Was at the game last night. The pre-game was awesome like usual and the atmosphere was electric. Unfortunately, everything after that point wasn't very memorable.
- Didn't like the way Babcock played last change in this game. I wouldn't use top line against top line personally. I think it negates the one line the Wings need to have going at even strength. Let Filppula's line matchup against Getzlaf instead. They can handle their own defensively.
- Game was lost really in the first period. Too many chances on the PP and nothing to show for it. Why do they insist on making cute passes through the middle instead of shooting the puck? The guys at the point did very poorly getting shots through to the net as well.
- NHL officials are doing a real quality job ruining playoff hockey again. Nobody knows what a penalty is still on a nightly basis. Put the whistles away and let the players decide the damn outcome.
- The Red Wings really miss DeKeyser and it was obvious. His speed and ability to move the puck out can't be replaced. The entire defense struggled with the Ducks forecheck and clearing the zone. They get pinned in deep and can't transition to offense because no one on defense can get the puck back and make the first pass out cleanly. Kindl and Lashoff especially broke down defensively.
- Jimmy was good, even with the lopsided score. Could have been far worse before the Wings threw in the towel during the third without Jimmy keeping them in it prior to the collapse.
Season rides on tomorrow night. Anything less than 60 minutes of desperate hockey will be disappointing.