• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

It's all about context.  Brunner's goal last night got a pretty emphatic uppercut.  But the team was hot at the time, and Brunner had been rumored to be a potential scratch candidate, so I don't blame him for being excited about his 1st playoff goal. 

Most of the big "controversial" celebrations never bother me.  They show a clip of the goal and what comes after completely out of context.  The Yakupov thing is the perfect example - they'll show that three years from now and people will be like "why was he celebrating like that for an early meaningless game on a team that missed the playoffs?"  EDM had a goal taken away from them right before that and scored again with like 10 seconds, it was a great moment.  Why not live it up.

The only thing you don't do is the Anisimov thing (rifle/bazooka) where it appears directed at the other team.

#42 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

It's all about context.  Brunner's goal last night got a pretty emphatic uppercut.  But the team was hot at the time, and Brunner had been rumored to be a potential scratch candidate, so I don't blame him for being excited about his 1st playoff goal. 

Most of the big "controversial" celebrations never bother me.  They show a clip of the goal and what comes after completely out of context.  The Yakupov thing is the perfect example - they'll show that three years from now and people will be like "why was he celebrating like that for an early meaningless game on a team that missed the playoffs?"  EDM had a goal taken away from them right before that and scored again with like 10 seconds, it was a great moment.  Why not live it up.

The only thing you don't do is the Anisimov thing (rifle/bazooka) where it appears directed at the other team.

Huge.  Anything seen as a threat beyond scoring more goals than the other team shouldn't be. 

Taunting and things like that are poor sportsmanship, and I hope that the other team silences the celebration by going out and scoring an answering goal.

Threats, even though they're usually in jest, just have too true of a ring nowadays. 

There's a difference between celebrating because you're happy that you did something good for your team and being an ass to your opponent.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James