The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Pittsburgh
Boston
Chicago

I honestly believe the Red Wings are the 4th best team in the league right now.

#2 Sabaton617

Sabaton617

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

If you mean which teams we would be likely to beat in a 7 game series, I wouldn't rank them that high.  I don't know enough about Eastern Conference teams to judge how we stack up against them but for argument sake I will agree with you that Pitts. and Boston are better.  The only teams in the West that I would favor them against are Vancouver and Minnesota.  We are in the middle of the pack.

#3 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

If you mean which teams we would be likely to beat in a 7 game series, I wouldn't rank them that high.  I don't know enough about Eastern Conference teams to judge how we stack up against them but for argument sake I will agree with you that Pitts. and Boston are better.  The only teams in the West that I would favor them against are Vancouver and Minnesota.  We are in the middle of the pack.

I would put Minnesota higher if Backstrom didn't get injured.  They just aren't scoring right now either.  As for who would win a 7 game series, I agree that I think the Wings are in the middle of the pack.  I think that Chicago is the real deal.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#4 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I definitely think Chicago is a better team than us, but I have a feeling that we'll beat them in a series if we met.

There would be no pressure on the Wings at all having already done better than last year while rebuilding the roster, and without Lidstom. Combine that with facing a team that swept us in the regular season and who were far and away the best team in the league, nobody would be playing under pressure for us at all.

That can be a dangerous thing in a playoff series especially for a goalie, and considering its the last time we'd meet as division rivals i'm sure the Wings would love nothing more than to head over to the east after ruining Chicago's dream season.

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm not convinced the Wings could beat any of those teams.

Particularly now that DeKeyser is out, I'm not sure the Wings would be able to stop high scoring teams like Pitt and Chi.

Posted Image

#6 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

It's Chicago's cup to lose.

bringit.jpg

#7 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Pittsburgh
Boston
Chicago

I honestly believe the Red Wings are the 4th best team in the league right now.

I edited the thread title to clarify what I think you meant.

You're asking what teams are better than the Wings, correct?  And not which of the teams you listed are better than the others?

#8 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I edited the thread title to clarify what I think you meant.

You're asking what teams are better than the Wings, correct?  And not which of the teams you listed are better than the others?

Yah. That works.

#9 michigan2014

michigan2014

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

It's Chicago's cup to lose.

It's LA's cup

#10 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

It's LA's cup

LA is getting their poetic justice, getting swept by the blues, after they swept the blues last year.

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,152 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sort of a cliche at this point, but: depends which Wings team we're talking about.

The Pens and 'hawks, at least, are better than us. Period. Maybe we could take 'em, but it'd be a brutal seven games. None of us would be able to lift the Cup. :unhappy:

The Bruins don't scare me, for whatever reason(s). I guess I see something of the Wings in them, namely the frustration factor. ("Which Bruins team will we see tonight?")

We've been pretty heinous about taking penalties. The Caps PP would probably eat us alive, though we're probably the better team overall.

The Sharks will always beat us. No, shut up. They win, we lose. It's just the way it is.

Canucks suck.

The Wild are the weakest team in the West. Harding is a great story, and you know I'm rooting my heart out for them in this series. But come on.

Actuallly, the Wild would probably sweep us. Just because that's how it is with us.

The Rangers are generally embarrasing. So they would beat us in three. Who's their worst player? He would destroy us.

The Habs have major head problems - but if they can get clicking, they're a very dangerous team. Subban is the best defenseman in the league, world. The size thing is overblown. Prust and Moen have more scare-factorage between them than everyone on our team combined.

The Leafs would goon us into oblivion. Though, can I just say, I don't understand how Kessel can be pretty much a point-per-game player but curl up and die every time he has to go up against Chara.

We would kill the Islanders. Kill them to death.

Kings are better than us, but we seem to handle them pretty well. When Dustin Brown is serving a suspension.

The Blues suck, but it's that weird Hitchcockian good-kind-of-suck. I imagine they'd beat us in six or seven-ish. Don't look at me like that. Big, mean, brusing, grinding, defense-centric teams with hot goalies own us in the postseason. Bouwmeester would score, like, nine goals in two games. Just because.

God I hate the Penguins.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hawks, Ducks, Blues, Kings, Canucks, Bruins, Pittsburgh and Rangers at least with DannyK out

Sent from my BlackBerry

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#13 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,152 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Seriously, though, the Rangers are terrible. You know how we play when we suck? They always play like that.

It's just, they have Callahan, Girardi, Lundquist. And sometimes Nash. And Richards, if he feels like it.

They don't scare me at all.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#14 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Blackhawks
Blues
Penguins
Bruins

Those four teams I couldn't see the Red Wings beating in a playoff series. Blues and Bruins are too big, Blackhawks and Penguins too skilled.

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Blackhawks
Blues
Penguins
Bruins

Those four teams I couldn't see the Red Wings beating in a playoff series. Blues and Bruins are too big, Blackhawks and Penguins too skilled.

You can see us beating San Hosay?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hawks, Ducks, Blues, Kings, Canucks, Bruins, Pittsburgh and Rangers at least with DannyK out

Sent from my BlackBerry

kings, no not at all, we could take them in 6. Ducks, c'mon we are proving to be a very good match for them, not to mention lots of analysts have us picked to win in 6. penguins, no, they just don't seem to do as well with hwsnbn back in the lineup, too many captains on one team, they are a good team, but as soon as he came back to the lineup the isles beat them. Canucks? hands down we are the better team. Rangers? that is laughable at  best, too many skilled forwards has turned them all into floaters, we would win in 5

#17 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

a vdie hard fan would say not one team is better sadly thought there are and its chi and pits

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

a vdie hard fan would say not one team is better sadly thought there are and its chi and pits

chicago maybe, but we can handle s***sburgh

#19 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

chicago maybe, but we can handle s***sburgh

It's interesting because I like Bylsma and generally think he's a good coach but multiple times in the playoffs now the Pens have gotten caught up in a run and gun mentality and it ends up costing them games.  A big part of that blame has to be on coaching.

Unless he's operating on the theory that Fleury will always let in a couple so Pittsburgh's strategy is to outgun their opponents rather than try to lock it down defensively?

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's interesting because I like Bylsma and generally think he's a good coach but multiple times in the playoffs now the Pens have gotten caught up in a run and gun mentality and it ends up costing them games.  A big part of that blame has to be on coaching.

Unless he's operating on the theory that Fleury will always let in a couple so Pittsburgh's strategy is to outgun their opponents rather than try to lock it down defensively?

they can't beat ourdefense enough to make up for their lack thereof