding OT winners, first goals, stuff like that.

It is guys like Patrick Kane (who was mentioned) and Tyler Kennedy who make a spectacle out of it every time they score.

You don't really see guys like Crosby, Toews, or Datsyuk celebrate like a maniac everytime they score. Act like you've done it before and you expect to do it again.

But is this a valid point: you see the younger generation of players doing this more so than the older generation?

#22 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

It is guys like Patrick Kane (who was mentioned) and Tyler Kennedy who make a spectacle out of it every time they score.

I hope they both have cancer.

bringit.jpg

#23 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

Has everyone forgotten that this is a game. Games are meant to be fun. God forbid someone shows emotion because he might hurt the feelings of some delicate man on the other team. Celebrate all you want. As long as you are not directly skating to the other teams bench and taunting then who cares. This isnt golf. Its a sport fed by speed and emotion.

And Tatar isnt showboating in an earlier post. Hes pumping the Wings logo. Showboating would be something like point to his nameplate on his back. Why do people keep using this as there go to Wings showboating clip.

Edited by GoalieManPat, 02 May 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#24 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

940-yakupov-8col.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#25 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

The comment about the football celebrations makes me wonder just how ridiculous it would look if somebody tried to do the Ickey Shuffle after scoring a goal, but then an opposing player woul likely reenact the Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon hit before it finished.

As far as the Tatar clip, the guy was emphasizing the Wings logo, not his nameplate. Plus it was his first NHL goal. IMHO he should get a pass.

The Burrows stick snap after his winner to break the Wings' home win streak was a bit bush league, though given the situation I can sort of understand it (though the guy is still a douchenozzle). He could have been more creative.

The Tiger Williams stick ride used to make me laugh, since it was a guy who pretty much never expected to score and seeing a top shelf tough guy showing the joy of a kid was kind of funny to me. I always took it as more of a holy crap I actually scored and it might not happen again then him trying to embarrass the goalie.

Edited by TheXym, 02 May 2013 - 05:53 AM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#26 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

Be happy, hug your teammates, smile big, and enjoy the moment.

You don't have to act like you are the centre of the universe.  Just act like your team is.

Big goals get a pass- Mac in the SCF of '97, Eruzione in '80 Olympics- things like that where the circumstances are huge are reason to celebrate a bit more than the 3rd goal of the 2nd period on a Tuesday in February vs the Panthers.

If it's a natural happiness, be happy.  If you've planned it out, forget it.

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

It's a game. And, for the record, this isn't the first generation to "showboat." In fact, I suspect one reason this generation (whatever that really means) does it is because it/they gew up watching their elders do it.

Also - we don't necessarily know/acknowledge "the real story," or "the full context," around every goal. Maybe Tortorella absolutely tears x guy apart before x game against the Lightning. So maybe his goal in the third period means a lot to him. Might even mean a lot to the team in the big picture, depending on how things are going on several different levels.

Stuff like that.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Also - we take for granted how insanely difficult it is (for most) (i.e. the mortal, non-Datsyuk crowd) to make it to the NHL, let alone hold down a roster spot, let alone score with regularity, etc. Sometimes a guy just needs to *******, without the hookers.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Some of us grew up with Steve Yzerman... Stick in the air meet with your team act like you've been there before! Now of course there are different circumstances, OT in the playoffs huge goals in the third of game 7. But this throw ourself into the glass when we make it 3-0 or this on one knee sliding into the wall when you've had over 100 career goals, give me a break. Act like you've been there and that your going to be there again!
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't mind it at all. I think it's poor sportsmanship, if it bothers you

#31 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I dont like it.  One of my favorite things about Barry Sanders was the class he displayed on the field.  He would score a TD, hand the ball to the ref and walk off the field.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#32 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

Not really showboating, but some of my favorite goal "celebrations".

I am on the fence about eccentric celebrating.  I think it's ok every once in a while, like after scoring a huge goal.  For example, the Yakupov celebration was a little much, but Theo Fleury's was just pure emotion.  

Sometimes it brings a lot of energy to a team I think, and that's never a bad thing.  

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#33 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Some of us grew up with Steve Yzerman... Stick in the air meet with your team act like you've been there before! Now of course there are different circumstances, OT in the playoffs huge goals in the third of game 7. But this throw ourself into the glass when we make it 3-0 or this on one knee sliding into the wall when you've had over 100 career goals, give me a break. Act like you've been there and that your going to be there again!

This is what I was thinking of when I started this thread.

I dont like it.  One of my favorite things about Barry Sanders was the class he displayed on the field.  He would score a TD, hand the ball to the ref and walk off the field.

Thiss too.

#34 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Really, I think the answer is in the title of the thread.

Celebration=ok.

Showboating=no good.

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I love the way Pasha celebrates, he can make opponents absolutely look like beer-league players but never ever does the showboat. I HATE the way guys like Ovechkin, Yakupov, Kadri, Dupuis and Kane are celebrating, stay classy guys!

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#36 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Time and place
Guy scores a goal when the team is up 3-0....it's lame. When you are talking about a series clincher or a OT buzzer beater, then rock the house. I mean, when the wings score a huge goal, I as a fan am jumping off the couch so I can understand the passion.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

Right, like I said, I had a feeling there was going to be a lot of people who view it from the other side.

Let me be clear that I am excluding OT winners, first goals, stuff like that.

You don't really see guys like Crosby, Toews, or Datsyuk celebrate like a maniac everytime they score. Act like you've done it before and you expect to do it again.

But is this a valid point: you see the younger generation of players doing this more so than the older generation?

Yup.

Years ago (talking 1980's) you'd get run at the next shift you took if ya got a little over zealous with your celebration.

I recall watching a Wings game in the late 1990's...Wings were sluggish, played like crap, and were down 4-0...Fedorov scores with a few minutes on the board making it 4-1, and he's dancing around...I recall the displeasure in Mickey's voice as he talks about Feds late game goal.

Not more than 30 seconds later Stevie scores making it 4-2 - however he doesn't show any emotion - he just gives a few "hi-fives" on the ice as he skates to the bench...Seconds later the game ends - however Mickey is still telling the viewing audience "that's how ya do it kids".

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

Edited by Dave, 03 May 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

From Wikipedia:

Billy Reay has been credited as the first person to raise his arms and stick in celebration after scoring a goal.

This was when he was playing for Montreal in the 1945-46 season, following World War II. I remember reading an article in the Toronto Star a few years ago about how the League wanted to inject more emotion following the scoring of a goal. They actually sent a memo to each team, reminding them of the new "celebration".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#40 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Ovechkin somehow comes to mind. As a few other players. The one celebration of.....

Jumping into the boards has become so cliché like in American Football when players after scoring a touchdown run and jump into eachother.