• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

While I have given MacLean a hard time over the years, at least I have the guts to say it in person (just the Walrus stuff, and just the look, not the "fat walrus" BS). He's a good guy and seeing him for years in Quad City I got to meet him a few times. I even asked if he hated the Walrus comparison. He said something on the order of 'no, I'm the one who grows it' lol

Edited by thegerkin, 03 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#22 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I don't blame Prust for being pissed, but he does sound ignorant. I honestly thought MacLean came off like a huge ass last night. Sure, it's a dangerous pass, but it hardly excuses the actions of your player.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#23 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

DOPPELEL.jpg

Wait a minute, Prust insulted this other guy too!  

Two of Babcock's former assistant coaches are in the playoffs.  We have a pretty good culture of producing solid coaches.

I must say that I am impressed with what MacLean has done in Ottawa. I was pretty surprised even last year but this year ... wow.  He seriously deserves Jack Adams consideration for getting into the playoffs with their number of injuries. He must have implemented a solid system.  

He's a good coach!

Edited by RedWingsRox, 03 May 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#24 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think Prust has Avery Syndrome, gotta find ways to draw attention to himself outside of throwing his fists around and trying to act like a hockey player.

...I do definitely see the Walrus resemblance though I won't lie. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#25 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Prust, Paul MacLean did more in Moline, IL than you could hope to do the rest of your NHL career.  Including your AHL pit stop in Moline.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#26 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,834 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Therrien whining again, love it. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

MacLean has to remember that he's coaching Ottawa, not Montreal.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

its funny reading all the hate on prust here. if he had said it about a coach that didn't have such strong ties to detroit, there wouldn't even be a thread about it.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

its funny reading all the hate on prust here. if he had said it about a coach that didn't have such strong ties to detroit, there wouldn't even be a thread about it.

I generally like Prust. Was bummed when he signed with the Habs and not here.

But it was a pretty stupid comment, on several levels. One of them being, "HEY. LOOK AT ME. I DON'T CARE AT ALL. LOOK HOW MUCH I DON'T CARE."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

DOPPELEL.jpg

Wait a minute, Prust insulted this other guy too!  

Two of Babcock's former assistant coaches are in the playoffs.  We have a pretty good culture of producing solid coaches.

I must say that I am impressed with what MacLean has done in Ottawa. I was pretty surprised even last year but this year ... wow.  He seriously deserves Jack Adams consideration for getting into the playoffs with their number of injuries. He must have implemented a solid system.  

He's a good coach!

and we were injury free? By that method of thinking, Babs definitely deserves it, we did have the most man games lost.

I generally like Prust. Was bummed when he signed with the Habs and not here.

But it was a pretty stupid comment, on several levels. One of them being, "HEY. LOOK AT ME. I DON'T CARE AT ALL. LOOK HOW MUCH I DON'T CARE."

His coach isn't any better, it's like when you see an ignorant child, and think wow there parents can't be happy with that language, and then their mom comes out and joins in on the ignorance... yup just like that

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

and we were injury free? By that method of thinking, Babs definitely deserves it, we did have the most man games lost.

His coach isn't any better, it's like when you see an ignorant child, and think wow there parents can't be happy with that language, and then their mom comes out and joins in on the ignorance... yup just like that

Sens lost key players. Spezza, Karlsson, Anderson. The equivalent for us would be something like Howard, Kronwall, Datsyuk.

Definitely not the biggest Therrien fan.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Sens lost key players. Spezza, Karlsson, Anderson. The equivalent for us would be something like Howard, Kronwall, Datsyuk.

Definitely not the biggest Therrien fan.

how about Lidstrom, Stuart, Filppula, Helm, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Gustavsson, Quincey... but I guess we lost no key players right...

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,834 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

MacLean also was asked about his war of words with the Canadiens and coach Michel Therrien, who took offense to MacLean referring to Raphael Diaz as "No. 61."Brandon Prust also made waves when he referred to MacLean as a "bug-eyed fat walrus."

"I don't even know who No. 61 is on my team," MacLean said, joking. "Are you going to hold that against me? There are an awful lot of number combinations and different names. If I hurt [Therrien's] feelings, oh my gosh, I apologize for that. If that's the battle of words, I don't see that. I'm working hard to coach my own team.

"[As for Prust], well … 'bug-eyed,' I've never been called that before. That's a new one. 'Walrus?' That’s too easy. But I'll tell you one thing: I'm not fat. I might be husky, but I'm not fat. So I took offense to that."

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#34 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

You see, Prust?  If you were a little more thoughtful and called him a bug-eyed husky walrus, then there'd have been no problems at all!

#35 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I liked MacLean's response to Prust, haha. 

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

He called Diaz "player who wears #61", said that it was Diaz's fault for Eller getting destroyed (which it was). Said that you should be mindful of sending a pass in the middle of the ice, because it's a dangerous area of the ice. Basically, everything he said was absolutely true, but shouldn't had been said directly to the media. He could've responded with, "no comment."

Answering everything with "no comment" is why no one learns anything watching hockey anymore aside from a visual aid of learning what a "suicide pass" is and dad saying to his kid...keep your head up bud and don't send those passes up the middle to your teammates when they're in coverage. 

Seeing as Diaz is a professional hockey player, he should have known better to make that pass.  Gryba is WAY bigger than Eller and Diaz had to have seen him skating straight towards Eller in anticipation of that pass.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.