• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
michigan2014

Zetterberg's Future

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Really like this forum btw, seems like its really active and the fans are mostly knowledgeable.

I'm 20 years old, so in my lifetime the Wings have had Yzerman as captain for 14 of those years and Lidstrom for 6. Starting this year, it's been passed on to Zetterberg. I was just wondering how long you guys think Zetterberg's tenure will be here as captain. I'm under the assumption that as long as he is playing and not retired, that Z will remain the captain. My take is that he will last around 6 years like Lids, putting him at nearly 40 by then.

The Wings have had the best captain situation in the past 20+ years, which is part of the reason why in my lifetime we have never missed the playoffs. I really hope it stays that way, and as long as Z is here I'm sure it will. How much longer do you guys see him playing? How much longer can he sustain this high level of play? Thanks

Guest Playmaker

Well, he's under contract for what, another 8 years or so? So, it'll be at least that long. As the Ilitch family seems not to trade or get rid of stars in any way, seems like a sure bet he'll be around awhile. How productive he will be remains to be seen. Personally, I'd like to see more consistency out of him. He seems to go for long stretches without scoring, then will score a bunch in a few games.

Guest The Axe

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Really like this forum btw, seems like its really active and the fans are mostly knowledgeable.

I'm 20 years old, so in my lifetime the Wings have had Yzerman as captain for 14 of those years and Lidstrom for 6. Starting this year, it's been passed on to Zetterberg. I was just wondering how long you guys think Zetterberg's tenure will be here as captain. I'm under the assumption that as long as he is playing and not retired, that Z will remain the captain. My take is that he will last around 6 years like Lids, putting him at nearly 40 by then.

The Wings have had the best captain situation in the past 20+ years, which is part of the reason why in my lifetime we have never missed the playoffs. I really hope it stays that way, and as long as Z is here I'm sure it will. How much longer do you guys see him playing? How much longer can he sustain this high level of play? Thanks

Yup. Smith will take over for Z when he retires at age 40. You can bank on that.

Smith - C

DeKeyser - A

Andersson - A

I think it's safe to say Hank will be wearing the C until he retires. After that I'd like to see Helm wear the badge for a while

I would love to see him healthy enough to wear the badge.

Yup. Smith will take over for Z when he retires at age 40. You can bank on that.

Smith - C

DeKeyser - A

Andersson - A

Bank on that? I would be surprised if any one of those 3 were named captain. Dekeyser probably has the best shot, but the way Smith is playing he might not even be a Wing when Z retires.

When Datsyuk retires and heads back to Russia we will likely find out who the next captain will be. It will be the guy who gets his A.

Welcome. I'm not sure how well his translate into post 35 play...he's smart but small and not as strong as Pavel.

Bank on that? I would be surprised if any one of those 3 were named captain. Dekeyser probably has the best shot, but the way Smith is playing he might not even be a Wing when Z retires.

When Datsyuk retires and heads back to Russia we will likely find out who the next captain will be. It will be the guy who gets his A.

Yea...I don't see Smith getting it. Dekeyser and Andersson, i think, will be leaders. Kronwall is younger than Z...he might get it for a couple years. If I were coach though, it would be Darren Helm. When that kid is healthy he sets the tone with his work ethic and is a clutch playoff performer.

I think it's safe to say Hank will be wearing the C until he retires. After that I'd like to see Helm wear the badge for a while

I was almost kinda hoping Helm would get it after Lidstrom, though Zetterberg does make more sense as captain, I guess.

At this point, I hope Helm can come back at all.

I would be surprised if the next captain of the Wings after Hank hangs 'em up is actually on the roster right now.

I would be surprised if the next captain of the Wings after Hank hangs 'em up is actually on the roster right now.

Danny Cleary. He'll still have a few years left on his next contract by the time Hank calls it quits.

On a more serious and hopeful note, I think Dekeyser has an A or even a C in his future, and hopefully Järnkrok, Nyquist and Tatar will continue developing and atleast one of them become a leader-type guy. Don't see Smith as a captain. Helm is a no-brainer IF he can shake all these injury issues and stay healthy.

Z will be captian as long as he is here. I think Dekeyser will replace him. Go out 5 or 6 years. At that point Dekeyser is 28 or 29 and a vet . he should be ready. Aftr all he is a life long RW fan, from Michigan, and already our best defensive Dman. The O will come later after he gets comfortable. It is a no brainer.

Welcome. I'm not sure how well his translate into post 35 play...he's smart but small and not as strong as Pavel.

Yea...I don't see Smith getting it. Dekeyser and Andersson, i think, will be leaders. Kronwall is younger than Z...he might get it for a couple years. If I were coach though, it would be Darren Helm. When that kid is healthy he sets the tone with his work ethic and is a clutch playoff performer.

Kronwall is only 1 year younger than Z. By the time Z retires Kronwall will be done too.

I know this may seem dumb but maybe Ericsson? His play has improved big time in the last 2 years and if he continues to progress he could be a very good defenseman. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a 'A' on his jersey if Pavel leaves. As others have said if Helm is healthy and comes back strong he is a likely option as well.

Guest The Axe

I just have this feeling Smith will be our #1 in 3 years. He has the moxy the other guys don't.

Alfredsson was able to translate his game after 35, and I think he's a similar player to Zetterberg. For me it's all about making sure his role evolves to fit his diminished skill set. Move him to the third line, to provide leadership and secondary (or tertiary) scoring while the young kids do the work, and I believe he could skill be effective at 39 or 40...but not much further.

Smith - C

DeKeyser - A

Andersson - A

I think Helm or Abdelkader would get a letter before Andersson