• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FlashyG

WCQF Game 3 GDT - Ducks 4 @ Red Wings 0 (ANA leads series 2-1)

Rate this topic

No blame on Howard yet. But he does need to bail out defense more often than that. It seems as though as soon as he gives up a couple of goals, everything goes down hill. It may be a confidence problem with the young defense and somewhat with Howard as well. Notice how with Lidstrom, giving up 2 goals still guaranteed you a comeback. Unfortunately Howard doesn't have that aura in front of him anymore and he's got to do it on his own. It's hard but he can do it.

How can a team in this day and age play Samuelsson and Cleary on the same powerplay unit?

Apparently Babcock doesn't realize that Cleary and Samuelsson aren't 2008 players anymore where they were somewhat decent and young. 5 years later.....

Have to score a goal to win and we had the chances to do it. Howie Im sure felt like he could have been better and though I don't fault him for last night (rather the way things played out after Abs hit) it seemed as if though even he didn't commit to a full 60 minutes. Boys have to be better tomorrow and show the compete level they showed the first part of game 2. Hopefully after what happened yesterday it lights a fire under them because even though it may be deemed a suspension for Justin, at least he's showing some intensity.

3 Games in and no news on Helm kills... His intensity is being missed.

Last nights game stunk of 2003 all over again...Goalie cannot score goals. Sure, goals 3 and 4 were goals that Howard could have had, maybe should have, but those things happen, to every goalie. Fact is, if Wings score on a PP or two, the game goes a whole different direction... Like 2003 I am no more blaming this lose on Howard as I didn't blame Cujo for the sweep. Team has to score goals, so when your goalie gives up a bad goal or two (and it will happen, right Roy? :lol: ) it doesn't hurt as bad...Ob La Di Ob La Da....Wings gotta score to win. I am glad we made the playoffs, but Holland needs to desperately address this come June and July...the Wings need scoring and a LEGIT #1 defender. I love our young D core, but they need that #1 D that can get the puck to the net and score himself...Kronwall is not it. Ericsson is not it. Who do we get? Dunno, but Yandle could fit the bill in a big way... If the Wings had a D-Man who could actually get the puck through to the net on a consistent basis, they would score more goals...and avoid games like last night.

Edited by LeftWinger

Last nights game stunk of 2003 all over again...Goalie cannot score goals. Sure, goals 3 and 4 were goals that Howard could have had, maybe should have, but those things happen, to every goalie. Fact is, if Wings score on a PP or two, the game goes a whole different direction... Like 2003 I am no more blaming this lose on Howard as I didn't blame Cujo for the sweep. Team has to score goals, so when your goalie gives up a bad goal or two (and it will happen, right Roy? :lol: ) it doesn't hurt as bad...Ob La Di Ob La Da....Wings gotta score to win. I am glad we made the playoffs, but Holland needs to desperately address this come June and July...the Wings need scoring and a LEGIT #1 defender. I love our young D core, but they need that #1 D that can get the puck to the net and score himself...Kronwall is not it. Ericsson is not it. Who do we get? Dunno, but Yandle could fit the bill in a big way... If the Wings had a D-Man who could actually get the puck through to the net on a consistent basis, they would score more goals...and avoid games like last night.

I simple refuse to think that Holland would be content with this team going forward, no matter what happens in the playoffs. Changes are needed, bring in new faces Clarkson would be good hint, add an enforcer and bring in a number 1 defenseman, if the Blues can not come to terms with Pietrangelo ore are trying to penny pinch offersheet the guy! Yandle is a good second pairing guy but I don't trust him as a solid number 1. I also think a guy like Phaneuf could help a lot not sure he likes the 24/7 media-attention known as Toronto.

On a positive side I am very impressed with our young core, getting these guys has been a masterful job by Holland and company.

How could you get charging out of that? AB's was gliding for 10ft prior to impact. There was no penalty. If this was the Scott Stevens era there would have been nothing but a momentum shift for the wings.

Because Abs took several strides in the same direction to make the hit. I don't know the exact rules but that's the only thing I could see being called and I said at most that is what could be called when the refs stretch to find something wrong like they always do. I think the hit warranted no penalty at all because I think you need like 5 strides to call charging. Bettman has these refs heads so screwed up, they don't even know what's a penalty and what isn't any more and they are under so much pressure to protect a player that when they see someone shaken up from a play, they have a confab and kick out the 'offender'.

It's ruining the game but what the hell can we do about it? I'm just glad players like Konstantinov weren't born 10 or 15 years later and we actually got to see them play in an era how hockey was meant to be played.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

I simple refuse to think that Holland would be content with this team going forward, no matter what happens in the playoffs. Changes are needed, bring in new faces Clarkson would be good hint, add an enforcer and bring in a number 1 defenseman, if the Blues can not come to terms with Pietrangelo ore are trying to penny pinch offersheet the guy! Yandle is a good second pairing guy but I don't trust him as a solid number 1. I also think a guy like Phaneuf could help a lot not sure he likes the 24/7 media-attention known as Toronto.

On a positive side I am very impressed with our young core, getting these guys has been a masterful job by Holland and company.

Well you can surely rule out a Detroit and Toronto deal for Phaneuf considering they will in the same division next season...but I like your thinking! Problem is, there just isn't that #1 guy available out there right now. Not anyone that a team is ready to trade at least...

also, regarding changing this team. This may be the last straw out in Vancouver if they get eliminated in the 1st round. This off season would be the ideal time to convince them to take on Franzen's contract and trade him for Burrows. I maintain that this is a win win trade for both teams. Vancouver needs chance, Detroit needs change. Vancouver needs cap relief, Detroit has cap room. Franzen has chemistry with the Sedins and Burrows would fit in on Datsyuks wing and possibly help convince him to stay a bit longer with the numbers he would put up. I know Franzen turned it on a bit the last week of the season, but its just time for a change and if you are going to get anyone of significance, you have to trade someone. I think the attraction of Franzen playing with the Sedins is enough to interest Vancouver...especially as they yet again have a horrific playoff fail... Then I still think trading Filppula's rights is a smart move, because if he wants $5M, he hasn't earned it here and we need to get something in return for him. I would be willing to trade him to Dallas for Cole and have a scoring winger here. I know, Cole was booed out of Montreal, but in that town, if you don't play like Guy LaFleur or if you aren't French Canadian, you are not welcome. Heck, Toronto booed Larry Murphy out of town and look how he turned out for us...I think Erik Cole would return to his 30 goal form if playing on one of our top two lines.

I want to stop at turning this into a trade/line thread, but I just wanted to add to your post on changing this team.

Edited by LeftWinger

lydman.gif

#1 principal point of contact was the head, he got body too, but shoulder first went into the head. Rule 48

#2 He left his feet on the hit, that's also against the rules, and according to rule 42 that makes it a charge

So this is just another case of Abdelkader being a bonehead, and making a stupid play in the playoffs that costs the Wings a game.

His skates are on the ice when contact is made. Then he pushes upward like EVERY hockey player is taught to do! Unless the rules have changed on me then this postion is NOT illegal.

Ab's shoulder clearly makes contact with Lydman's clavicle region which is inside shoulder thus meaning shoulder to shoulder.

Even Fowler was quoted saying that Ab's ins't the type of guy that would do something like that [head shot]. If you think that hit was illegal you must have hated the NHL 5 seasons back.

Plus look at the Ref stand right there and make NO CALL! Besides Lydman that Ref has the best view.

Edited by WINGS TILL DEATH