Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Which Teams are Better than the Wings?

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Pittsburgh

Boston

Chicago

I honestly believe the Red Wings are the 4th best team in the league right now.

If you mean which teams we would be likely to beat in a 7 game series, I wouldn't rank them that high. I don't know enough about Eastern Conference teams to judge how we stack up against them but for argument sake I will agree with you that Pitts. and Boston are better. The only teams in the West that I would favor them against are Vancouver and Minnesota. We are in the middle of the pack.

If you mean which teams we would be likely to beat in a 7 game series, I wouldn't rank them that high. I don't know enough about Eastern Conference teams to judge how we stack up against them but for argument sake I will agree with you that Pitts. and Boston are better. The only teams in the West that I would favor them against are Vancouver and Minnesota. We are in the middle of the pack.

I would put Minnesota higher if Backstrom didn't get injured. They just aren't scoring right now either. As for who would win a 7 game series, I agree that I think the Wings are in the middle of the pack. I think that Chicago is the real deal.

I definitely think Chicago is a better team than us, but I have a feeling that we'll beat them in a series if we met.

There would be no pressure on the Wings at all having already done better than last year while rebuilding the roster, and without Lidstom. Combine that with facing a team that swept us in the regular season and who were far and away the best team in the league, nobody would be playing under pressure for us at all.

That can be a dangerous thing in a playoff series especially for a goalie, and considering its the last time we'd meet as division rivals i'm sure the Wings would love nothing more than to head over to the east after ruining Chicago's dream season.

Pittsburgh

Boston

Chicago

I honestly believe the Red Wings are the 4th best team in the league right now.

I edited the thread title to clarify what I think you meant.

You're asking what teams are better than the Wings, correct? And not which of the teams you listed are better than the others?

Guest The Axe

I edited the thread title to clarify what I think you meant.

You're asking what teams are better than the Wings, correct? And not which of the teams you listed are better than the others?

Yah. That works.

Sort of a cliche at this point, but: depends which Wings team we're talking about.

The Pens and 'hawks, at least, are better than us. Period. Maybe we could take 'em, but it'd be a brutal seven games. None of us would be able to lift the Cup. :unhappy:

The Bruins don't scare me, for whatever reason(s). I guess I see something of the Wings in them, namely the frustration factor. ("Which Bruins team will we see tonight?")

We've been pretty heinous about taking penalties. The Caps PP would probably eat us alive, though we're probably the better team overall.

The Sharks will always beat us. No, shut up. They win, we lose. It's just the way it is.

Canucks suck.

The Wild are the weakest team in the West. Harding is a great story, and you know I'm rooting my heart out for them in this series. But come on.

Actuallly, the Wild would probably sweep us. Just because that's how it is with us.

The Rangers are generally embarrasing. So they would beat us in three. Who's their worst player? He would destroy us.

The Habs have major head problems - but if they can get clicking, they're a very dangerous team. Subban is the best defenseman in the league, world. The size thing is overblown. Prust and Moen have more scare-factorage between them than everyone on our team combined.

The Leafs would goon us into oblivion. Though, can I just say, I don't understand how Kessel can be pretty much a point-per-game player but curl up and die every time he has to go up against Chara.

We would kill the Islanders. Kill them to death.

Kings are better than us, but we seem to handle them pretty well. When Dustin Brown is serving a suspension.

The Blues suck, but it's that weird Hitchcockian good-kind-of-suck. I imagine they'd beat us in six or seven-ish. Don't look at me like that. Big, mean, brusing, grinding, defense-centric teams with hot goalies own us in the postseason. Bouwmeester would score, like, nine goals in two games. Just because.

God I hate the Penguins.

Seriously, though, the Rangers are terrible. You know how we play when we suck? They always play like that.

It's just, they have Callahan, Girardi, Lundquist. And sometimes Nash. And Richards, if he feels like it.

They don't scare me at all.

Hawks, Ducks, Blues, Kings, Canucks, Bruins, Pittsburgh and Rangers at least with DannyK out

Sent from my BlackBerry

kings, no not at all, we could take them in 6. Ducks, c'mon we are proving to be a very good match for them, not to mention lots of analysts have us picked to win in 6. penguins, no, they just don't seem to do as well with hwsnbn back in the lineup, too many captains on one team, they are a good team, but as soon as he came back to the lineup the isles beat them. Canucks? hands down we are the better team. Rangers? that is laughable at best, too many skilled forwards has turned them all into floaters, we would win in 5

chicago maybe, but we can handle s***sburgh

It's interesting because I like Bylsma and generally think he's a good coach but multiple times in the playoffs now the Pens have gotten caught up in a run and gun mentality and it ends up costing them games. A big part of that blame has to be on coaching.

Unless he's operating on the theory that Fleury will always let in a couple so Pittsburgh's strategy is to outgun their opponents rather than try to lock it down defensively?

It's interesting because I like Bylsma and generally think he's a good coach but multiple times in the playoffs now the Pens have gotten caught up in a run and gun mentality and it ends up costing them games. A big part of that blame has to be on coaching.

Unless he's operating on the theory that Fleury will always let in a couple so Pittsburgh's strategy is to outgun their opponents rather than try to lock it down defensively?

they can't beat ourdefense enough to make up for their lack thereof

You can see us beating San Hosay?

Possibly. Niemi owns the Red Wings, but I don't see the Sharks as being superior to the Red Wings in many facets of the game like the other teams I listed. Their size does give the Red Wings fits though typically, so that would be challenging to overcome.

This thread is very arrogant.

We win one playoff game, and already we're hot s***. This is a team that struggled all year and barely made the playoffs. We're not talking about the old Red Wings here.

The play has been better recently, but I don't think we're better than half of the playoff teams. Most teams are built for the playoffs better than us.

This thread is very arrogant.

We win one playoff game, and already we're hot s***. This is a team that struggled all year and barely made the playoffs. We're not talking about the old Red Wings here.

The play has been better recently, but I don't think we're better than half of the playoff teams. Most teams are built for the playoffs better than us.

I agree, its the 1st round and it's 1-1. If we play 60 mins I like our team but if we get into that mode we were in during the 3rd the other night a junior team can beat us. I only can afford so many remotes for my tv, throwing them is no longer an option.

I agree, its the 1st round and it's 1-1. If we play 60 mins I like our team but if we get into that mode we were in during the 3rd the other night a junior team can beat us. I only can afford so many remotes for my tv, throwing them is no longer an option.

I picked us to win the series and am encouraged by Detroit's recent play.

However, I think we should sit back and take things into perspective, instead of listing off "playoff" teams that we're better than. Just seems like overreacting to me.

We're a 7 seed and likely wouldn't be any higher than 5th if we were healthy this season. We're still weak defensively and don't have much scoring depth. Howard is a question mark in the playoffs as well.