• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

It's all about context.  Brunner's goal last night got a pretty emphatic uppercut.  But the team was hot at the time, and Brunner had been rumored to be a potential scratch candidate, so I don't blame him for being excited about his 1st playoff goal. 

Most of the big "controversial" celebrations never bother me.  They show a clip of the goal and what comes after completely out of context.  The Yakupov thing is the perfect example - they'll show that three years from now and people will be like "why was he celebrating like that for an early meaningless game on a team that missed the playoffs?"  EDM had a goal taken away from them right before that and scored again with like 10 seconds, it was a great moment.  Why not live it up.

The only thing you don't do is the Anisimov thing (rifle/bazooka) where it appears directed at the other team.

#42 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 13,411 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

It's all about context.  Brunner's goal last night got a pretty emphatic uppercut.  But the team was hot at the time, and Brunner had been rumored to be a potential scratch candidate, so I don't blame him for being excited about his 1st playoff goal. 

Most of the big "controversial" celebrations never bother me.  They show a clip of the goal and what comes after completely out of context.  The Yakupov thing is the perfect example - they'll show that three years from now and people will be like "why was he celebrating like that for an early meaningless game on a team that missed the playoffs?"  EDM had a goal taken away from them right before that and scored again with like 10 seconds, it was a great moment.  Why not live it up.

The only thing you don't do is the Anisimov thing (rifle/bazooka) where it appears directed at the other team.

Huge.  Anything seen as a threat beyond scoring more goals than the other team shouldn't be. 

Taunting and things like that are poor sportsmanship, and I hope that the other team silences the celebration by going out and scoring an answering goal.

Threats, even though they're usually in jest, just have too true of a ring nowadays. 

There's a difference between celebrating because you're happy that you did something good for your team and being an ass to your opponent.

In reality, things aren't on fire.  Fire is on things.